JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 244
January 16th, 2012 at 3:10:32 PM permalink
WICKED is actually a pretty good idea, I bet
that would have a big following and do well
for several years.
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 16th, 2012 at 3:29:10 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

WICKED is actually a pretty good idea, I bet that would have a big following and do well for several years.

The keys to a successful Broadway show run in Vegas (according to Tiltpoul):

1) Easily identifiable with 85% of the public- Vegas visitors don't care about high art, and in a land of in your face, a show has to be KNOWN before they get their. (Failures: Starlight Express)

2) Mass appeal to families and mixed audiences- Even though we hate it, Vegas still caters to families a little. A Broadway show has to appeal (or be appropriate for) the entire family. (Failure: Avenue Q)

3) Big Time Special Effects- The show has to compete with magic shows, Cirque, and huge spectacles for free on the strip. If you're paying to see a show, it needs at least HALF that. (Failure: Hairspray)

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any now. But think of the shows that HAVE done well on the Strip... Phantom, Lion King, EFX (not really Broadway, but close and it does meet rule 1 as the star was identifiable and sold above the title).
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 48
January 16th, 2012 at 6:27:33 PM permalink
Wicked is going to be at the new Smith center later this year.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 16th, 2012 at 6:44:03 PM permalink
Does anyone know what songs were cut from the Vegas Phantom?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 16th, 2012 at 7:49:49 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Does anyone know what songs were cut from the Vegas Phantom?

If I remember correctly (I can't find my program), only a reprise and the rehearsal of Don Juan Triumphant were the only things completely cut from the show. Little Lotte was trimmed down, and perhaps I Remember/Stranger Than You Dream It was as well. The biggest thing cut was anything having to do with the stupid lasso. They did a little move of some songs to make it one act too.

Really, there wasn't a lot that anybody would miss. The show is probably too long anyways, with a lot of repeats and repetitive musical phrases.

Maybe "Love Never Dies" will take its place...

[Edit] As I typed this, I listened again to Wishing You Were Somehow Again... this is such a pretty song, and my favorite, probably because it's not as well known as some of the other songs.

Btw, if you have a chance to catch a documentary on the making of the musical, it is FASCINATING!!! Seriously, this show almost never happened... My favorite story from that...

ALW was never really happy with the lyrics produced by original lyricist Richard Stilgoe (lyricist for Starlight Express). The lyrics to "All I Ask of You" are LAUGHABLE now, like a middle school poem, compared to what the show is now. Anyways, a young lyricist Charles Hart received a tape of some music he thought was going to be in ALW's new show "By Jeeves." He was asked to submit lyrics, not knowing anything about the show, plot, characters or anything. The tune was "Think of Me" and the lyrics were written EXACTLY how they appeared in Phantom... so Stilgoe was out, and Hart became the new lyricist.

However, since the song "Phantom of the Opera" was released as a UK Pop Hit already, Stilgoe still receives a writing credit in the production.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
January 17th, 2012 at 9:13:21 AM permalink
I remember seeing Starlight Express in Vegas. The skating was cool :)

I've seen the touring version of Phantom a couple times, and V's Phantom once. I liked them all.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 17th, 2012 at 10:13:54 AM permalink
Stilgoe was always known in the UK for his more satirical comedy lyrics and songs. He also did a fantastic kids game show based around Battleships that had general knowledge and tactics and strategy.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 17th, 2012 at 1:26:15 PM permalink
As a rule I don't much care for musicals (long story). But if anyone did a production of Mel Brooks' "The Producers" in Vegas, I'd go see it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 17th, 2012 at 1:27:57 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

As a rule I don't much care for musicals (long story). But if anyone did a production of Mel Brooks' "The Producers" in Vegas, I'd go see it.

You missed the boat there... Paris put on a production of the Producers, which at one time starred, get this, DAVID HASSELHOFF!!! Tony Danza also did a stint in the show, and I think that might have been a palatable performance, despite him getting a bad rap.

[EDIT] This show breaks rule 3, not enough special effects. It could also break rule 2, which is that it's not really a family show.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 17th, 2012 at 1:28:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Erm... they did. It was at Paris. It had the Hoff. It closed.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: