15 votes (41.66%)
4 votes (11.11%)

36 members have voted

SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
December 25th, 2010 at 2:29:07 PM permalink
Quote: superrick

I never have a pass-line bet, unless I have the dice in my hands, then I am paying rent on the table.

How do place bettors avoid "paying rent"
aceofhearts
aceofhearts
  • Threads: 0
December 25th, 2010 at 2:53:05 PM permalink
How about some craps 101.. Put the least amount allowed on the Don' Pass/Don't Come and back it up with max odds and do that on every roll of the dice. If your paranoid with peer pressure about being a wrong way player then do the same on the Pass Line you wont lose much, but you'll feel good about yourself. However after 35 years of playing craps peer pressure no longer applies. If your so compelled that you must make some other exotic or intriguing bet to show people that you know the game of craps then go ahead make a place bet to impress the gallery. Craps is very simple don't make it hard.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
December 25th, 2010 at 2:54:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Five-day suspension.

Bob, I'll give you the opportunity to provide the ten examples before I decide your punishment. You may also choose to apologize or retract the statement.

I was speaking with sarcastic irony, I assumed Martin could provide 10 examples or he wouldn't have made a claim of such malice so cavalierly. I obviously spoke in haste and withdraw the statement, my assessment of the situation was flawed. My sincerest apologies to all involved.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
7winner
7winner
  • Threads: 9
December 25th, 2010 at 3:02:54 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

How do place bettors avoid "paying rent"

Watch out with that question.

superrick is not only a place bettor but a dice influencer to boot from his many posts here at WoV.

The very LOUD place bettors must LOVE the minimum 1.5% house edge on their place bets.
I almost forgot, they can get a little better on the Buy 4 and Buy 10.

Take that to the bank.
7 winner chicken dinner!
bjgod
bjgod
  • Threads: 3
December 25th, 2010 at 3:03:03 PM permalink
2 days and 12 hours to the minute man I slept a long time
I am a blackjack machine programed to take in cards and shit out money!
7winner
7winner
December 25th, 2010 at 3:08:33 PM permalink
Quote: aceofhearts

How about some craps 101.. Put the least amount allowed on the Don' Pass/Don't Come and back it up with max odds and do that on every roll of the dice.

The challenge there is most times you need a very large bankroll when the numbers keep rolling while you are laying the full odds..
The successful aggressive don't players, the best ones, carry big wallets.
Quote: aceofhearts

If your paranoid with peer pressure about being a wrong way player then do the same on the Pass Line you wont lose much, but you'll feel good about yourself.

You won't lose much if you take no odds.
The more odds you take on the pass line the higher the volatility and the larger the bankroll swings.
Most pass line bettors do not enjoy the larger bankroll swings to the negative side. Can't blame them.
7 winner chicken dinner!
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
December 25th, 2010 at 3:15:43 PM permalink
Quote: 7winner

Most pass line bettors do not enjoy the larger bankroll swings to the negative side. Can't blame them.

Instead, they stand and watch their bankroll eaten away drip by drip.
7winner
7winner
December 25th, 2010 at 3:22:59 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

It is amazing how bad the advice is from players and dealers at the craps table. I hear stuff every single time that makes my head spin!! I will only offer advice based on the odds of the game and tell people (that ask me; no unsolicited advice) that everyone fins their own way to play. I don't mind hearing about "how you always win" as I watch you lose; I just want an honest assessment of the odds you are playing against...

Ever so true.
Actually when I dealt Dice, we were told to keep the betting advice to the pass line. It was an easy bet to make and to explain.
Now a days dealers seem to have control over what they can tell the new players. You see field bets, hardway bets, yo bets...yuck

Quote: RonC

It sounds like you are one of the great dealers who makes the game enjoyable...those ALWAYS get tips from me whatever my bets are. Their service is what gets them the tip; not my risky betting patterns!! I tip early and often when the dealers help me have a great time.

Thank you for the kind (and possibly true) words.

Craps dealers can really make the difference for the "entertainment" value, both good and bad, sad to say.
The newer generation of Craps dealers, since the 90s, do not even compare to us "old timers" as a group. But I think you can see my bias.
In my later years I would comment to other craps dealers about their poor service and they would say something like, "Shut up old man" (that part is true),
players do not tip I give no service. When the box would hear a comment like that they would just shrug their shoulders and look the other way.

Good service is a dying art sad to say.
7 winner chicken dinner!
7winner
7winner
December 25th, 2010 at 3:32:10 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Instead, they stand and watch their bankroll eaten away drip by drip.

Nope.
Nope.
Very few pass line bettors take full odds, 2x, 3x, whatever because it increases their chances of losing more money and most can not stomach that.

I have almost 40 year net profit from playing craps. It is only above $3000, all from pass with no odds, and I take that money with me to my grave, unless someone wants it really bad. You can read more in my blog.

In the short and long run pass line bettors run circles around the non-contract style craps player. When they win they win more and when they lose they lose less, comparing apples to apples that is. (meaning $10 action vs. $10 action)
Theoretical and empirical data verify my crazy statement.

My last craps win was at the Golden Nugget 2 months ago was a 7 winner for $10.
7 winner chicken dinner!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1426
December 25th, 2010 at 4:40:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I was speaking with sarcastic irony, I assumed Martin could provide 10 examples or he wouldn't have made a claim of such malice so cavalierly. I obviously spoke in haste and withdraw the statement, my assessment of the situation was flawed. My sincerest apologies to all involved.

Thank you. It came off like you were enthusiastically agreeing with the insult. Apology accepted, from me at least. No response necessary.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: