Wungee
Wungee
  • Threads: 8
October 27th, 2012 at 10:58:37 AM permalink
Let me start by saying that I love wizardofodds and wizardofvegas – what excellent resources. Thank you Wizard!

Now, a quick question about Optimal Strategy for playing Jacks or Better video poker. I believe there is a mistake (well, typo anyway) on the exception for holding J, Q suited (exception B – see https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/jacks-or-better/9-6/optimal/). The exception reads: "4 to an inside straight beats suited jack and queen with 9 or flush penalty card." I think he means J, Q, K, A beats suited J, Q if the 5th card is a flush penalty card. I have used the hand analyzer on: 8h, 9d, Jc, Qc, and 2s – which is obviously 4 to an inside straight with a 9 – and found J, Q to be the superior holding . I also tried it with 8h, Td, Jc, Qc, and 2c – 4 to an inside straight, with a flush penalty card – and still found J, Q to be the superior holding. Am I reading something wrong, or did I find a small mistake?

Thanks again for a wonderful web site. Literally page after page of excellent material, and the podcasts are great as well.

Wungee
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 27th, 2012 at 1:37:27 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 27th, 2012 at 4:18:57 PM permalink
Yeah, what he said. The only inside straight you draw to in 9/6 JOB over QJ suited is AQKJ anyway. The footnote should be read to together with the main table, which puts QJs right over AQKJ. So, not a mistake.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wungee
Wungee
  • Threads: 8
October 27th, 2012 at 9:56:09 PM permalink
Thank you both for the clarification.
  • Jump to: