rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 10:32:58 AM permalink
I've never gambled at the Tropicana in Vegas, but have gambled at sister properties in CO and LA.

Received the following offer in the mail:

For Sept 1 to Dec 29:

5 night stay in best room available
$2,000 dining credit (that is not a typo)
$700 free slot play
$500 airfare

I have pretty much been wanting to avoid Vegas, but damn, this is hard to pass up. Anyone know what their VP looks like?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
August 12th, 2020 at 10:34:48 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I've never gambled at the Tropicana in Vegas, but have gambled at sister properties in CO and LA.

Received the following offer in the mail:

For Sept 1 to Dec 29:

5 night stay in best room available
$2,000 dining credit (that is not a typo)
$700 free slot play
$500 airfare

I have pretty much been wanting to avoid Vegas, but damn, this is hard to pass up. Anyone know what their VP looks like?



Damn that $2000 dining credit could have paid for our fall fling dinner
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 10:36:12 AM permalink
While I didn't make a typo here in the post, I do wonder if they made a typo in the mailer. That's a lot of food!
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
August 12th, 2020 at 10:56:31 AM permalink
Question:

Use all at once dining credit or use as required.

2,000 over meals for five days is still rich but realistically you and a few family members could go through it.

$2,000 all in one meal is absolutely nuts.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 6565
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
August 12th, 2020 at 11:01:39 AM permalink
Iím curious as to what restaurants theyíll even have open to spend $2,000 in. Iím guessing there wonít be much choice right away. Gonna be hard to spend 2K at the cafe.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
August 12th, 2020 at 11:06:14 AM permalink
Dining works out to $400 a day. When you think about it, $400 per day isn't much in terms of luxury dining.

I dont know what the high end dining is there, but consider this "possible prices" for dinner:

2 steaks $170
2 appetizers or desserts $36
2 cocktails $24
Total $230

Breakfast for two could be $50
Lunch for two could be $70

Add it up and that's $350.
Get something from room service and you're easily at $400.

Unfortunately I've had dinners that wiped out $500 dining credits at Caesars.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 11:37:18 AM permalink
"All gaming and dining offers will be spread over total hotel nights offered. Resort fees may apply." Certainly reduces the attractiveness of the free play.

Given that I typically go to Vegas by myself, I think it's safe to say I couldn't even go through $400 in a day in food.
Last edited by: rsactuary on Aug 12, 2020
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11083
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
August 12th, 2020 at 12:01:31 PM permalink
If you were a couple it would not be difficult at all to spend $400 a day on food and beverage. Alan's example I think is on the low side. Add a few more specialty cocktails ($20+) a few appetizers, port after dinner.... I can come close by myself! The free play and airfare is basically $1200 cash, add the value of the food, say $1,000?, and the value of a free room, say also $1,000 since it will probably be a suite? So over $3k easily to you in value. What do you play for them to want you this badly?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
August 12th, 2020 at 12:39:47 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

If you were a couple it would not be difficult at all to spend $400 a day on food and beverage. Alan's example I think is on the low side. Add a few more specialty cocktails ($20+) a few appetizers, port after dinner.... I can come close by myself! The free play and airfare is basically $1200 cash, add the value of the food, say $1,000?, and the value of a free room, say also $1,000 since it will probably be a suite? So over $3k easily to you in value. What do you play for them to want you this badly?



Want him? That casino is not reopening. Who knows what they're sending out. LOL
Marcusclark66
Marcusclark66
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1140
Joined: Mar 26, 2020
August 12th, 2020 at 12:54:52 PM permalink
Regarding Tropicana reopening.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/casinos-gaming/tropicana-may-not-reopen-sept-1-as-planned-2089346/
Marcus Clark. Real Person; AKA MarcusClark66. *Professional Casino Security Expert. *Certified EMT *Certified Company Firearms Instructor. *Certified Gaming Regulations Interpreter for Corporate Applications. *Domestic UrbanTactical Combat Casualty Expert. *Tic-Tac-Toe Expert (Real Competitive Versions) & Mastering Chess. *Honorary & Official #1 Fan of the MDawg Adventures Club. *Mastering Cracking it. Bit-by-Bit, Piece-by-Piece Crediting Forum Members. *Certified Casino Property Entry & Exit Point Analyzer *Baccarat Winning Session Record: 12 out of 12 & 1 out of 1 Mini Session. Baccarat Losing Session Record: 2 Losing Sessions.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 12:58:10 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

What do you play for them to want you this badly?



Multi-hand 25c VP poker. Up to $15 a hand. Some slots as well, but mostly VP.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11882
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
August 12th, 2020 at 1:33:52 PM permalink
Tropicana Las Vegas Las Vegas, NV
99.11% DB: $1, $5, $10
98.98% DDB: $1, $5, $10
98.91% LV Airport/Illinois Deuces: $1, $5, $10
98.6103% SDDB: $1, $5, $10
98.49% Bdlx: $1, $5, $10
98.45% JoB: $1, $2, $5, $10, $25
98.39% JoB: $1, $2, $5, $10
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 1:46:53 PM permalink
thank you DRich!
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3616
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
August 12th, 2020 at 3:51:20 PM permalink
According to vpfree majority of those that drich listed are at bartops, which are currently closed (yeah I know trop currently is too).
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 4:15:49 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

According to vpfree majority of those that drich listed are at bartops, which are currently closed (yeah I know trop currently is too).



Good to know... I like playing at bartops. I'll keep an eye on their status.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
August 12th, 2020 at 5:09:13 PM permalink
I have new weekly mailer offers beginning Sept 1 from Trop. They made a big deal saying how they have bumped up my previous offers as a welcome back "gift", so seems kind of strange to be re-thinking that opening now?

On an unrelated note, Virgin Hotel and Casino (formerly Hard Rock) was supposed to be re-opening in September. Not re-opening from the covid closure but the planned re-opening under new owner and branding. Having driven by that property today it looks exactly the same as the day they closed, which was the day after the superbowl. The outside looks exactly the same with the old Hard Rock signage. Only thing missing is the big guitar which came down almost immediately after closing.

It sure doesn't look like they are opening on schedule which is interesting because it is my understanding there is some legal clause that they had to re-open, under the new brand within a 9 month window.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22293
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 12th, 2020 at 5:54:25 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

"All gaming and dining offers will be spread over total hotel nights offered. Resort fees may apply." Certainly reduces the attractiveness of the free play.

Given that I typically go to Vegas by myself, I think it's safe to say I couldn't even go through $400 in a day in food.


They've allowed me to use my dining credit at Starbucks there recently.
You could probably load up on Starbucks packaged coffee or whatever else they have that's packaged.

It may or may not work but you can always ask if you can buy a Starbucks gift card with your credit.

They have a fairly good Steakhouse there, you could probably run up a $200 per person bill, you could always invite the Wizard or someone from The Forum who lives in Vegas.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
August 12th, 2020 at 5:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

They've allowed me to use my dining credit at Starbucks there recently.
You could probably load up on Starbucks packaged coffee or whatever else they have that's packaged.

It may or may not work but you can always ask if you can buy a Starbucks gift card with your credit.

They have a fairly good Steakhouse there, you could probably run up a $200 per person bill, you could always invite the Wizard or someone from The Forum who lives in Vegas.



Great ideas! If I go, I'm definitely going to try and take full advantage.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 336
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
August 13th, 2020 at 4:50:21 AM permalink
A couple years ago Tropicana sent me an offer that was good once a month for 3 months. 5 nights, $750 daily dining credit and $600 daily freeplay. I went twice. I like the place. Without a dining credit I don't think I'd eat there as the food is way overpriced. I wouldn't even use comps for it. The buffet was pretty good. Nice pasta bar. The Asian place was good too. I don't really care about fancy stuff. Just decent food is fine with me. I tried to give them a little action but they just don't have that much that I like there.

One downside, and this is true of nearly all of Vegas, they don't let you use comps in stores. Not even the gift shop. Only food. I think it is deceitful for casinos to tell you all about the reasons you should use their reward program and then not tell you that you can't even use comps. I wanted to buy a shirt in MGM. The store is literally on the casino floor. They don't take comps. I think it's Vegas just thinking they can get away with stuff. So I don't feel sorry for them at all right now. They've been free riding for years. Time for them to get back to basics.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 336
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
August 13th, 2020 at 4:52:33 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

They've allowed me to use my dining credit at Starbucks there recently.
You could probably load up on Starbucks packaged coffee or whatever else they have that's packaged.

First time I went, they let me buy stuff. I didn't go crazy, just some mugs and stuff. Second time they said you could only get food. I think other people had been doing the above idea and they got hammered.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 336
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
August 13th, 2020 at 4:56:29 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Question:

Use all at once dining credit or use as required.

2,000 over meals for five days is still rich but realistically you and a few family members could go through it.

$2,000 all in one meal is absolutely nuts.


It's a balance. The cashier can look up what you have left for the day. I believe it's midnight to midnight.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 336
Joined: Feb 3, 2015
August 13th, 2020 at 4:59:54 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Tropicana Las Vegas Las Vegas, NV
99.11% DB: $1, $5, $10
98.98% DDB: $1, $5, $10
98.91% LV Airport/Illinois Deuces: $1, $5, $10
98.6103% SDDB: $1, $5, $10
98.49% Bdlx: $1, $5, $10
98.45% JoB: $1, $2, $5, $10, $25
98.39% JoB: $1, $2, $5, $10


I could be mistaken but last time I was there they had a 50 or 100 play quarter 8/5 bonus machine. It was in the video poker arena on the main floor.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 7529
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
August 13th, 2020 at 5:17:10 AM permalink
Don't try any Advantage table game play at any Penn National Gaming property you'll get the boot.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
August 16th, 2020 at 12:43:42 PM permalink
For such a nice offer, you'll probably be in a room by the casino floor and not in the rooms way back which take 15 minutes walking to the casino.
I am a robot.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 963
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
August 16th, 2020 at 4:51:32 PM permalink
Remember, gratuity is not included. Minimum 30% if itís comped or in your case dining credit.
  • Jump to: