jek187
jek187
  • Threads: 4
June 28th, 2017 at 3:33:17 PM permalink
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend some software that could compute the house edge and optimal strategy for a game with this pay table?

Aces or better:
Aces: 1
2 Pair: 2
Trips: 3
Straight: 5
Flush: 5
Full House: 8
Quads: 25
Straight Flush: 106.25 (yes, it’s really fractional due to getting better odds as you increase your bet, this represents the max bet)
Royal: 500

There are other parameters to the game, but I can do my own math on them if I can get an optimal strategy for the game as stated. I've contacted Zamzone to see if Video Poker Strategy Master could do this, but haven't received a reply in over a week. Winpoker appears to be on the same site, and I haven't found any Frugal Video Poker software that the Wizard refers to in his video poker FAQ (/ask-the-wizard/video-poker/).

Anyone have any other tips? Or is anyone interested in some contract work? Thanks a lot!
phendricks
phendricks
  • Threads: 6
June 28th, 2017 at 8:02:09 PM permalink
House Edge: 15.02%
Perfect Strategy: Link
jek187
jek187
June 29th, 2017 at 8:12:51 AM permalink
Quote: phendricks

House Edge: 15.02%
Perfect Strategy: Link

Thank you very much Phendricks!
GaryJKoehler
GaryJKoehler
  • Threads: 9
July 19th, 2017 at 11:38:17 AM permalink
From jek187 I got the following clarification: "So, there's a pool for 4s, and a pool for 9s. Say there's 32 credits in the 4s pool, and your final hand is AK884. 1 credit (for the 4) would be added to the 4s pool. And since that pool can pay out randomly at any amount from 20-100 credits, there's a 1 in 67 chance you'll win the 33 credits in the pool. If the credit added to the pool was the 80th credit, there'd be a 1 in 20 chance. So obviously if the 4s pool is at 99, the machine is hugely +EV as one 4 nets you 99 credits. If your final hand was 9944x, then two credits would be added to each pool."

Does anyone know the answers to the following?

If one ended a hand with a 4 and a 9, do they get two random payouts?

If one ended a hand with two 4s, do they get two random payouts?

Does anyone have a picture of the actual game screen that could be shared here?

Are the 4 and 9 pools communal or just established for each machine?
jek187
jek187
October 2nd, 2017 at 2:40:42 PM permalink
Hi everyone,

Is there any resource out there that will compute how often each starting hand will be dealt in video poker. I'm not referring to just the standard hands from royal flush down to 1 pair down to high card. Rather, I'm looking for something that would give me a breakdown of each of the hands on the above list:

I have a basic knowledge of combinations and permutations, and some modest Excel skill. However, I start to melt down when computing probabilities for hands lower down the list. For example, 4 to an outside straight (the 12th item on that strategy list). I can compute the odds of being dealt one easily enough. But then I need to account for not getting a straight flush, not getting 4 to an outside straight flush, not getting 4 to a gutshot straight flush, not getting 4 to a flush, and, for some of the possible 4-straights, 3 to a royal. Given enough time, I could probably muddle through and get it, but then it's not like it's going to get any better the further down the list I go. The possibility for errors is nearly limitless for me.

So, I'm hoping someone here knows of some tool that would compute the probability of each starting hand, accounting for the hands higher on the list. Much thanks!
  • Jump to: