100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 525
  • Posts: 3100
February 18th, 2021 at 11:53:57 AM permalink
9/7 Triple Double Bonus strategy:
https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-120-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-2-d-4-d-7-d-9-d-50-d-80-d-160-d-400-d-800-d-50-d-800/

I'm making a small pocket size print out.

I would like to simplify these 2 sections (in bold):
3 to a Flush (1 high card): 23J; 23Q; 24J; 24Q; 25J; 25Q; 26A; 26J; 26Q; 27A; 27J; 27Q; 27K; 28A...
2 to a Royal Flush: TJ
3 to a Flush (1 high card): 23K; 24K; 25K; 26K; 34K; 35K; 36K; 45K; 46K; 56K

3 to a Straight TJQ
2 to a Straight JQ
3 to a Straight Flush (2 gap): 458; 468; 478; 569; 579; 589; 67T; 68T; 69T
2 to a Royal Flush: TQ
3 to a Straight Flush (2 gap): 236; 246; 256; 347; 357; 367


if i combine the 'Flush 1 high card' lines, where does the TJ go? below it?
If i combine the 'Straight flush 2 gap' lines, where does the TQ go? below it?

Anything else to simplify in the overall strategy (not just these sections) without reducing EV too much?
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Feb 18, 2021
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 4632
Thanks for this post from:
rdw4potus
February 18th, 2021 at 12:37:01 PM permalink
If it was me, I would simplify the wording rather than reduce the number of rows:

3 to a Flush (one high, except K and two 2-6)
2 to a Royal Flush (TJ)
3 to a Flush (K and two 2-6)

3 to a Straight Flush (spread 4; high card 8-10)
2 to a Royal Flush (TQ)
3 to a Straight Flush (spread 4: high card 6-7)

"Spread 4" means the difference between the low and high cards is 4 (e.g. 2-6, or 9-K)
100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 525
  • Posts: 3100
February 18th, 2021 at 1:41:16 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

If it was me, I would simplify the wording rather than reduce the number of rows:

3 to a Flush (one high, except K and two 2-6)
2 to a Royal Flush (TJ)
3 to a Flush (K and two 2-6)

what does K2-6 have to do with TJ suited?
how do they interact with each other? (i dont see it)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 4632
February 18th, 2021 at 2:45:40 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

what does K2-6 have to do with TJ suited?
how do they interact with each other? (i dont see it)


Suppose you have K63 of spades and JT of diamonds.
The strategy says to hold the JT.
On the other hand, if it's Q63 of spades and JT of diamonds, the strategy says to hold the Q63 (unless holding the QJT is better).
Also, with K73 of spades and JT of diamonds, hold the K73.
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 422
Thanks for this post from:
100xOdds
February 19th, 2021 at 7:33:28 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

what does K2-6 have to do with TJ suited?
how do they interact with each other? (i dont see it)



100xOdds,

Say your first four cards are TJ of spades and K2 of diamonds. Now if the fifth card is a 7 of diamonds, then holding K72 is correct, but if the fifth card is a 6 of diamonds, then holding TJ is correct. The reason is that if the fifth card is a 7 (or 8 or 9), holding TJ becomes less valuable because you will have to throw away a card that could turn the TJ into a straight. Naturally, if the fifth card is a 6 (or 5, 4, 3), then that card does not interfere with the potential straight for the TJ holding. The technical term for this phenomenon is "penalty card".

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 525
  • Posts: 3100
February 20th, 2021 at 10:56:15 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

100xOdds,

Say your first four cards are TJ of spades and K2 of diamonds. Now if the fifth card is a 7 of diamonds, then holding K72 is correct, but if the fifth card is a 6 of diamonds, then holding TJ is correct. The reason is that if the fifth card is a 7 (or 8 or 9), holding TJ becomes less valuable because you will have to throw away a card that could turn the TJ into a straight. Naturally, if the fifth card is a 6 (or 5, 4, 3), then that card does not interfere with the potential straight for the TJ holding. The technical term for this phenomenon is "penalty card".

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

thx.
To simplify my 9/7 tdb cheatsheet, I'm going to eliminate that line and just have '3 flush (1 high card)' over tj suited.
It just makes it easier/quicker to automatically pick '3 flush (1 non-ace high card)' when I see the 5 dealt cards without 2 suited high cards or better.

It's only 10 hands I'm leaving out. I assume it's very small EV I'm giving up?
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Feb 20, 2021
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)

  • Jump to: