scotty81
scotty81
  • Threads: 8
November 18th, 2010 at 8:52:18 AM permalink
How can I go about accessing threads that I have already read, but drop off the main thread list on the Forums tab?

They don't appear in the recent threads and they don't appear when I go specifically to the subject.

For example, I clicked on the thread "Interesting Cruise Ship Rules" on the main page. I have now read the tread. and it is not bolded in the main list of threads. If I go to Recent Threads, it is not listed at all because I have already read it. Same if I go to Gambling/Blackjack. The thread is not listed.

After it drops off the main list, and I just want to go back and re-read the thread - to possibly respond - how can I find it?
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 18th, 2010 at 9:19:45 AM permalink
I've wondered this as well. Those threads are still alive, but aren't in any of the subheaders, or in the recent posts, or in the expanded available recent threads. If you know who posted inside one of them, you can choose that person, and then choose "recent posts", and find the thread that way. That's the only way I've discovered.

Otherwise, I figure that all this is ephemera anyhow, and not really important. When it vanishes, it is forgotten quickly.
A falling knife has no handle.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 18th, 2010 at 9:22:31 AM permalink
Click the page buttons at the bottom of the section and go to the next page.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 18th, 2010 at 9:35:35 AM permalink
Quote: scotty81

After it drops off the main list, and I just want to go back and re-read the thread - to possibly respond - how can I find it?

there are three options that I have recently used (gosh, can you guess what I was looking for?):
1. use the search function to find the thread (example, search for EZ Paigow to find all threads where that game is mentioned)
2. track it down by looking at posts by one of the more infrequent posters that was involved in the discussion (example, scroll through all posts by Paigowdan until you find a post he made in the game-design related thread you're looking for, then click on it to access the whole discussion thread)
3. Click on the recent threads header to open the full list of recent unread threads. Then click the "mark a read" button. The list will re-sort to include all threads organized by the date/time of the last post. Scroll through the modified list until you find the thread you want (example, for me, the game patenting thread is on page 4 of that list.)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
scotty81
scotty81
  • Threads: 8
November 18th, 2010 at 9:48:17 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

3. Click on the recent threads header to open the full list of recent unread threads. Then click the "mark a read" button. The list will re-sort to include all threads organized by the date/time of the last post. Scroll through the modified list until you find the thread you want (example, for me, the game patenting thread is on page 4 of that list.)

That's the secret I've been looking for! I've never clicked the "mark as read" button because I just assumed that it allowed you to mark a particular thread as read, and then it would disappear from the list.

But, what it really does is mark ALL threads as read, and then sort them by posting date. So, all threads now show up in the list.

Thanks!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
November 18th, 2010 at 10:26:51 AM permalink
Quote: scotty81

... what it really does is mark ALL threads as read, and then sort them by posting date. So, all threads now show up in the list.

Actually, they all showed up on the list in the first place. Before you clicked that button (and again someday soon if you don't keep reading all of the posts), the list was just sorted differently: First level sort is "unread" followed by "already read" (or clicked as "read"). Within those categories of the first level, there is a second-level sort by date. I suspect you have been missing the desired threads because your section of "read" threads does not start until page 2 or 15 or something, and you just needed to look over there. The two-level sorting pattern didn't really change; it's just that for a moment there are no threads in the "unread" portion of your list. But that will change.
  • Jump to: