craigrow
craigrow
  • Threads: 4
December 16th, 2011 at 11:51:55 AM permalink
I'm a newbie so sorry for the basic questions. I don't see a way to search the forums for the answers. I'm using the basic strategies posted on WizardofOdds.com. I've found these are the easiest to follow.

[Jacks or better]

The card says, if I don't have three to a straight flush or better I should keep 2 unsuited high cards. If I have more than two I should pick the lowest two.

What is the lowest? If I have Ah Kd Qs, I should keep the King and Queen? Why would it matter which of the high cards I picked. I have equal chances of pairing each one and the payout would be the same regardless. If I'm looking for a straight, I keep the K, Q then I need A, J, 10 to get the straight. The odds of that happening are the same as getting Q, J, 10 if I kept the Ace instead of the Q.

[Deuces Wild]

If I have a deuce I include that card when determing which cards to keep, correct? For example, if I have Ah Kh Qh 2d 3s I would consider that four to a royal flush and not three to a royal flush, correct?

The very lowest hand I would keep anything is no dueces, two to a royal flush, J, Q high. What does this mean? I would only keep J, Q suited? Would I also keep a K, Q suited? What about 10, J or 10, K suited? Also, when calculating two to a straight flush, are they two in sequence or any two? In other words, do I keep J, Q suited and discard K, 10 suited?

Thanks for the help.
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
December 16th, 2011 at 12:08:34 PM permalink
To address your jacksor better question the reason you hold the smaller is bcuz you have more ways of getting the straight, not just the A J 10, but also 9 10 J would give you it.
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
craigrow
craigrow
December 16th, 2011 at 2:40:31 PM permalink
Quote: Knuckleball3

To address your jacksor better question the reason you hold the smaller is bcuz you have more ways of getting the straight, not just the A J 10, but also 9 10 J would give you it.

Got it, thanks Knuckleball.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
December 16th, 2011 at 3:39:42 PM permalink
Quote: craigrow

[Deuces Wild]

If I have a deuce I include that card when determining which cards to keep, correct? For example, if I have Ah Kh Qh 2d 3s I would consider that four to a royal flush and not three to a royal flush, correct?

Yes.

The very lowest hand I would keep anything is no dueces, two to a royal flush, J, Q high. What does this mean?

It means 2 to a royal flush where the highest card is a J or Q. In other words, suited TJ, suited TQ, or suited JQ.

Would I also keep a K, Q suited? What about 10, J or 10, K suited?

You would not keep suited TK, JK, or QK if you are following the basic strategy. TJ is a hand you do keep, as I clarified above.

Also, when calculating two to a straight flush, are they two in sequence or any two? In other words, do I keep J, Q suited and discard K, 10 suited?

Unless there is a qualifier, it means any two. For example, the next-to-last line of the "1 deuce" list says "3 to a straight flush with 2 consecutive singletons, 6-7 or higher" which means that the two natural cards must be consecutive (no gap between them) and must not be lower than 67. So in other words, it means a Deuce plus suited 67, 78, 89, or 9T.
craigrow
craigrow
December 17th, 2011 at 10:10:33 AM permalink
Fantastic. Thanks for the clarifications.
  • Jump to: