chook
chook
  • Threads: 5
September 23rd, 2010 at 1:45:56 AM permalink
Does anyone know how to set the default page size for Firefox?
You can't trust a dog to mind your food.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
September 23rd, 2010 at 5:59:35 AM permalink
Quote: chook

Does anyone know how to set the default page size for Firefox?

Practically all the times when Firefox has a problem with page size, I've seen that they start with the video display settings like resolution.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 2:13:19 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Practically all the times when Firefox has a problem with page size, I've seen that they start with the video display settings like resolution.

You'd think they'd have something in options.
It's annoying having to adjust the size of every page you open.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
September 23rd, 2010 at 3:46:50 PM permalink
Quote:

What exactly do you mean by this? How do you "adjust the size"?

There is actually no such thing as page size in firefox (unless you are printing it out). The height of the "page" is infinite, and the width is determined by the layout of the site you are looking at. If it ends up too wide for you, so that you have to scroll the window horizontally, that is probably because your screen resolution is set too low.
One more thing to try is check out the zoom level under the View menu (it might get stuck somehow, so that all your pages appear magnified) ... try going there and clicking Reset to see if it helps.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 23rd, 2010 at 3:49:26 PM permalink

You'd think they'd have something in options.

Microslop Internet Exploder does that to you too--it, not you, decides the relative size of any pages it opens. Of course, the twisted spawn of Bill Gates has that as its most prevalent and annoying characteristic--it does what it wants to, not what you want it to. I like Firefox for that reason--that it's not as uppity as IE--but it has that same habit of annoying default settings that you can't easily change, and in some cases, can't change at all.

One trick that SOMETIMES works is to close your browser with at least one window still open, and have that window be full-sized. The program SUPPOSEDLY "remembers" the last window size, and defaults to that when it opens again. Supposedly. It works about 2/3 of the time, and I have no idea what else is affecting it. Feh.

Death to Bill Gates and all the evil programs he has spawned!
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 23rd, 2010 at 3:50:05 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

What exactly do you mean by this? How do you "adjust the size"?

There is actually no such thing as page size in firefox (unless you are printing it out). The height of the "page" is infinite, and the width is determined by the layout of the site you are looking at. If it ends up too wide for you, so that you have to scroll the window horizontally, that is probably because your screen resolution is set too low.
One more thing to try is check out the zoom level under the View menu (it might get stuck somehow, so that all your pages appear magnified) ... try going there and clicking Reset to see if it helps.

I imagine what he means is "window".
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
weaselman
weaselman
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:00:26 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I imagine what he means is "window".

Adjusting the window size is easy - just drag its corner with your mouse :)
The default size is, like you said, chosen to be the same as the last window of the same application that was active.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:16:40 PM permalink

The problem is that, when I open a page, it doesn't fill the screen.
I have to blow it up using an add-on.
View & resolution, for some reason, won't reset the size permanently.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:22:17 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

One trick that SOMETIMES works is to close your browser with at least one window still open, and have that window be full-sized. The program SUPPOSEDLY "remembers" the last window size, and defaults to that when it opens again. Supposedly. It works about 2/3 of the time, and I have no idea what else is affecting it.

Quote:

That's what happened. It was OK until I updated, with a new version some time ago, & it's never been the same since.

weaselman
weaselman
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:35:17 PM permalink

The problem is that, when I open a page, it doesn't fill the screen.

Firefox window won't fill your monitor screen or the website view won't fill the firefox window?

Quote:

I have to blow it up using an add-on.

The first thing I'd try would be to uninstall/disable that add-on and see if that fixes your problem :)
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:43:50 PM permalink

Firefox window won't fill your monitor screen or the website view won't fill the firefox window?
The first thing I'd try would be to uninstall/disable that add-on and see if that fixes your problem :)

It happens for all sites.
I've found a new add-on, which I'm going to try, which is supposed to set default.
WYB there's a new update for Firefox downloading at the moment.
weaselman
weaselman
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:47:57 PM permalink

It happens for all sites.

Right, I got that.
Still trying to find out what the problem is though - is it that you want the firefox window to occupy your entire screen, and it doesn't or is it that the content of the website inside the firefox window is too small and does not occupy the whole window.

Quote:

I've found a new add-on, which I'm going to try, which is supposed to set default.

I am not kidding - actually disabling one/some of your add-ons is likely to fix the problem.
I would recommend disabling them all to start, and then re-enabling one-by-one to see which one(s) is/are causing it.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:52:45 PM permalink

Right, I got that.
Still trying to find out what the problem is though - is it that you want the firefox window to occupy your entire screen, and it doesn't or is it that the content of the website inside the firefox window is too small and does not occupy the whole window.
I am not kidding - actually disabling one/some of your add-ons is likely to fix the problem.
I would recommend disabling them all to start, and then re-enabling one-by-one to see which one(s) is/are causing it.

It's the content.
I'll have to wait for update to finish before checking add-ons.
Thanks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 23rd, 2010 at 10:39:21 PM permalink
I switched to Firefox 6 weeks ago and frankly it seems exactly the same as Explorer. In fact, I've had more problems with it than I ever had with Explorer. I don't get whats supposed to be so great.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 10:55:51 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I switched to Firefox 6 weeks ago and frankly it seems exactly the same as Explorer. In fact, I've had more problems with it than I ever had with Explorer. I don't get whats supposed to be so great.

It used to be better. ME might have caught up.
chook
chook
September 24th, 2010 at 2:47:20 AM permalink

Right, I got that.

I think I fixed it.
You need the add-on "Default Full Zoom Level".
In the add-ons page you can adjust the default size by using the options button for that add-on.
weaselman
weaselman
September 24th, 2010 at 4:34:09 AM permalink

The problem with explorer is not about its interface features, but about the fact that it displays half of internet incorrectly, and, perhaps, even more importantly, that it is slow like hell.

Firefox is a lot faster, standard compliant, and it has unsurpassed flexibility and set of features and add-ons. It bites it in the ass sometimes - 99% of time the problems you see with FF, are not because of FF itself, but are caused by some kind of incompatibility in one (or more) of the add-ons you have installed.

My biggest problem with firefox though is its memory consumption. It can eat up to a gig right away when you start it, and if you leave it running for a few days, it just keeps climbing up and up, until it brings the whole system to its knees.
If you don't need all the flexibility and customization abilities it offers (and you probably do not, unless you are a web programmer or designer), then then best choice today in my opinion is google chrome - it is lightning fast, extremely light-weight, 99% compliant, very stable and reliable. My beta version does crash every now and then, but because it is so fast, even that is barely annoying at all - it just flashes the window and restarts itself seamlessly, also, each tab is a separate process, so even if one crashes, all the others are unaffected. I have 45 tabs open right now in my firefox, so you can probably see why chrome's approach looks a lot more appealing to me.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
September 24th, 2010 at 5:17:20 AM permalink

If Internet Explorer ever has features like NoScript, Better Privacy, Download Helper, Ad Block and so on, it might be worthy of consideration. Until then, it is nowhere near Firefox's level.
  • Jump to: