kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 22
February 3rd, 2014 at 7:20:07 AM permalink
It has now been more than a few threads where some person, first-time poster, asks some question and receives a deluge of sarcasm and abuse. In several case this has led to their reacting offended and be banned for insult or profanity. But are they the guilty?

It shocks me as in total contradiction with what you see on Mike's other site, WizardOfOdds, where he has the habit of answering very kindly to most requests -- even stupid ones, even sometime far removed from what the site was about.

Please consider that many people first visit the WoO site. They find a treasure trove of information, want to congratulate/thank Mike and/or ask him a question. Nowadays, they are redirected to this forum. So, it is totally normal and expected that they sometimes ask, uhh, 'improbable' questions. I would find it so much more nice if the (older) members had a bit more understanding and welcoming.

Maybe one should distinguish 'discussion' forums and 'question' forums?

Maybe a new rule should be written about the behaviour towards newbies, and a punishment for abusive sarcasm or meanness?
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
February 3rd, 2014 at 7:37:57 AM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

It has now been more than a few threads where some person, first-time poster, asks some question and receives a deluge of sarcasm and abuse. In several case this has led to their reacting offended and be banned for insult or profanity. But are they the guilty?

It shocks me as in total contradiction with what you see on Mike's other site, WizardOfOdds, where he has the habit of answering very kindly to most requests -- even stupid ones, even sometime far removed from what the site was about.

Please consider that many people first visit the WoO site. They find a treasure trove of information, want to congratulate/thank Mike and/or ask him a question. Nowadays, they are redirected to this forum. So, it is totally normal and expected that they sometimes ask, uhh, 'improbable' questions. I would find it so much more nice if the (older) members had a bit more understanding and welcoming.

Maybe a new rule should be written about the behaviour towards newbies, and a punishment for abusive sarcasm or meanness?

Some newbies are so hopeful when they join...... here's my favorite opening salvo by a newbie......"I know you can never win in the long run but....." They put the qualifier in to avoid getting a severe beat down by the usual suspects. They probably lurked for some time before weighing in.......

I came in without reading the rules.....did not work out well for me.

I vote for fewer rules not more......without sarcasm and meanness there would be no WoV
Each day is better than the next
kubikulann
kubikulann
February 3rd, 2014 at 7:49:58 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

I vote for fewer rules not more......without sarcasm and meanness there would be no WoV

Sure! I just mean "abusive" (in the meaning of "excessive", too) and specifically directed at naive newbies.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 3rd, 2014 at 8:30:45 AM permalink

I am so glad that you posted this as it has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time and I have mentioned it a few times. In my opinion it is shameful that a new member is welcomed with condescendence, mockery, ridicule and immature comments more befitting a fifth grader. Who are we to judge which questions are worthy of an answer? If you don't like the umpteenth martingale question you don't have to answer it. There's always someone who will answer in a respectful manner.

I have a few recommendations for new members that I wish they could read before joining.

1. Read the Forum Rules.

2. Read them again.

3. Use the search function of this site before asking your question if applicable.

4. Ask your question.

"There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question. - Carl Sagan
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
February 3rd, 2014 at 8:54:16 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I am so glad that you posted this as it has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time and I have mentioned it a few times. In my opinion it is shameful that a new member is welcomed with condescendence, mockery, ridicule and immature comments more befitting a fifth grader. Who are we to judge which questions are worthy of an answer? If you don't like the umpteenth martingale question you don't have to answer it. There's always someone who will answer in a respectful manner.

+1000
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
kubikulann
kubikulann
February 3rd, 2014 at 9:10:00 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

"There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question. - Carl Sagan

As a teacher,to the students who begin with "I have a silly question..." I always say "There are no silly questions, only silly answers."
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 184
February 3rd, 2014 at 10:21:50 AM permalink
If you consider the odds the new members wouldn't come back even without hazing, they're usually not even worthy of any comments or posting their own threads. It always seems like a waste seeing posts equals started threads. If there was a new member introduction forum, I wouldn't even waste my time on them.
They tried to kill us, Jimmy. They did. They're dirty f**king cops! *photo is not of an AP, just a morbidly obese hill billy. Jar Jar Binks was supposed to be the Sith Lord . Nathan is going to run and own this place
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 88
February 3rd, 2014 at 11:34:25 AM permalink
I also like how this forum has a block thread button. Instead of throwing an insult, how about hitting the block thread button and just be done with it. OP I fully agree with you.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
SFB
SFB
  • Threads: 2
February 3rd, 2014 at 12:06:05 PM permalink

Just ask them to post a picture first, and then see what happens..

SFB
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 3rd, 2014 at 12:37:01 PM permalink
So some newbies see criticism and immediately result to insults and profanities.
And these are the people this forum needs ?
REALLY !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

• Jump to: