tupp
  • Threads: 3
January 3rd, 2013 at 8:38:48 AM permalink
Your tax dollars at work.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
January 3rd, 2013 at 8:42:25 AM permalink
Oh holy crap that's scary. The gov't wanted him to use a back door he put in the software to access information on gamblers (passwords, usernames etc). Big Brother anyone?

Orwell was right. Soon the thought police are coming(actually they are already here).
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
January 3rd, 2013 at 8:52:05 AM permalink
Quote: tupp

I agree it's a waste but in the end I think he'll be acquitted. The implications of this are too huge for them to get a conviction. If software that can be used for an illegal purpose or can aid in a criminal enterprise can get you a felony charge I'd hate to be Bill Gates.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 3rd, 2013 at 10:09:41 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Oh holy crap that's scary. The gov't wanted him to use a back door he put in the software to access information on gamblers (passwords, usernames etc). Big Brother anyone?

Orwell was right. Soon the thought police are coming(actually they are already here).

Your statement is duly noted and recorded comrade.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 3rd, 2013 at 10:39:46 AM permalink
Never underestimate the power of the government. Once you are in the Fed spotlight, your goose is cooked !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 3rd, 2013 at 11:14:44 AM permalink
YIKES.

So if I write accounting software that allows end users to use a "book code" to keep a separate set of books that is hidden from the government, am I now guilty of fraud?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 3rd, 2013 at 11:20:39 AM permalink
If your end user is in organized crime, you may be charged under RICO !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 3rd, 2013 at 11:46:21 AM permalink
I guess the article must have forgotten to mention the part where he went to residences in the State of New York and proceeded to put a gun to the heads of the residents, then he marched them to Wal-Mart to purchase a pre-paid VISA card, then he forced them to log on to said gaming sites, create accounts, make deposits with said card, and play 6/5 BJ until they lost everything.

I'm assuming that happened because, if not, WTF did the guy do wrong!!??
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 3rd, 2013 at 11:51:52 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I guess the article must have forgotten to mention the part where he went to residences in the State of New York and proceeded to put a gun to the heads of the residents, then he marched them to Wal-Mart to purchase a pre-paid VISA card, then he forced them to log on to said gaming sites, create accounts, make deposits with said card, and play 6/5 BJ until they lost everything.

I'm assuming that happened because, if not, WTF did the guy do wrong!!??

You have overlooked the obvious . He has committed the most grievous crime known to government. Due to his software, he has enabled people to violate the law. He had aided and abetted people in the high crime of " RECREATION WITHOUT TAXATION "

Sammy Gravano is on the witness list.
allinriverking
allinriverking
  • Threads: 29
January 4th, 2013 at 6:07:08 AM permalink
So are they going after the internet providers, that provided the electronic vehicle to carry out the illegal transactions.. I mean after all if they couldn't connect to the world wide web they wouldn't of been able to carry out their illegal deeds....
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 4th, 2013 at 3:40:54 PM permalink
Quote: allinriverking

So are they going after the internet providers, that provided the electronic vehicle to carry out the illegal transactions.. I mean after all if they couldn't connect to the world wide web they wouldn't of been able to carry out their illegal deeds....

You're right, we must BAN THE INTERNET!!!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
allinriverking
allinriverking
  • Threads: 29
January 5th, 2013 at 3:56:02 AM permalink
Just like guns kill people.... right....
GH
GH
  • Threads: 7
January 5th, 2013 at 12:17:45 PM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

Quote: tupp

I agree it's a waste but in the end I think he'll be acquitted. The implications of this are too huge for them to get a conviction. If software that can be used for an illegal purpose or can aid in a criminal enterprise can get you a felony charge I'd hate to be Bill Gates.

The implications are that we will see a domestic, inwards extension of the ITAR laws. These are the same laws that make it a crime for someone to sell a Playstation game console on eBay to someone in Iran or the DPRK.
  • Jump to: