HugoSlavia
HugoSlavia
  • Threads: 1
Thanks for this post from:
bobbartop
November 30th, 2019 at 10:40:18 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Without looking it up, and still with sleep in my eyes, I'm thinking about .0015.

Yes, Wizard says 0.16% for six-card charlie:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/basics/

But that's for an 8-deck game. Single deck could be considerably lower.

Btw, surrender is somewhat unusual on the machines in Vegas, but it's one of those rules primarily valued by card counters with opportunities to identify + situations.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 29
bobbartopsmoothgrh
November 30th, 2019 at 10:46:46 AM permalink
Enjoyed the TR.

It's really hard to make a royal in Hold Em. That jackpot sounds very stingy.

I wonder if the woman got to the sex party and mentioned she had come from playing poker and some guy was like, "oooh, they have poker here?"
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 109
November 30th, 2019 at 11:14:27 AM permalink
Quote: HugoSlavia

Yes, Wizard says 0.16% for six-card charlie:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/basics/

But that's for an 8-deck game. Single deck could be considerably lower.

Btw, surrender is somewhat unusual on the machines in Vegas, but it's one of those rules primarily valued by card counters with opportunities to identify + situations.

I'm not arguing or disagreeing, but I don't see why 8-deck or single would differ on 6-card Charlie.

As to surrender, off the top of my head, with best rules Game Kings I surrender T-6, 9-7, T-5, 9-6, and 7-7 versus Dealer Ten.
bobbartop
bobbartop
smoothgrh
November 30th, 2019 at 11:15:59 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Enjoyed the TR.

It's really hard to make a royal in Hold Em. That jackpot sounds very stingy.

I wonder if the woman got to the sex party and mentioned she had come from playing poker and some guy was like, "oooh, they have poker here?"

I enjoyed the TR also. And I also thought the royal was on the cheap side.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 46
bobbartop
November 30th, 2019 at 11:17:42 AM permalink

This can't be right.

Gah. I should know better than to trust a secondary source.

I'll try to get the actual percentages/rules soon.
HugoSlavia
HugoSlavia
November 30th, 2019 at 1:16:57 PM permalink

I'm not arguing or disagreeing, but I don't see why 8-deck or single would differ on 6-card Charlie.

This is interesting because someone asked about 6-card Charlie in reference to a single deck game, and Wizard did not mention the possibility of adjusting the 0.16% calculation:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/blackjack/989-6-card-charlie/#post5606

My logic is that for single deck, your odds of continuing to draw low cards diminish rapidly. To simplify, assume there are 20 cards in the deck that help you, and you need 6 of them. Odds on your first card are 1-in-20, then 1-in-19, continuing down to 1-in-15. For a shoe game, your odds continue in the vicinity of 1-in-20.

As an extreme example, imagine a big jackpot offered for a hand of 333333. Now it's completely impossible at single deck.
bobbartop
bobbartop
November 30th, 2019 at 4:41:53 PM permalink

This is interesting because someone asked about 6-card Charlie in reference to a single deck game, and Wizard did not mention the possibility of adjusting the 0.16% calculation:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/blackjack/989-6-card-charlie/#post5606

My logic is that for single deck, your odds of continuing to draw low cards diminish rapidly. To simplify, assume there are 20 cards in the deck that help you, and you need 6 of them. Odds on your first card are 1-in-20, then 1-in-19, continuing down to 1-in-15. For a shoe game, your odds continue in the vicinity of 1-in-20.

As an extreme example, imagine a big jackpot offered for a hand of 333333. Now it's completely impossible at single deck.

I dunno. I was just looking at some of Wong's charts. It's confusing. For instance, for the longest time I have been hitting five card hard 17 against Dealer 9, T, or Ace. After just looking at Wong, it appears I should also hit 17 against 8. In single deck? I dunno. I'm just more confused now.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
November 30th, 2019 at 5:21:51 PM permalink
Should have stopped at the Lucky Beaver next to Dottys. Great burgers and they comp decent craft drafts, even on .05 VP.
HugoSlavia
HugoSlavia
November 30th, 2019 at 5:44:51 PM permalink

I dunno. I was just looking at some of Wong's charts. It's confusing. For instance, for the longest time I have been hitting five card hard 17 against Dealer 9, T, or Ace. After just looking at Wong, it appears I should also hit 17 against 8. In single deck? I dunno. I'm just more confused now.

I haven't studied Charlie strategy at all. Wizard calculated strategy using an infinite deck:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/rule-variations/automatic-winner-charlie-rule/

Wizard says only hit 17 against 9, T or A.

If you stand against 8 for infinite deck, I assume you would also have to stand for any finite number of decks because you'd then have a lower percentage of your desired cards remaining available. Single deck would be the least aggressive of all, so you would possibly stand vs 9. But I don't know either.

It's a rarely occurring situation though, so shouldn't significantly affect EV.
bobbartop
bobbartop
November 30th, 2019 at 7:29:07 PM permalink

It's a rarely occurring situation though, so shouldn't significantly affect EV.

No sir. It happens all the time. I play a lot. And at a rate of at least 1000 hands an hour. Of course, each hand is fresh, shuffled each hand. Between Charlie strategy and card composition, I really have to stay awake. Do I stand 16 against a ten? Are there 5s out or 6s out? 16 against a 9? How are the 7s?

• Jump to: