coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 17th, 2014 at 11:01:52 AM permalink
Attorneys for plaintiff are citing dangerous conditions.........dangerous conditions exist 100% of the time in horse racing. Whether it's on the farm, in the breeding shed, breaking yearlings, shoeing racehorses, exercising horses, foaling horses, grooming, hot walking, feeding, transporting, racing, or even having you picture taken with the horse after a winning race......yes people have been seriously hurt in the winners circle.

It was a hell of a pileup, no doubt. Based on what I saw, racing should have been cancelled prior to the ill fated race. But that's a guess in hindsight.
Each day is better than the next
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 17th, 2014 at 11:10:47 AM permalink
I can remember snowy days in the 50's and 60's when racing should have been cancelled and Bowie. Several jockeys refused to ride
those days. And owners refused to give them any further mounts. Was at Shenandoah Down just prior to a hurricane. Rain coming down in buckets, less than $1,000 in the parimutuel pool. Races were only cancelled after lightning took a light pole.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 17th, 2014 at 11:23:39 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I Rain coming down in buckets, less than $1,000 in the parimutuel pool. Races were only cancelled after lightning took a light pole.

The track gets approximately 6% of the parimutuel pool......the damn lightning cost the track 60 bucks.
Each day is better than the next
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 17th, 2014 at 11:27:24 AM permalink
this was in the 60's, more like 15%. Shenandoah is basically a hole in the ground, next to Charlestown. When I rode the train from Baltimore to Charlestown, if the train was late, the post time for the first race would get moved back.

Shenandoah was actually just outside the city limits of Charlestown. Ran from 1959 to 1975. Tore down the grandstands in 2006.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
  • Jump to: