hitthefloor
hitthefloor
  • Threads: 9
December 17th, 2011 at 8:29:31 AM permalink
Hi everybody...
I'm a jacks or better guy starting to play more DDB...
I have the chart from the Wizard on my smartphone for reference...
I play some inside straight draws wrong (I'm assuming, since I'm second guessing myself when I don't draw it and it would have hit)
All the variations on the chart take a long time to go through, so I was wondering if the Wizard or someone can simplify when to go for the inside straight
(ie: if the card you need is a 2-7, J, Q, etc..) so I can wrap my mind around the proper inside straight draw..
I've noticed the inside straight completes more than I thought it would, but I know you shouldn't always go after it..(3 to a straight flush I think?)
Any clarification and simplification would be appeciated..
Happy Holidays all !!!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 17th, 2011 at 10:33:01 AM permalink
You only play the low inside straight draw (no high cards) when you have nothing else to play. Even just one high card--prefer that over the inside straight. If you can make an inside straight with two or more unsuited high cards (e.g., 89JQ, 9TQK), you should prefer that over holding just the high cards. Those two rules of thumb should serve you well, and will save you a bit of money over the long run.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
December 17th, 2011 at 11:07:55 AM permalink
- 4 to an inside straight with no high cards is the first play higher than "discard everything" but is lower than all other plays, as teddys mentioned.

- 4 to an inside straight with 1 high card (such as A234, A235, 789J, 89TQ, etc) should never be played.

- When it comes to 4 to an inside straight with 2 or more high cards, here is the portion of the basic strategy showing where each type falls:

1. JQKA
  2. suited JA, JQ, JK, QA, QK, or KA
  3. 9JQK; TJQA; TJKA; TQKA
  4. 3 to a straight flush: 0 high cards w/1 gap, or 1 high card w/2 gaps
  5. unsuited JQK
  6. 89JQ; 8TJQ; 9TJK; 9TQK
  7. unsuited JQ
  8. an Ace
  9. etc.
The only exception (that relates to 4 to an inside straight) is that line 3 beats line 2 when the fifth card is a Flush penalty to the 2 suited high cards.

Also, this assumes that you are using the 9/6 paytable (98.9808% return)
  • Jump to: