EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
June 5th, 2012 at 4:47:03 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

Ron Paul 2012!

Isn't Ron Paul in a retirement home or something? I saw
him on TV and he looks like he retired in 1989..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 5th, 2012 at 4:53:21 PM permalink
I think he looks good for his age. I hope I live to be a 100 like him.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 14
June 5th, 2012 at 4:54:16 PM permalink
Don't most members of Congress look like they retired in 1989?
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 52
June 5th, 2012 at 5:21:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Isn't Ron Paul in a retirement home or something? I saw
him on TV and he looks like he retired in 1989..

Ron Paul is a wonderful, principled man and I am so proud to support him. In fact I will be voting for him in less than 2 hours, I am very excited.

As you have hit upon here, people tend to judge politicians on the way they look and carry themselves rather than their positions or integrity.
Vote for Nobody 2016!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
June 6th, 2012 at 7:24:37 AM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

As you have hit upon here, people tend to judge politicians on the way they look and carry themselves rather than their positions or integrity.

But once you reject their positions, isn't it then okay to make fun of the way they look and carry themselves? Because these days, I hear and see a lot about that tall skinny big eared guy with the funny sounding name who is in the White House at the moment despite him being born in Kenya and all that.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
June 6th, 2012 at 9:04:45 AM permalink
Ron Paul's position is for freedom in America. I hope nobody here has rejected that position.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 52
June 6th, 2012 at 9:45:02 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

But once you reject their positions, isn't it then okay to make fun of the way they look and carry themselves? Because these days, I hear and see a lot about that tall skinny big eared guy with the funny sounding name who is in the White House at the moment despite him being born in Kenya and all that.

I am a libertarian, do you really think that I am going to tell you that something is not ok? ;) Obama was elected on a rockstar platform, though, so it is a bit more relevant though when he loses his rockstar appeal.
Vote for Nobody 2016!
Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
June 6th, 2012 at 2:15:15 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

Ron Paul's position is for freedom in America. I hope nobody here has rejected that position.

Exactly!

I don't agree with Paul on everything, but Paul's platform is simple - FOLLOW THE CONSTITUTION, and preserve Liberty. Paul is very Libertarian leaning, for sure, but in his personal life he's very conservative. The difference between him and most of his fellow Republicans is that he doesn't want to use the arm of government to enforce a conservative lifestyle onto YOU. I don't see how you could possibly reject his platform as a whole, (especially because he's been ridiculously accurate predicting economic bubbles, and up until recently, everyone thought he was a nutjob, yet everything he predicted happened.) but I do see how plenty of people could disagree with certain positions he holds.

There is plenty of things in the Constitution that Libertarians disagree with, or at least that I disagree with, and I consider myself a Conservative and Libertarian. But that is the Supreme Law of the land.

What's silly about people making fun of his age is that he's in better health than most of his younger colleagues. When asked about how his age would affect his ability to govern, he challenged the other candidates to a 25 mile bike ride. With the exception of (at the time) Rick Perry, I doubt anyone else in the field would have been able to do a 25 mile bike ride, I know I'd get pooped out. It's basically an irrevlevent criticism of him. Although, yes, unless some crazy upset happens in Tampa, he will retire, and he deserves to be able to retire.

Gary Johnson 2012!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
June 6th, 2012 at 6:13:26 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

That's everyone's position. It's the libertarian positions that will make America less free that people reject.
Quote: Boney526

The difference between him and most of his fellow Republicans is that he doesn't want to use the arm of government to enforce a conservative lifestyle onto YOU.

Actually, he's all for using big government to regulate a woman's uterus.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
June 6th, 2012 at 9:51:08 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

That's everyone's position. It's the libertarian positions that will make America less free that people reject.Actually, he's all for using big government to regulate a woman's uterus.

That's BS rhetoric.

That's the protection of a human fetus' right to life. Agree or disagree with his position on abortion, that clearly constitutes an acceptable use of government if you accept the fetus as a living person. That's almost like saying, "actually, he's all for using government to regulate a person's organs" if he's against allowing people to shoot each other (because your body has organs, and the bullets would harm them). That's a logical fallacy because it's not about the woman's uterus, it's about the life inside that uterus. And we have the god given right to life. You've basically bastardized his argument.

Like I said, though, he's very libertarian leaning, but he's a conservative. Libertarians disagree on this issue, with more right leaning libertarians generally leaning pro-life and more left leaning libertarians leaning pro-choice.

• Jump to: