GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 11
August 20th, 2024 at 1:05:02 PM permalink
So I was playing with the Wiz's UTH practice game with help set on only if I make a mistake. My hand was 9d-2h, so I checked. The flop came out at 7c-8h-2d. So I was holding a hidden pair of deuces, which basic strategy says to check instead of medium raise. The online game actually, I swear, snickered at me, and then told me the correct play was to raise. So I went to the Wiz's online UTH calculator, put in my hand, and the strategy did indeed say to raise instead of checking. I was holding a hidden pair of dueces, but I wasn't holding a two pair or better of four a flush. What did I miss? Is the Wiz's calculator more advanced than the Wiz's basic strategy? Should I always make a medium raise when holding three or four to an outside straight?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 61
August 20th, 2024 at 9:15:58 PM permalink
Yes, the Wiz's calculator is more advanced than the Wizard's strategy; you can find exceptions to his strategy with the calculator

You can find the best published UTH strategy for the Flop (2x) bet on this link:Discount Gambling. This is also the best published overall UTH strategy that I am aware of.

Here's the top level strategy for raising hidden pairs of the Flop(2X) decision.

"Generally, you bet (2x) any pair you’ve made on the flop. The only time you’d check your pair is if the board is suited, and you have a pair, no flush draw, and your kicker is smaller than the board (it’s pretty rare). Also, you should check your small pocket pair (4’s or smaller) if the board is paired, and all the board cards are bigger than your pair. And, you should check your pocket pair if the board is suited, unless you have a flush draw, or there are smaller cards on the board, as described in the strategy table (see the link). But other than those rare cases, you’re betting 2x on any pair you make."
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
August 21st, 2024 at 3:27:28 AM permalink
This strategy is too complicated. Here is my simple strategy:

You bet (2x) any pair you’ve made on the flop, except a pair of deuces with a kicker 3 or 4.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 658
August 21st, 2024 at 4:18:30 AM permalink
Quote: aceside

This strategy is too complicated. Here is my simple strategy:

You bet (2x) any pair you’ve made on the flop, except a pair of deuces with a kicker 3 or 4.
link to original post

Interesting.
Why doesn't wiz use that in his simple strategy?
It's not that much more complicated than don't raise naked pair 2s
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
  • Jump to: