chook
chook
  • Threads: 5
September 23rd, 2010 at 1:45:56 AM permalink
Does anyone know how to set the default page size for Firefox?
You can't trust a dog to mind your food.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
September 23rd, 2010 at 5:59:35 AM permalink
Quote: chook

Does anyone know how to set the default page size for Firefox?

Practically all the times when Firefox has a problem with page size, I've seen that they start with the video display settings like resolution.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 2:13:19 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Practically all the times when Firefox has a problem with page size, I've seen that they start with the video display settings like resolution.

You'd think they'd have something in options.
It's annoying having to adjust the size of every page you open.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
September 23rd, 2010 at 3:46:50 PM permalink
Quote:

What exactly do you mean by this? How do you "adjust the size"?

There is actually no such thing as page size in firefox (unless you are printing it out). The height of the "page" is infinite, and the width is determined by the layout of the site you are looking at. If it ends up too wide for you, so that you have to scroll the window horizontally, that is probably because your screen resolution is set too low.
One more thing to try is check out the zoom level under the View menu (it might get stuck somehow, so that all your pages appear magnified) ... try going there and clicking Reset to see if it helps.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 23rd, 2010 at 3:49:26 PM permalink

You'd think they'd have something in options.

Microslop Internet Exploder does that to you too--it, not you, decides the relative size of any pages it opens. Of course, the twisted spawn of Bill Gates has that as its most prevalent and annoying characteristic--it does what it wants to, not what you want it to. I like Firefox for that reason--that it's not as uppity as IE--but it has that same habit of annoying default settings that you can't easily change, and in some cases, can't change at all.

One trick that SOMETIMES works is to close your browser with at least one window still open, and have that window be full-sized. The program SUPPOSEDLY "remembers" the last window size, and defaults to that when it opens again. Supposedly. It works about 2/3 of the time, and I have no idea what else is affecting it. Feh.

Death to Bill Gates and all the evil programs he has spawned!
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 23rd, 2010 at 3:50:05 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

What exactly do you mean by this? How do you "adjust the size"?

There is actually no such thing as page size in firefox (unless you are printing it out). The height of the "page" is infinite, and the width is determined by the layout of the site you are looking at. If it ends up too wide for you, so that you have to scroll the window horizontally, that is probably because your screen resolution is set too low.
One more thing to try is check out the zoom level under the View menu (it might get stuck somehow, so that all your pages appear magnified) ... try going there and clicking Reset to see if it helps.

I imagine what he means is "window".
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
weaselman
weaselman
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:00:26 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I imagine what he means is "window".

Adjusting the window size is easy - just drag its corner with your mouse :)
The default size is, like you said, chosen to be the same as the last window of the same application that was active.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:16:40 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

The problem is that, when I open a page, it doesn't fill the screen.
I have to blow it up using an add-on.
View & resolution, for some reason, won't reset the size permanently.
chook
chook
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:22:17 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

One trick that SOMETIMES works is to close your browser with at least one window still open, and have that window be full-sized. The program SUPPOSEDLY "remembers" the last window size, and defaults to that when it opens again. Supposedly. It works about 2/3 of the time, and I have no idea what else is affecting it.

Quote:

That's what happened. It was OK until I updated, with a new version some time ago, & it's never been the same since.

weaselman
weaselman
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:35:17 PM permalink

The problem is that, when I open a page, it doesn't fill the screen.

Firefox window won't fill your monitor screen or the website view won't fill the firefox window?

Quote:

I have to blow it up using an add-on.

The first thing I'd try would be to uninstall/disable that add-on and see if that fixes your problem :)

• Jump to: