thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 28th, 2014 at 6:58:01 PM permalink
Entry opens on April 2nd. I am intending to enter the half marathon this year, making it my third half. All of my running has been at sea level in the lush, damp Pacific Northwest. Any tips from the Wizard or other runners on training for running in Vegas? What to expect from the conditions, and the route? I expect 1000's of folsk, but that's not so bad as I'm used to running in 4-10,000 entry races, though I expect this to be on an even bigger scale.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
March 28th, 2014 at 9:59:51 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Entry opens on April 2nd. I am intending to enter the half marathon this year, making it my third half. All of my running has been at sea level in the lush, damp Pacific Northwest. Any tips from the Wizard or other runners on training for running in Vegas? What to expect from the conditions, and the route? I expect 1000's of folsk, but that's not so bad as I'm used to running in 4-10,000 entry races, though I expect this to be on an even bigger scale.

I did a 5k at 6am in August in Vegas and it was 96 degrees. I nearly died. Keep hydrated and pace yourself more than normal. Not sure when you run, but just know it can be pretty brutal. Dry heat means nothing if its over 95 degrees.
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 29th, 2014 at 1:16:54 AM permalink
The run is 5pm or later in mid-November. It's meant to be around 60-70F during the day. Still hotter than my normal running weather, but less excessive than 96F... which would be BRUTAL.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 2nd, 2014 at 4:19:20 PM permalink
And... I've entered. Now to keep the training up.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 24th, 2014 at 2:05:13 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

And... I've entered. Now to keep the training up.

Hoping to finish in under 2h15m for the Half. Looking possible at present, my training runs have gone well, but it will be a PR, so who knows.

I'll be a round for a few days after the race too. Is the Wiz running the half this year?
  • Jump to: