Thread Rating:

Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 89
May 25th, 2022 at 1:27:57 PM permalink
Maybe if you made words bad and attacked the words we could have consistent rules for how to abuse one another online for using the wrong ones.
aahigh.com
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 272
May 25th, 2022 at 1:34:36 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Quote: AlanMendelson

I thought only Jewish people answered a question with a question?

No?

Yes?

New?

So?

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3298162,00.html
link to original post

I don't have a thin skin, but this moderator is part Jewish and isn't amused at the ethnic slur in the above post and the string of subsequent posts with ethnic Jewish remarks that were provoked by this. Especially when it comes from a member who just earlier criticized the moderators, per se:

{snip}
In most States there are laws against arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable actions. Forum moderation unfortunately is sometimes arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable.

The most glaring of the arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable is when some participants get only a warning or a more severe suspension than others have received.

{snip}
link to original post

AlanMendelson, I want to avoid being arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable.

Perhaps you would like to step in for the moderators and determine what your penalty should be for making that ethnic slur?
a) No action
b) Warning about making ethnic slurs
c) 3 day suspension
d) 7 day suspension
Show us how easy this is!
link to original post

In Alan's defense and as a fellow Jew, I was raised under the guidance that fellow Jews can make fun and make Jewish slurs all day long as long as it's coming from another Jew.

My mom used to read me the most ethnically insulting Yiddish fables but we all just laughed at the stupidity. They were written by Yiddish Jews, after all!.

EDIT:. My favorite Yiddish tale was the Jewish farmer who kept trying to milk the bulls and couldn't figure out why no milk was forthcoming. One wonders just what he kept pulling!!!
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
May 25th, 2022 at 1:39:56 PM permalink
Latest ethnic slur; "You Jackie you"!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 340
May 25th, 2022 at 1:45:11 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

My favorite Yiddish tale was the Jewish farmer who kept trying to milk the bulls and couldn't figure out why no milk was forthcoming. One wonders just what he kept pulling!!!

Speaking of bull semen, I recall a case in the late seventies where some hotel guest was picking his scabs with a needle while sitting in a comfy chair in a hotel lobby and he left the needle there; a different guest later used the chair and accidentally stabbed his hand with the needle.

Seems the victim worked at a dairy and his primary job was to "milk the bulls," i.e. manually stroke their bovine johnsons to produce / collect semen for artificially impregnating cows.

Massive infection and disability ensued from his wound; he lawyered up and argued that he could no longer perform his job.

The poor wretch got a nice settlement.
"What, me worry?"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 56
May 25th, 2022 at 1:51:55 PM permalink

If you nuked me you'd never have to deal with 1/6 again. But that would be arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable and it would show no Jewish sense of humor and I couldn't call on any Rabbis to come to my defense.

https://youtu.be/GkyzMWxK67U
link to original post

I didn't even list nuking as one of your choices! After the usual discussion amongst moderators, I am issuing you a mildly-worded warning*: Please use better judgment in the future.

*We recognize there was no real malice or intended insult on your part. IMO, the problem with a "no-action" is that others can claim it as a precedent that comments about Jewish people are considered to be permissible. That could spin out of control.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 340
May 25th, 2022 at 1:55:51 PM permalink
Question: if two posters are black and that fact is known to the mods, would it be a suspenable offense for them to refer to each other using the "N" word?

Keepin' it real, yo.
"What, me worry?"
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 22
May 25th, 2022 at 2:01:22 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Seems the victim worked at a dairy and his primary job was to "milk the bulls," i.e. manually stroke their bovine johnsons to produce / collect semen for artificially impregnating cows.

Massive infection and disability ensued from his wound; he lawyered up and argued that he could no longer perform his job.

The poor wretch got a nice settlement.
link to original post

Seems that disability could affect his personal life as well. I hope the settlement was sufficient for him to get professional help with that. ;-)
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1428
Thanks for this post from:
DieterOnceDear
May 25th, 2022 at 2:02:23 PM permalink

Question: if two posters are black and that fact is known to the mods, would it be a suspenable offense for them to refer to each other using the "N" word?
link to original post

Yes
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 56
May 25th, 2022 at 2:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

In Alan's defense and as a fellow Jew, I was raised under the guidance that fellow Jews can make fun and make Jewish slurs all day long as long as it's coming from another Jew.

My mom used to read me the most ethnically insulting Yiddish fables but we all just laughed at the stupidity. They were written by Yiddish Jews, after all!.

EDIT:. My favorite Yiddish tale was the Jewish farmer who kept trying to milk the bulls and couldn't figure out why no milk was forthcoming. One wonders just what he kept pulling!!!
link to original post

I wondered if Alan was Jewish but felt it was not proper to assume or ask.

I almost always laugh at Jewish jokes as well. But in on-line posts, I think it would be wise to package them so that it is clear that no offense is meant - as you packaged your Yiddish tale by saying that you are "a fellow Jew" whose family has always laughed at stories about Jews.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
May 25th, 2022 at 2:10:22 PM permalink

Keepin' it real, yo.
link to original post

Good job Matlock. 👏

• Jump to: