Thread Rating:

100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
April 19th, 2012 at 3:35:45 PM permalink
currently i search thru all the threads i've started or replied to see if there's any new post.

How about a button that lists new posts to threads i'm in?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 19th, 2012 at 3:50:35 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

currently i search thru all the threads i've started or replied to see if there's any new post.

How about a button that lists new posts to threads i'm in?

I think that's what the subscribe button is for. then you click on the "thread subscriptions" tab on the upepr right.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
April 19th, 2012 at 3:56:57 PM permalink
There's also an "Automatically subscribe to threads I post in" checkbox in your Preferences. A combination of the two features should give the behavior you desire.
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 19th, 2012 at 4:38:15 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

There's also an "Automatically subscribe to threads I post in" checkbox in your Preferences. A combination of the two features should give the behavior you desire.

thx!!!
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
April 19th, 2012 at 4:56:44 PM permalink
Keep in mind that the subscribe feature will send you an email every time someone posts in a subscribed thread.

Overall, the suggestion isn't that bad, but I think it would be rather slow to implement under the current setup. The forum currently uses PHP and MySQL, which is a popular but rather poor combination, since both are bottlenecks. PHP because it's an interpreted language, and MySQL because it's hosted on a separate, shared server.

I don't want to give any sort of time frame but a new version of the forum is underway, and 100xOdds' suggestion is one that seems worthy of incorporating into it. The new version is not going to use PHP or MySQL. Many of the queries that currently require searching through every thread or every post can be done in a snap in the new version. The site's speed will be nearly constant as the amount of data grows, as opposed to being inversely proportional to the amount of data.

Well, that's the goal anyway. I still have to rethink some things and possibly resort to using an SQL server after all. I would prefer not to, because many of the queries can be optimized when you know what you need in advance. For example, if you want the 10 latest posts, just start at the end and work your way backwards. For an SQL server to accomplish this though, it first needs to scan through every post, then sort them, and then return the 10 latest ones. This is why the site gets gradually slower over time, and is what I am hoping to avoid.
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 19th, 2012 at 5:08:57 PM permalink
i dont want an email every time someone replies.

how do i turn that off?

all i see under preferences is "Receive private message email alerts"
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
April 19th, 2012 at 5:13:25 PM permalink
Yeah. I just experimented with it and would like the same preference.
JB
Administrator
JB
April 19th, 2012 at 5:19:04 PM permalink
Sending an email when someone replies to a thread that you are subscribed to, was the original point of being subscribed to a thread.

Currently there is no option to be subscribed to a thread and not receive emails, but I could probably implement that fairly quickly. Give me 10 to 20 minutes. I'll respond to this thread when it's ready.
JB
Administrator
JB
April 19th, 2012 at 5:28:03 PM permalink
Okay, it should be implemented now. Go to your preferences page and the second checkbox is "Receive email alerts when subscribed threads are replied to". If you uncheck that and then save your preferences, it should not email you when a subscribed thread is replied to.
100xOdds
100xOdds
April 19th, 2012 at 5:51:38 PM permalink
Quote: JB

Okay, it should be implemented now. Go to your preferences page and the second checkbox is "Receive email alerts when subscribed threads are replied to". If you uncheck that and then save your preferences, it should not email you when a subscribed thread is replied to.

thx!
  • Jump to: