NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
January 15th, 2012 at 5:16:07 PM permalink
So it was announced last week that Phantom is closing in September... Boo I love the show, and it is our Wizards favorite too! (I say that sarcastically) They spent over 70 million on it for only a 6 year run. Some did not like the short version, but I thought it was amazing visually and it captured the whole show well.

Phantom Closing
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 15th, 2012 at 5:17:23 PM permalink
The link doesn't work.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
January 15th, 2012 at 5:39:52 PM permalink
Saw it a couple of summers ago and we also enjoyed
it. Made more sense to me than several of the Cirque
shows we have seen.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 15th, 2012 at 6:24:31 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Made more sense to me than several of the Cirque shows we have seen.

I never understood why people say that. The Cirque shows for the most part don't pretend to be about plots. How do you judge something against a standard that it is not even trying to accomplish?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 15th, 2012 at 6:53:57 PM permalink
You know, I saw it as a play back in Mexico in the late 70s (obviously not the Broadway musical), and I know I saw a movie version once. but for the life of me, I can't recall what it was about.

No need to post the plot. If I want to know it I'll look it up online.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 15th, 2012 at 9:45:08 PM permalink
It was OK. I saw it at the Venetian. I've seen it 4 other times. All 4 other times were better. It still beats many other shows on Vegas.

I'd rather see a different show at the Venetian.

Change is good.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 16th, 2012 at 9:46:21 AM permalink
I saw the show last February, and got my ticket at the half priced place outside Bill's. I had an EXCELLENT seat, and could have easily moved to a better one, as the night I saw it had maybe 150 people. I'm surprised they didn't close it sooner.

As for the show itself, it's a pretty good production of a decent show. It's Andrew Lloyd Webber, and anybody who really knows musicals can NOT take him all that seriously, but Phantom is worthy of being up there with some really good shows. Some of the cuts are very welcome. Anthony Crivello (sp?) was a TERRIBLE Phantom, laughable in his fireball scene. However, the girl who played Christine was good, and Meg was EXCELLENT.

After seeing the show, my favorite song is now "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again..." I think I'm going to listen to that right now!
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 16th, 2012 at 10:48:30 AM permalink
Although I personally didn't care for Phantom, I'm sorry to see it go. I'd like to see less Cirque in Vegas and more conventional theater. I wish the Vegas show scene were more like a west-coast Broadway.

I applaud the Venetian for staying away from Cirque and Cirque imitations thus far, and hope whatever replaces it will continue that trend.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 16th, 2012 at 1:18:53 PM permalink
I don't like Phantom or Cirque, go figure. I have a
really hard time staying awake at live performances,
I always think they're boring. Actors and performers
doing something they've done hundreds of times
before. Yawn.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 16th, 2012 at 3:07:45 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Although I personally didn't care for Phantom, I'm sorry to see it go. I'd like to see less Cirque in Vegas and more conventional theater. I wish the Vegas show scene were more like a west-coast Broadway.

I applaud the Venetian for staying away from Cirque and Cirque imitations thus far, and hope whatever replaces it will continue that trend.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised they haven't announced a show taking its place. I could easily see a 90-minute version of Wicked fitting into the same kind niche market. In fact, I'd welcome that show being pared down to 90-minutes, since there is so much useless fluff in it anyways.

Rock of Ages would be a good fit, except that's pretty much a Vegas show taken to Broadway. There really aren't any other shows that would fit the Venetian niche market (show-wise) that haven't already had a Vegas run (i.e. Hairspray, Avenue Q, Spamalot).

Maybe they'll stage a revival of Oh, Calcutta! ;)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
January 16th, 2012 at 3:10:32 PM permalink
WICKED is actually a pretty good idea, I bet
that would have a big following and do well
for several years.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 16th, 2012 at 3:29:10 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

WICKED is actually a pretty good idea, I bet that would have a big following and do well for several years.

The keys to a successful Broadway show run in Vegas (according to Tiltpoul):

1) Easily identifiable with 85% of the public- Vegas visitors don't care about high art, and in a land of in your face, a show has to be KNOWN before they get their. (Failures: Starlight Express)

2) Mass appeal to families and mixed audiences- Even though we hate it, Vegas still caters to families a little. A Broadway show has to appeal (or be appropriate for) the entire family. (Failure: Avenue Q)

3) Big Time Special Effects- The show has to compete with magic shows, Cirque, and huge spectacles for free on the strip. If you're paying to see a show, it needs at least HALF that. (Failure: Hairspray)

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any now. But think of the shows that HAVE done well on the Strip... Phantom, Lion King, EFX (not really Broadway, but close and it does meet rule 1 as the star was identifiable and sold above the title).
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
January 16th, 2012 at 6:27:33 PM permalink
Wicked is going to be at the new Smith center later this year.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 16th, 2012 at 6:44:03 PM permalink
Does anyone know what songs were cut from the Vegas Phantom?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 16th, 2012 at 7:49:49 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Does anyone know what songs were cut from the Vegas Phantom?

If I remember correctly (I can't find my program), only a reprise and the rehearsal of Don Juan Triumphant were the only things completely cut from the show. Little Lotte was trimmed down, and perhaps I Remember/Stranger Than You Dream It was as well. The biggest thing cut was anything having to do with the stupid lasso. They did a little move of some songs to make it one act too.

Really, there wasn't a lot that anybody would miss. The show is probably too long anyways, with a lot of repeats and repetitive musical phrases.

Maybe "Love Never Dies" will take its place...

[Edit] As I typed this, I listened again to Wishing You Were Somehow Again... this is such a pretty song, and my favorite, probably because it's not as well known as some of the other songs.

Btw, if you have a chance to catch a documentary on the making of the musical, it is FASCINATING!!! Seriously, this show almost never happened... My favorite story from that...

ALW was never really happy with the lyrics produced by original lyricist Richard Stilgoe (lyricist for Starlight Express). The lyrics to "All I Ask of You" are LAUGHABLE now, like a middle school poem, compared to what the show is now. Anyways, a young lyricist Charles Hart received a tape of some music he thought was going to be in ALW's new show "By Jeeves." He was asked to submit lyrics, not knowing anything about the show, plot, characters or anything. The tune was "Think of Me" and the lyrics were written EXACTLY how they appeared in Phantom... so Stilgoe was out, and Hart became the new lyricist.

However, since the song "Phantom of the Opera" was released as a UK Pop Hit already, Stilgoe still receives a writing credit in the production.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
January 17th, 2012 at 9:13:21 AM permalink
I remember seeing Starlight Express in Vegas. The skating was cool :)

I've seen the touring version of Phantom a couple times, and V's Phantom once. I liked them all.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 17th, 2012 at 10:13:54 AM permalink
Stilgoe was always known in the UK for his more satirical comedy lyrics and songs. He also did a fantastic kids game show based around Battleships that had general knowledge and tactics and strategy.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2012 at 1:26:15 PM permalink
As a rule I don't much care for musicals (long story). But if anyone did a production of Mel Brooks' "The Producers" in Vegas, I'd go see it.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 17th, 2012 at 1:27:57 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

As a rule I don't much care for musicals (long story). But if anyone did a production of Mel Brooks' "The Producers" in Vegas, I'd go see it.

You missed the boat there... Paris put on a production of the Producers, which at one time starred, get this, DAVID HASSELHOFF!!! Tony Danza also did a stint in the show, and I think that might have been a palatable performance, despite him getting a bad rap.

[EDIT] This show breaks rule 3, not enough special effects. It could also break rule 2, which is that it's not really a family show.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 17th, 2012 at 1:28:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Erm... they did. It was at Paris. It had the Hoff. It closed.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2012 at 1:33:44 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

You missed the boat there... Paris put on a production of the Producers, which at one time starred, get this, DAVID HASSELHOFF!!! Tony Danza also did a stint in the show, and I think that might have been a palatable performance, despite him getting a bad rap.

That must have been long before I discovered Vegas in 2008. I know because for that first trip I spent weeks researching shows to see.

David Hasselhoff? Really? I assume in the role originally played by Nathan Lane? Man, that's, well, words fail me. I know you won't get Lane to perform in vegas, not for long anyway. But since he did the Broadway original and the movie, you need someone nearly as talented.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 17th, 2012 at 1:47:21 PM permalink
The Producers closed in Feb 2008.

The Hoff left the show after his drinking caught up with him (see the youtube video of him eating a burger on the floor if you care for such TMZ highlights...)
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 17th, 2012 at 3:04:25 PM permalink
Hoff played "Roger" the cross dresser. Danza played a different role...to 3/4 empty crowds.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
January 17th, 2012 at 3:14:04 PM permalink
OMG! Phantom is closing?!?! :(

Ironically last night I listened through all the tracks of the original Phantom of the Opera that I have in my iTunes library. I was thinking of how much I loved seeing the show at the Venetian last February (same time I joined the forum here). I've never seen the Broadway version and although, like Nareed, I don't care for musicals at all, I've always loved the music to this show since high school. When I saw this at the Venetian last year I was in heaven. I paid $175 for my ticket. I was surprised at how many empty seats there were. I sat 5th row center but probably would've liked it better maybe 10 rows back instead. When the song "Phantom of the Opera" started playing and the Phantom "rows" himself and Christine out in the boat I started getting choked up. I soooooo loved this show and am so sad to see it go. I'm going to have to see it again if I can before they shut it down. EvenBob said the provided link isn't working, does anyone know how much longer the show will go on for?

This deserves another frowny face. :(
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
January 17th, 2012 at 4:01:29 PM permalink
It closes Sept 2
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
January 17th, 2012 at 6:11:14 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

It closes Sept 2

Well I won't be able to see it during my October trip but I may have a chance to catch it one last time when I'm there briefly in April.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
January 17th, 2012 at 6:45:50 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Hoff played "Roger" the cross dresser. Danza played a different role...to 3/4 empty crowds.

Danza stepped into the top billing role as Bialystock, the Nathan Lane character, after Hoff left. I think I would have liked his interpretation of that role, as it would be different than the emotive Lane or original Zero Mostel.

That theatre at Paris is a very nice stage for Broadway style productions. I still think Wicked in a 90-minute show would be a great fit for Vegas.

I forgot to mention one of my favorite write-ups in a tour guide book before Phantom began in Vegas. This was a preview of sorts, but it was called Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular. I don't remember the article word-for-word, but they said it would be different as the Phantom would deal a few hands of Blackjack at the intermission!
Nareed
Nareed
January 17th, 2012 at 7:06:25 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The Producers closed in Feb 2008.

Ah, back then I was still deciding on where to spend my vacation. I mulled a Mex-Vegas-Seattle trip, but it was too expensive.
  • Jump to: