Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
August 1st, 2020 at 1:51:51 PM permalink
So there are Secret Administrators as well as Secret Mods?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
August 1st, 2020 at 1:57:52 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

???

What would the difference be? Everything is called an Administrator, "Moderator," is just the term used by most websites. They're interchangeable.

Basically, the site has Administrators (Green), Secret Administrators (blue and do Moderation) and then me who has moderator capabilities and does not use them except for article-related stuff and to delete spam.

I assure you, I actually wanted all of my Moderation powers stripped EXCEPT for articles, but there's no easy way to do that. That being the case, there's no logical reason why I shouldn't delete a group of Spam threads and delete the Spammer, if I happen to see them. I can stop Nuking Spam if you really want me to.
Vultures can't be choosers.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 45
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:05:49 PM permalink

I don't even know what that means. There are moderators who are described in some places as 'administrator', whose Id shows as green.
I understand that there MAY BE different ranks of administrators who MAY have greater permissions such as promoting members to admins, There are some techy guys with zod only knows what privs: They will be able to access servers through terminal windows.
There's Mission146 who has certain editing priv's and doesnt show as green and there are a small number of secret mods, who have enhanced privs but show as blue.
And there are members. The most important role of all $:o)

Oh. And there are non-members and ex-members.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:11:03 PM permalink
And, just to be clear: Suppose I'm reading an article and I notice that I made a minor math mistake, okay, I go through a certain backdoor and I just edit my mistake. If I couldn't do that, then I'd have to send an E-Mail just to request that the article be edited, would have to contain a link to the article, would have to copy/paste the section to be replaced and then include what I am replacing it with.

So, it would be a less than a minute process turned into probably a day or more. That is why it was important that I keep article editing permissions. I also wouldn't have to copy/paste anything, because I can make the edit directly on the backdoor page.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 238
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:25:53 PM permalink
Let it be said I have no problem with Mission as a mod or secret mod.

I'm pretty certain he was a victim the way con artists do to use unsuspecting accomplices.

And the public discussion over why he resigned had to do with me so I feel in this case my opinion is stronger
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:28:47 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Let it be said I have no problem with Mission as a mod or secret mod.

I'm pretty certain he was a victim the way con artists do to use unsuspecting accomplices.

And the public discussion over why he resigned had to do with me so I feel in this case my opinion is stronger

Thanks for saying so, but I'm neither a mod or a secret mod. If I were a secret mod, then I'm doing a really terrible job at it. In any event, if BillRyan or anyone has a problem with me deleting blatant spam posts and banning the spammer, then I'll stop doing it. It honestly makes no difference to me whether I do it or not, just trying to keep the Recent Threads list tidy.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1344
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 2:52:20 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I'm pretty sure that they can edit/remove any non-mod posts. I'd imagine they could suspend accounts as well.

They can do all the same things a full moderator can do. They only difference is their forum name is in blue.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
billryan
billryan
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:18:33 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Another thing, which some people might consider obvious: Were I a Secret Administrator, I would not post that I have moderation abilities.

You were the one who brought up Secret Administrators.
billryan
billryan
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:24:53 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Thanks for saying so, but I'm neither a mod or a secret mod. If I were a secret mod, then I'm doing a really terrible job at it. In any event, if BillRyan or anyone has a problem with me deleting blatant spam posts and banning the spammer, then I'll stop doing it. It honestly makes no difference to me whether I do it or not, just trying to keep the Recent Threads list tidy.

I don't like the fact that there are secret moderators, or administrators, or prize patrol participants. Mike does, and it's his bat and ball.
Mission was one of my favorite moderators, but I think he did the right thing by resigning.
Mission146
Mission146
August 1st, 2020 at 3:51:49 PM permalink

You were the one who brought up Secret Administrators.

No, I didn't. Someone asked why there are Secret Administrators and I answered it to the best of my knowledge.

• Jump to: