AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 3554
May 25th, 2020 at 9:51:16 AM permalink
It was only a couple of weeks ago that people were saying the regular seasonal flu killed more people than COVID-19.

Remember that as you reopen everything.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 7249
May 25th, 2020 at 10:06:14 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Well, of course I don't know for sure, but perhaps, YES!

Penicillin, and related antibiotics, saves tens of thousands of lives a year. But tens of thousands still die from various bacterial infections. I consider the antibiotics a success.

I am just saying Remdesivir versus nothing is a no brainer. If you tell me I have a .5% chance of dying, but just take this drug and it is now .4%, of course I take it. That means it just saves 1 out of the 1000 people who take it.

I can PROMISE you, if Leronlimab had equally promising results, it would be front page news! Hopefully we will see it on the front page soon...



Leronlimab is undergoing a double-blinded placebo study.

Double blinded means neither doctor nor patients sees what they are getting.

It's not front page news yet because the study hasn't been unblinded

I'm not saying the study will be a raging success. Only that no news is expected news with a double blinded study
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 174
  • Posts: 9725
Thanks for this post from:
AZDuffman
May 25th, 2020 at 10:14:26 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

It was only a couple of weeks ago that people were saying the regular seasonal flu killed more people than COVID-19.

Remember that as you reopen everything.



A couple of weeks ago? I think someone posted this week that if you eliminated all the deaths falsely attributed to the virus, this is a normal flu season.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 72
  • Posts: 6478
May 25th, 2020 at 11:19:14 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

It was only a couple of weeks ago that people were saying the regular seasonal flu killed more people than COVID-19.

Remember that as you reopen everything.




Yesterday about 125,000 people died. It really doesn't make much difference to me.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3472
May 25th, 2020 at 11:35:51 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yesterday about 125,000 people died.

???????
Venthus
Venthus
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1104
May 25th, 2020 at 11:58:14 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yesterday about 125,000 people died.


Quote: SanchoPanza

???????



Depending on the source, time of year, etc., there's something like 100k-150k deaths per day, globally.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 7249
May 25th, 2020 at 12:02:46 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yesterday about 125,000 people died. It really doesn't make much difference to me.



But are you for reopening during this pandemic?

I think you said it doesn't seem important unless thirty million people die?

I'm trying to understand how someone who openly claims they don't care if people die would care if they live (,or die from economic distress)
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1387
May 25th, 2020 at 12:18:16 PM permalink
I've got all the risk factors, the odds are better than a Don't 4 bet that I'll die if I catch the coronavirus.

Just in: WHO temporarily halts trial of hydroxychloroquine over safety concerns.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 1934
May 25th, 2020 at 2:04:52 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

But are you for reopening during this pandemic?

I think you said it doesn't seem important unless thirty million people die?

I'm trying to understand how someone who openly claims they don't care if people die would care if they live (,or die from economic distress)

He doesn’t. My read of his posts is he wants to open to minimize his own inconvenience.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11986
May 25th, 2020 at 2:40:25 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

But are you for reopening during this pandemic?

I think you said it doesn't seem important unless thirty million people die?

I'm trying to understand how someone who openly claims they don't care if people die would care if they live (,or die from economic distress)



It is called "looking at the big picture." What use is saving lives in one way to lose them in another?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: