Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1438
November 12th, 2022 at 12:42:55 PM permalink
I recall him saying his wife was extremely ill and he spent a lot of time caring for her. Who would have thought he would go first.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -- Carl Sagan
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
November 12th, 2022 at 12:49:57 PM permalink
Alan's posts reflected his passion and energy. I thought he would be here forever.

R.I.P.

tuttigym
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 35
November 12th, 2022 at 3:54:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I recall him saying his wife was extremely ill and he spent a lot of time caring for her. Who would have thought he would go first.
link to original post

He was caring for his ex-wife Janet, who was sick with leukemia. Alan said that she had beaten lung cancer when they were married about five years ago, but she succumbed to the leukemia on July 14th.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 57
November 12th, 2022 at 5:15:39 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

He was caring for his ex-wife Janet, who was sick with leukemia. Alan said that she had beaten lung cancer when they were married about five years ago, but she succumbed to the leukemia on July 14th.
link to original post

I've been away from the forum all day, and I am just now learning all this. I am very sorry to hear this news. RIP, Alan. I am also sad to hear the news about his wife's death earlier this year for the first time.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1438
November 12th, 2022 at 6:44:57 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Alan said that she had beaten lung cancer when they were married about five years ago, but she succumbed to the leukemia on July 14th.
link to original post

I didn't know his wife died already. Thanks for letting me know.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -- Carl Sagan
calwatch
calwatch
  • Threads: 10
November 12th, 2022 at 11:25:14 PM permalink
Likewise, I knew he was taking care of Janet and was making trips from Vegas to Utah but was unaware she actually predeceased him.
Quadriga
Quadriga
  • Threads: 0
November 13th, 2022 at 6:09:16 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Seems more like an election day witness protection program death to me. Not sure which mob boss he's running from, but in Vegas, who knows?

I watched Bad Times At The El Royale last night, so excuse me for losing my composure.
link to original post

Alan Mendelson claimed to have links to the mafia through his father or grandpa.To honor him, I'll tell a joke about it.

Alan's family had mafia ties. His grandfather, his father and himself are like The Godfather triology: the third installment was gambling.

RIP Alan Mendelson.
Last edited by: Quadriga on Nov 13, 2022
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ 
  • Threads: 254
November 13th, 2022 at 6:59:25 AM permalink
Also sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed reading his posts.
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 211
November 13th, 2022 at 7:48:07 AM permalink
not trying to derail and im probably a worst person than most people but the last thread he was in ... yall roasted him... i guess in the spirit of factual information

i kind of want to cry picturing this old man sitting at a computer who probably lived a more fulfilling and fruitful life than most of us here have to deal with us in his own mind as old as it was and now hes dead

jesus

RIP
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 57
Thanks for this post from:
UsernameRemorseDieterJohnnyQdarkozWizardOnceDearIndyJeffreycamaplMukke
November 13th, 2022 at 10:21:05 AM permalink
My wife, who is a registered nurse, says that cancer medications and physiological effects of cancer can make a person wacky -that is, they can sometimes affect the cognitive processes and cause a person to "not be at their best" from a mental processing point of view. Maybe soopoo or other medical professionals can elaborate further if I am not correctly representing this.

Alan's posts for the last few months were often exasperating for almost all of us. But you know, there are times in life when all you can do is to do the best you can. With perfect hindsight, I suspect that Alan was just doing the best he could. Here and elsewhere, Alan left his mark in trails of unsettled dust and cobwebs torn asunder. Let's all grieve for him and for the pain he was surely in. And just maybe we can all take a lesson to show a bit more grace toward each other in the future because we rarely understand what each other is going through at any given moment.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.

• Jump to: