Ajaxx
Ajaxx
  • Threads: 4
September 18th, 2019 at 9:53:40 PM permalink
Content warning: this is dull and technical.

First of all, thanks to JB for the super detailed and helpful Formatting Codes post. Everything I've tried from that page seems to work as-advertised, but I noticed that when I use the "Preview" button to see what my posts will look like, lists made with the [blist] and [nlist] tags don't render correctly in the preview (they show up aligned and indented but without bullets or numbers) even though they end up looking right in the actual post. I pasted in example below.

Is this a quirk of my browser or true for others too?

Raw Code

[blist]
[item] Bulleted item 1[/item]
[item]Bulleted item 2[/item]
[item] Bulleted item 3[/item]
[/blist]

[nlist]
[item]Numbered item A[/item] [item] Numbered item B[/item] [item] Numbered item C[/item]
[/nlist]

Output in Preview
(every [indent] shows up as an actual whitespace indent in the actual preview)

Bulleted item 1
Bulleted item 2
Bulleted item 3

[indent]Numbered item A
[indent]Numbered item B
[indent]Numbered item C

Output in Actual Post

• Bulleted item 1
  • Bulleted item 2
  • Bulleted item 3

1. Numbered item A
  2. Numbered item B
  3. Numbered item C
"Not only [does] God play dice... he sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen." ~ Stephen Hawking
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
September 18th, 2019 at 11:27:58 PM permalink
Using Safari 12 (iPhone X, iOS 12.4.1) the preview renders the same as the actual post. What browser and version are you using?
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 19th, 2019 at 12:38:10 AM permalink
  • Test 1
  • yolo

Preview worked fine for that. Let’s try nlist

1. bring back nathan
  2. ”the limit does not exist”

Nlist looks fine in preview, too.
Last edited by: RS on Sep 19, 2019
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
September 19th, 2019 at 1:17:00 AM permalink
Preview is also correctly formatted using Firefox 69.0 on Windows 10 1903. Looks like it's a problem with the OP's browser.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 19th, 2019 at 1:27:04 AM permalink
I don't know what version of Chrome I'm using, but I'm using Chrome. When editing my previous post and previewing it, I see the same thing OP is referring to.

Last edited by: RS on Sep 19, 2019
Ajaxx
Ajaxx
  • Threads: 4
September 19th, 2019 at 12:30:41 PM permalink
Thanks for the replies everyone. Like RS, I'm using Chrome, but I just updated to Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) and the problem seems to be gone:
  1. This list
    • (including this indent)
  2. looked correct in preview!

So, apologies for what turned out to be a waste of time. Looks like this was just a passing bug.

Incidentally, for anyone desperate to save a few keystrokes, it looks like the following tags are all interchangeable, even though they're not currently listed on JB's formatting codes:
[blist] is the same thing as [ul] (short for "unordered list")
[nlist] is the same thing as [ol] (short for "ordered list")
[li] is the same thing as [item] (short for "list item")
"Not only [does] God play dice... he sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen." ~ Stephen Hawking
  • Jump to: