pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 24th, 2015 at 6:38:00 PM permalink
I understand that Rock in Rio has set up a permanent venue next to Circus circus at the corner of the Strip and Sahara Blvd (the El Rancho resort April 3, 1941- July 17, 1960).

What is the venue like? I think the image below is not a photograph, but a rendition. Does it look really nice? Are they going to operate it year round?

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
May 24th, 2015 at 7:03:18 PM permalink
I encountered this when I was there last weekend for the WoV 2015 Spring Fling. I didn't really get a good look at the venue, but my impression was that it was a temporary setup.

The festival created a substantial traffic jam in the area. I am not a local, and I didn't know it was going on, so I made the mistake of driving right through there. On Friday evening I was headed from Rio/Gold Coast to Main Street Station. It was 5:00, so I didn't want to get in the jam I expected on I-15. Instead, I selected a route north on Valley View and east on Sahara (to avoid the center-strip traffic), then Las Vegas Blvd and Main Street.

Because of the festival, Sahara eastbound was a nightmare from just after the interstate until Las Vegas Blvd., where the traffic signals were disabled, and they had a large crew ineffectively directing the cars through the intersection. By the time I knew what was going on, it was far too late to try a different route. Then, after I got to Main Street, I learned of all the construction there, for a second nightmare. The trip took me a full hour.

After our evening downtown, I thought I could return via Las Vegas Blvd. but only as far as Paradise, my normal bypass to avoid the strip traffic. Unfortunately, they had lanes of Las Vegas Blvd. blocked for several blocks prior to the cut-over to Paradise. I think they only had a single lane of the strip open southbound in the vicinity of Sahara, and I have no idea what that was all about. It took forever to get out of there.
  • Jump to: