EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
September 2nd, 2010 at 11:35:28 PM permalink
Do you believe luck is a force in the universe, or is it just a word we use to describe events that go or don't go our way. Not a bad question, you'd be surprised at the number of people who've never contemplated this before.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 2nd, 2010 at 11:38:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Do you believe luck is a force in the universe, or is it just a word we use to describe events that go or don't go our way. Not a bad question, you'd be surprised at the number of people who've never contemplated this before.

There is no such thing as "luck", in the way most people use the term: some sort of guiding/malicious/fickle force that changes the course of otherwise random events.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
chook
chook
  • Threads: 5
September 2nd, 2010 at 11:49:17 PM permalink
It's just another four letter word.
But, thankfully not the foulest: - work.
You can't trust a dog to mind your food.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 293
September 3rd, 2010 at 5:04:19 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

There is the purely factual observation that the distribution of random events can be expected to be skewed. Thus on a given night, you might do well at a game where there is a House Edge. Etc. Etc.

Since life often means doing well at critical moments, you can have bad or good luck at those critical moments. There is the U.S. Grant phenomenon, for example, a failure in life who will be able to shine in the right circumstance [leading troops, but must be given second chances at that too] and along comes a long war.

Currently, there is a certain debate about good and bad years to be born. Now that is luck. See links.

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/2008/11/18/colbert-malcolm-gladwell-reveals-the-secret-to-becoming-rich/

http://www.patricktaylor.com/1351
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
September 3rd, 2010 at 5:09:48 AM permalink
Luck absolutely DOES exist.

Unfortunately, it exists in two forms: Good and bad. It is always balanced, and you never know which side of the balance sheet you're standing on...
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
September 3rd, 2010 at 6:38:28 AM permalink
Luck only exists in hindsight.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 176
September 3rd, 2010 at 6:43:59 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

Luck only exists in hindsight.

Agreed, or in your imagination as hope.

It helps to understand that it can be seen as a secondary value, as an artifact of the human mind. It is used to make sense of a world that can often defy understanding. It refers not to events, but to our relationship with events.
NO KILL I
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 3rd, 2010 at 6:49:42 AM permalink
Nareed's 12th Law: There's no such thing as luck.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
September 3rd, 2010 at 8:49:32 AM permalink
Jim's 13th Law: There is such a thing as luck.
chook
chook
  • Threads: 5
September 3rd, 2010 at 1:57:53 PM permalink
I don't know if it's just my imagination but I seems to run in cycles.
I think it was Pittsburgh Phil who said that you should double your bets when winning and halve them when losing.
You can't trust a dog to mind your food.

• Jump to: