Thread Rating:

Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
November 16th, 2015 at 6:00:46 PM permalink
Quote: Kentry

I know of a guy who was suspended for asking women questions about their private parts and came back under 16 accounts. So, it could be a lot worse.


Is that a clue to your real identity?
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
wudged
wudged
Joined: Aug 7, 2013
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 998
November 16th, 2015 at 6:17:51 PM permalink
Quote: TheGrimReaper13

The King (of England, or the country of your choice,) says, carry on.



Is tournament a country?
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
November 16th, 2015 at 7:19:00 PM permalink
I think the problem here is we're not
only supposed to follow the rule of
no personal insults, we're also to
follow the spirit of the rule. Meaning
we aren't in 4th grade where your
goal is to find a way around every
rule you're given to follow.

So some members say, well, I can't
insult someone blatantly, so I'll
skirt the rule by saying nasty things
and implying it's the person I
want to insult. That's going against
the spirit of the rule. It's what got
you sent to the principles office
in grade school, and what gets
you suspended here.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 4429
November 16th, 2015 at 7:24:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I think the problem here is we're not
only supposed to follow the rule of
no personal insults, we're also to
follow the spirit of the rule. Meaning
we aren't in 4th grade where your
goal is to find a way around every
rule you're given to follow.

So some members say, well, I can't
insult someone blatantly, so I'll
skirt the rule by saying nasty things
and implying it's the person I
want to insult. That's going against
the spirit of the rule. It's what got
you sent to the principles office
in grade school, and what gets
you suspended here.



How can YOU even have the gonads to post this? NOBODY skirts the rules, and bates people right up to the line as much as you do.
RonC
RonC
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
November 16th, 2015 at 7:28:16 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I think the problem here is we're not
only supposed to follow the rule of
no personal insults, we're also to
follow the spirit of the rule. Meaning
we aren't in 4th grade where your
goal is to find a way around every
rule you're given to follow.

So some members say, well, I can't
insult someone blatantly, so I'll
skirt the rule by saying nasty things
and implying it's the person I
want to insult. That's going against
the spirit of the rule. It's what got
you sent to the principles office
in grade school, and what gets
you suspended here.



Your sense of humor always keeps me in stitches...
Dodsferd
Dodsferd
Joined: Jun 10, 2015
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 375
November 16th, 2015 at 7:29:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I think the problem here... [snip]



It's a common issue among any means of communication which allows for a degree of anonymity. A venue of communication such as an internet forum, is much more prone to reaching degrees or touching on aspects that are otherwise uncommon in places such as a public meeting.

Given that forum members are hidden behind a user name and a picture, there is a level of comfort that can be taken when someone knows they're being invisible per se.

You could argue that many of the "insults" or other heated debates would certainly be conducted in the same manner in person, and I would be inclined to agree. However, in that circumstance, the result would be entirely different. Whether that result was an escalated conflict, a resolution (peaceful or otherwise), or something entirely different, a result would none-the-less be reached.

In a medium such as a forum, the result is either a consensus to end the conflict, or face suspension. The suspension, in all reality, is no different than having a toddler sit in the corner for X number of minutes. Have they cooled down? Probably. Is the issue resolved? Maybe, maybe not.

/twocents
This feeling is heavy, makes my body ache and I'm ready; To fall into the sky and I see now, the reason why. My heart is heavy, takes me to a place I can't breathe. Only then I know why I see the warning sign.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 434
  • Posts: 25333
November 16th, 2015 at 7:31:55 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

How can YOU even have the gonads to post this? NOBODY skirts the rules, and bates people right up to the line as much as you do.



Please point out where I do this
and I'll gladly take the suspension.
Show some posts where I insulted
somebody against the spirit of the
rule.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 4429
November 16th, 2015 at 7:40:41 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Please point out where I do this
and I'll gladly take the suspension.
Show some posts where I insulted
somebody against the spirit of the
rule.



I am not looking for you or anyone to take a suspension. I am not trying to start trouble or cause friction. But, you can't be serious! You honestly don't think that you do this? Anyone else have an opinion on this?

And no, I am not going to scour through posts looking for examples. You have nearly 19,000 posts! Am I supposed to retire from my career to do this? :)
TheGrimReaper13
TheGrimReaper13
Joined: Sep 25, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 216
November 16th, 2015 at 7:51:06 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

EB's is the litmus test for happiness. If you can slough it off, you're happy.
So much bullshit; so little time!
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 329
  • Posts: 7274
November 16th, 2015 at 8:06:13 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Please point out where I do this
and I'll gladly take the suspension.
Show some posts where I insulted
somebody against the spirit of the
rule.



OK, you asked for it ...

________________________________________________

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:34:57 PM
permalink

Quote: MrV

" I am looking forward to Aaron coming to WoVCon; if nothing else, he IS colorful."

Then EB accused me of lying, saying:

"You won't be there though. So how will you know
how colorful he is."

_________________________________________________

So let's break it down:

Spike clearly said I was lying about my planning on attending.

In fact, I attended WoVCon: doc posted pics on this board to prove it.

Spike's comment was mean-spirited, cheap, dismissive, insulting, and basically about as welcome as herpes on a hooker.

He was stirring the pot, making useless, inflammatory statements to provoke a response.

Sure looks like "baiting" to me, and he baited so masterfully that my measured response earned me a seven day suspension.

Bah!

Did he insult me?

Did he bait me?

If so, what length of self-imposed, self-requested suspension is appropriate?

If he won't leave willingly, my vote is to throw him out and nail the door shut.

But then, I'm not particularly PC.
"What, me worry?"

  • Jump to: