buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:08:32 AM permalink
New Fees – 15% increase: The USPTO has announced new fees that will become effective on September 26, 2011. These fees represent an across-the-board 15% increase for almost all PTO fees. The effective date of the fees will be applied based upon the associated underlying filing date. Thus, a new application properly filed by Express Mail on September 25, 2011 will be charged under the old regime even if it does not arrive at the USPTO until September 26. Likewise, for most other responses, the date of the certificate of mailing will be used to calculate the fees due. [Link]

New Fees – Micro Entity: A new micro entity status has been created by the AIA that provides for a 75% discount on fees for certain applicants (including universities with operating budgets of more than $1 billion). However, the USPTO has announced that the micro entity status will only become effective after it implements final regulations on the topic.

Anybody know what a micro entity is? Should I start an inventor's club at Colorado Mesa University. 75% is one hell of a discount.
Especially for a mad man like me !
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:13:05 AM permalink
Guess I should have Googled first. Hope USPTO will implement this on Sept 26 to provisional patents.

PTO rules define a Small Entity as an individual inventor or inventors, a small business concern, or a nonprofit organization. In order to qualify as one of these three types of entities, none of the rights associated with a patent or patent application may have been assigned or licensed to any party that would not qualify for Small Entity Status, nor must there be any obligation on the part of the small entity to make such an assignment or license. All of the rights in the patent or patent application must be held by a small entity.
  • Jump to: