MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 29th, 2016 at 6:16:21 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

What about you, Sir?
You are quite knowledgeable on gaming, and are probably a natural on this, in the sense that a knowledgeable amateur is often the best and freshest professional when called upon.

From what I've seen of you, Sir, - you actually might be a good fir for them. Or Paradigm or ME - also here at this forum.

I'm betting that SM777 is already employed by an AGS competitor, if not in table games than in some other fashion.

As for me, I'd be a great fit, except (a) I'm not moving back to Vegas, (b) I don't have full time available right now, and (c) I'm hunting bigger fish than what exist in the table games market anyway. (I'm developing next-generation EGM content.) Now, if AGS wants to acquire my firm (and the IP it controls) to go after that lucrative market, that's a different story, but I don't think that's on their radar right now. But that begs the question, if they're not willing to invest in EGM content R&D (and through a 3rd-party, I've been told as much), why are they hiring at the director level for table games? The upside is much, much smaller.

Or maybe that title is a misnomer -- the job posting only wants 2 years' experience past college.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 29th, 2016 at 6:18:38 PM permalink
Perhaps so. Let's see how this shakes out over time.
For all we know, there might be some big industry news this very week.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
August 29th, 2016 at 6:19:15 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Perhaps so. Let's see how this shakes out over time.
For all we know, there might be some big industry news this very week.

When you say perhaps, you mean there is........ :)
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 29th, 2016 at 6:19:48 PM permalink
Quote: SM777

I appreciate that, but I don't think it's a fit for me. Not really convinced their strategy on tables is a good one.

At the risk of giving AGS some free consulting, what would you do differently if John took a vacation for a month and you stepped in to fill his shoes? And to explore a counterfactual, what would you have done differently if David Lopez had hired you two years ago instead of John?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
August 29th, 2016 at 6:22:45 PM permalink

When you say perhaps, you mean there is........ :)

I don't know, that's why I said perhaps.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
SM777
SM777
August 29th, 2016 at 6:22:56 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

At the risk of giving AGS some free consulting, what would you do differently if John took a vacation for a month and you stepped in to fill his shoes? And to explore a counterfactual, what would you have done differently if David Lopez had hired you two years ago instead of John?

I think it was touched on in here, that the exorbitant amount they spent to acquire a few games really set them back. They'll never get anything back from Double Ball Roulette, it will take 50 years to get back what they spent on Double Draw, and the patent will expire on Buster BJ before they can get half of their money back.

That money should've been invested in people, and as you just expressed electronic tables development, or even progressive equipment. Instead they're debuting a shuffler at G2E. It just doesn't make sense.
SM777
SM777
August 29th, 2016 at 6:24:45 PM permalink

I think it was touched on in here, that the exorbitant amount they spent to acquire a few games really set them back. They'll never get anything back from Double Ball Roulette, it will take 50 years to get back what they spent on Double Draw, and the patent will expire on Buster BJ before they can get half of their money back.

That money should've been invested in people, and as you just expressed electronic tables development, or even progressive equipment. Instead they're debuting a shuffler at G2E. It just doesn't make sense.

I am sure they've acquired other games as well early on that are collecting dust.
SM777
SM777
August 29th, 2016 at 6:27:00 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I'm betting that SM777 is already employed by an AGS competitor, if not in table games than in some other fashion.

As for me, I'd be a great fit, except (a) I'm not moving back to Vegas, (b) I don't have full time available right now, and (c) I'm hunting bigger fish than what exist in the table games market anyway. (I'm developing next-generation EGM content.) Now, if AGS wants to acquire my firm (and the IP it controls) to go after that lucrative market, that's a different story, but I don't think that's on their radar right now. But that begs the question, if they're not willing to invest in EGM content R&D (and through a 3rd-party, I've been told as much), why are they hiring at the director level for table games? The upside is much, much smaller.

Or maybe that title is a misnomer -- the job posting only wants 2 years' experience past college.

Does anyone have a bartop unit for a table game with a dealer? They've got all these betting terminals sitting on slot floors. Create one that sits on the bartop where I can play "live" games.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
August 29th, 2016 at 6:27:00 PM permalink

I am sure they've acquired other games as well early on that are collecting dust.

For all we know, they may have collected a game or two that may break out. Double Ball roulette was a bad bet, but a good bet will help.
As you know, it is a game of numbers.
SM777
SM777
August 29th, 2016 at 6:30:52 PM permalink
We shall see. Looks like Chase The Flush got some love on here. Is that an internal game of theirs?

• Jump to: