Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 314
February 27th, 2012 at 12:06:14 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

You don't raise bottom pairs against scary boards, like straight or flush draws.

I don't think Stephen caught the straight problem in his strategy (he knows about not raising against flush draws), but I've noticed it from playing too many practice rounds with the calculator on. I plugged your hand into the wiz's calculator, and it confirms you should check. It's borderline, -0.584 vs -0.574.

Thanks. Interesting. The calculator would seem to trump the webpage, which perhaps is simpler. Good to know the WoO Game is not just suffering a glitch.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
February 27th, 2012 at 12:17:38 PM permalink
The Wizard's strategy gives up more than 1.3% in edge (playing at 3.5%), and still isn't that easy to learn. Stephen claims his is 2.2% vs 2.1% optimal, so I have been going by that.

I biggest error I know about is the strategy says to play any non-pocket pair against an off-suit board. Instead, you should check some low pairs against some straight draws. I have no idea about the details.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
February 27th, 2012 at 12:30:35 PM permalink

Stephen claims his is 2.2% vs 2.1% optimal, so I have been going by that.

where do you find that strategy?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
February 27th, 2012 at 12:31:16 PM permalink
http://discountgambling.net/ultimate-texas-holdem/
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
February 27th, 2012 at 1:09:49 PM permalink
Wiz - nice job! You only owe me $3,850 because I stopped at $8,850 - I didn't want to run it up too much. Had I lost I certainly would've sent you a check....
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
February 27th, 2012 at 1:23:25 PM permalink

http://discountgambling.net/ultimate-texas-holdem/

Thanks. Looks like I'll be able to laminate it and use it too. Will take time to fully decipher that jargon/slang though!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 27th, 2012 at 1:48:28 PM permalink
I find this game endlessly fascinating. I also play the StephenHow strategy. (Sorry, WoO, yours is just too complicated. But nice having options!). I've found most of his strategy points jibe with the Wizard of Odds calculator (another great resource, btw). There are very few deviations and most of them are small with 0.01-0.02 variance.

I play this game a lot and am ahead on it, thanks mostly to a $900 straight flush I hit a year or two ago with $10 ante/$10 trips. (I never play that much anymore; only $5 antes, no trips).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Triplell
Triplell
  • Threads: 9
February 27th, 2012 at 7:01:39 PM permalink
Played about 4 or 5 hands...why can't this happen to me when it's real money?

rama13
rama13
  • Threads: 1
February 27th, 2012 at 7:19:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It does for me. Can anybody else corroborate the above?

It seems to be working now.
rama13
rama13
  • Threads: 1
February 27th, 2012 at 7:24:49 PM permalink
I just got 3-of-a-kind, and it looks like it only paid me 2:1 on my Trips bet -- but I think this was due to the fact the cheques look similar, and I think there was a diff. denomination there....So...Nevermind.

• Jump to: