ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
Mission146Zuga
August 2nd, 2020 at 2:27:41 PM permalink
A couple of people on the VPFree Yahoo group say that they tried accessing WoV through a Google search link, and got either malicious site warnings or possible virus attacks (one got the "You're the 50,000th visitor!" popup; another got the "Click Here to load the latest version of Flash Player" one). I tried it myself, with both Bing and Google; both were rejected as malicious by my anti-virus software. Note that typing "www.wizardofvegas.com" directly into the URL bar works fine.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 2nd, 2020 at 2:47:30 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

A couple of people on the VPFree Yahoo group say that they tried accessing WoV through a Google search link, and got either malicious site warnings or possible virus attacks (one got the "You're the 50,000th visitor!" popup; another got the "Click Here to load the latest version of Flash Player" one). I tried it myself, with both Bing and Google; both were rejected as malicious by my anti-virus software. Note that typing "www.wizardofvegas.com" directly into the URL bar works fine.

Thanks for the tip, I’m sure Wizard or I will pass that along to ownership. I’ve actually been having the same problem with several sites that used to not be a problem, so it might be a browser thing. Chrome won’t even attempt to open certain sites. I can’t even go to the 888 site directly.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 2nd, 2020 at 2:50:31 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Thanks for flagging this.

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same behavior, searching either with google.co.uk or with the search engine duckduckgo.com. If I search for 'wizard of vegas', i see what looks like a totally appropriate set of entries for WOV. The URLs all seem appropriate, such as https://wizardofvegas.com/ ( actually copied that from my search result ) When clicked on from the search page, I get redirected to one of a few malicious sites.

Bringing this to the attention of wizard and zuga.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
August 2nd, 2020 at 3:00:43 PM permalink
Similar thing was going on about a week ago:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/help/34888-i-couldnt-login-to-wizard-of-vegas-7-14/#post774638
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 3rd, 2020 at 7:55:09 AM permalink
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I don't know what's going on at this time, but we'll get to the bottom of it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
August 3rd, 2020 at 8:17:37 AM permalink
thanks for the heads up guys, we are looking into this
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
August 3rd, 2020 at 8:21:19 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

thanks for the heads up guys, we are looking into this

its fixed now
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
August 5th, 2020 at 2:08:08 PM permalink
Quote: Zuga

its fixed now

what was the problem?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
scrooge
scrooge
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
SanchoPanza
June 22nd, 2021 at 3:51:57 PM permalink
Google search really jumped the shark. It was better 20 years ago than it is now, IMO. I hate that map-related queries on google.com go to a half-assed version of google maps instead of the full version. I hate that they removed verbatim mode and do very excessive query expansion which makes it really hard to find specific obscure things, which is the whole point of having a search engine. The rankings are still being gamed a lot by SEO link farms. They should use the web history of paid youtubeTV etc subscribers to fix the rankings, since those can't be gamed by bots cost-effectively.
  • Jump to: