THESWEENEY
THESWEENEY
  • Threads: 14
July 6th, 2011 at 1:21:36 PM permalink
Before paying a patent attorney to draft a patent for me, I thought it best to perform a pretty exhaustive online patent search to make sure I'm not duplicating an existing idea. Any tips about how I should go about this search would be most gratefully appreciated.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 6th, 2011 at 1:44:43 PM permalink
One Word : USPTO
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
July 6th, 2011 at 1:50:31 PM permalink
Go to www.uspto.gov

Then under quick search, enter "key words" such as "Blackjack," and "ties," or "Poker" and "progressive" or "bad beat" etc.

Read everything that pops up.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
July 6th, 2011 at 1:56:26 PM permalink
If you really want to do it right, look at the file history for an issued gaming patent and review the search terms the Examiner used when he/she did the search for the PTO. Learning how to use the "advanced" search form on the PTO site is complicated but well worth it. Or you could hire an attorney or patent agent to do a search for you; the cost is usually a few hundred dollars.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: