clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
January 12th, 2011 at 5:21:34 PM permalink
Can anyone recommend a computer with touchscreen technology like they have had on video blackjack and video poker machines for years? Even better would be a system that can be used as touchscreen and point and click simultaneously. I know Ipad has multitouch but you aren't able to use a mouse also, and it doesn't support FLASHPLAYER which SUCKS. I'm looking for a system that supports multitouch with all activities, not just supported by some applications.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 12th, 2011 at 5:59:18 PM permalink
Quote: clarkacal

I'm looking for a system that supports multitouch with all activities, not just supported by some applications.

Sony has some, it's a system-in-a-monitor that supports proper keyboards etc., and has a touch screen. Not sure if it's multitouch. It's available up to a respectable 27". If you are looking for something portable, they have touchscreens in some netbooks these days (Asus at least), and perhaps some laptops, not sure which.

Multi-touch screens aren't really needed on full-featured computers, it's much easier to use normal controls than run multi-touch gestures over a vertical screen. Touchscreen control is mostly useful when you need something quick.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
fivespot
fivespot
  • Threads: 2
January 20th, 2011 at 3:24:49 PM permalink
Quote: clarkacal

Can anyone recommend a computer with touchscreen technology like they have had on video blackjack and video poker machines for years? Even better would be a system that can be used as touchscreen and point and click simultaneously. I know Ipad has multitouch but you aren't able to use a mouse also, and it doesn't support FLASHPLAYER which SUCKS. I'm looking for a system that supports multitouch with all activities, not just supported by some applications.

Most video poker machines aren't multitouch. Try touching different cards with your right and left hand simultaneously. It will register one of the touches and not the other, or a touch somewhere between your two touches.

No mainstream computing platforms support multiple pointers, which is what you're asking for.
aahigh
aahigh
  • Threads: 3
January 20th, 2011 at 5:18:04 PM permalink
I actually know quite a bit about this kind of thing.

The best display available to the general public for MultiTouch is the 3M display. I have one, and it's the best functionally of any multi-touch display out there (meaning it works the best).

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/TouchSystems/TouchScreen/Solutions/MultiTouch/M2256PW

These can be had for under $1500 for the display.

The downsides are that it's not full 1080p (1680x1050), it's not that big, and it has visible crosshairs in the display. But if you need as many touch points as you can fit fingers on the display, this is your only solution right now today.

If you 2 touch or less is acceptable, and/or if you can handle a little bit of latency there are many many more options.

I can pretty much guarantee everyone in the business right now today uses this model as the benchmark of performance for what they would like to achieve in terms of response times and simultaneous touch points.

3M also showed a 32 or 33 inch prototype at G2E 2010 that might be shipping later this year that doesn't have the crosshair problems and performs as well.
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
January 20th, 2011 at 5:19:47 PM permalink
What do you think about the HP touchsmart ?
flydog
flydog
  • Threads: 0
March 24th, 2011 at 10:38:33 PM permalink
hey Clarkacal,
whats the goal of this touch screen?
  • Jump to: