kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
April 26th, 2011 at 9:08:37 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

The Internet is not "the USA" and this is not a court of law. If the Wizard wants to ban someone "just because", he gets to. It's his website. But that's beside the point, which is that the Wizard already did ban JerryLogan. He returned anyway, multiple times, using different screen names. At this point, it's a question of technology, not of policy. The forum rules are very clear on this point -- signing up under multiple accounts is grounds for immediate expulsion. Given that Jerry (a) was banned for life, (b) admitted to signing up under multiple accounts, and (c) in spite of those points is still being allowed to post here, I'm simply questioning the technology backend which seems to be hampering the Wizard's implementation of his own rules.

I have no problem with the Wiz being God. It is his site and he can set the rules. Us mere mortals can always find another God to follow if we don't agree. It is the fact that everyone else is set up as a Demi-God and I feel abusing their power.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
April 26th, 2011 at 2:32:56 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

The Internet is not "the USA" and this is not a court of law. If the Wizard wants to ban someone "just because", he gets to. It's his website. But that's beside the point, which is that the Wizard already did ban JerryLogan. He returned anyway, multiple times, using different screen names. At this point, it's a question of technology, not of policy. The forum rules are very clear on this point -- signing up under multiple accounts is grounds for immediate expulsion. Given that Jerry (a) was banned for life, (b) admitted to signing up under multiple accounts, and (c) in spite of those points is still being allowed to post here, I'm simply questioning the technology backend which seems to be hampering the Wizard's implementation of his own rules.

No, it's not a court of law but the Wizard, in his fairness, seems to be thinking along the lines of beyond a reasonable doubt when he states "I know that tends to protect the guilty but I'd rather do that than punish the innocent." It is indeed his site and he can and should do whatever he sees fit. I agree that anyone that continuously disrupts this forum should be banned. No one should take the time to compose a post only to be insulted and ridiculed by some jerk.

The sticking point is the amount of power wielded by each and every member and the great potential for abuse which we have already seen. Nowhere in the rules does it say to flag a poster based on who it is or might be.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer." Blackstone's formulation
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 159
April 26th, 2011 at 4:11:01 PM permalink
If someone can still contact the Wizard to complain about being flagged for no reason, then there is a remedy to potential abuse of power. If someone, for some reason can't send a pm to the Wizard, then maybe it is a problem. I see no problem, otherwise.

In the words of Alfred E. Neuman, "What me worry?"
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: