hook3670
hook3670
  • Threads: 38
March 2nd, 2012 at 8:30:32 AM permalink
I think the History channel has a series of shows called "How States Got Their Shape". They tackle three or four states per episode. I have only watched one and it was quite fascinating. it was on Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky. believe it or not from what I remeber(its been a while since I watched the show) there was a real live fued back in the day between two families on either side of the border and it was the original Hatfields and McCoys.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
March 2nd, 2012 at 10:55:16 AM permalink
Quote: hook3670

... there was a real live fued back in the day between two families on either side of the border and it was the original Hatfields and McCoys.

That was a genuine feud, mostly in WVa, I think. Eventually the McCoys retreated across a range or two of mountains to the vicinity of Blacksburg, VA, where I grew up. There is a small community/town of McCoy, VA near Blacksburg and on the banks of the New River. Lots of folks named McCoy in that area.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 2nd, 2012 at 11:14:18 AM permalink
Quote: hook3670

I think the History channel has a series of shows called "How States Got Their Shape". They tackle three or four states per episode. I have only watched one and it was quite fascinating. it was on Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky. believe it or not from what I remeber(its been a while since I watched the show) there was a real live fued back in the day between two families on either side of the border and it was the original Hatfields and McCoys.

Quote: A River Runs Through It

Premiere Date: 05/03/2011
How has water has literally shaped the States? There's surprising history hidden in the blue, squiggly lines on the map. Did the founding fathers make a mistake along the Georgia Tennessee border? Can that boundary actually change because of water? Why does Maine have so much water? Why was Nevada was left high and dry? -- All these answers can be found in the unique shapes of these states.
TVPG

• Jump to: