BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
December 30th, 2019 at 3:29:01 AM permalink
I know that many choose a sober head during the game. Nevertheless, drinking is free in many casinos and therefore many use it. What is your attitude to this?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5645
Joined: May 23, 2016
Thanked by
BigDad
December 30th, 2019 at 8:01:32 AM permalink
I drink, but if it starts hitting me too hard I'll stop. I don't want to make any stupid decisions because I'm drunk. Sometimes I'll have a session where I won't drink at all, though. Just have water and coffee or something.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
BigDad
December 30th, 2019 at 9:20:18 AM permalink
In my own personal experience, drinking in casinos is definitely minus EV. It just doesn't work for me. Others mileage may vary.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 450
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Thanked by
BigDad
December 30th, 2019 at 9:35:27 AM permalink
Depends on the game. Craps Iíll drink pretty heavily. Iím only betting PL/come + odds. Nothing to think about and nothing I could do wrong strategically. I wonít get blacked out drunk but Iíll certainly drink more than if Iím playing VP or PGT. I trust myself not to do anything foolish. Poker Iíll never drink alcohol.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2706
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
Thanked by
BigDad
December 30th, 2019 at 11:21:00 AM permalink
Booze
Itís all about making that GTA
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3624
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
Thanked by
BigDad
December 30th, 2019 at 11:22:19 AM permalink
Usually sober, sometimes neither. Definitely no booze.
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 536
Joined: Jan 23, 2015
Thanked by
BigDad
December 30th, 2019 at 2:30:34 PM permalink
It varies. More often than not, I play sober, but a beer or a rum and coke or two can be nice. I generally drink so much caffeine from the free pop that I don't want to put anything else inside me!
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 2nd, 2020 at 5:47:07 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

It varies. More often than not, I play sober, but a beer or a rum and coke or two can be nice. I generally drink so much caffeine from the free pop that I don't want to put anything else inside me!



Take pity on your heart and stomach - don't drink a lot of caffeine..
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 2nd, 2020 at 5:48:57 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

In my own personal experience, drinking in casinos is definitely minus EV. It just doesn't work for me. Others mileage may vary.



It also seems to me that drinking in a casino works only for casino itself. But I am also sinful and sometimes I drink for the mood..
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 2nd, 2020 at 5:52:11 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I drink, but if it starts hitting me too hard I'll stop. I don't want to make any stupid decisions because I'm drunk. Sometimes I'll have a session where I won't drink at all, though. Just have water and coffee or something.



The same thing happens to me. When I see that my friend and I get into a courage then I stop us with a drink.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 7542
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
January 2nd, 2020 at 7:19:56 AM permalink
Quote: BigDad

Take pity on your heart and stomach - don't drink a lot of caffeine..


I've found that green tea gives a little caffeine, a little theophylline (which is basically the same thing), and no ill after effects, especially if taken in moderation.
Last edited by: MDawg on Jan 2, 2020
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 536
Joined: Jan 23, 2015
January 2nd, 2020 at 7:53:53 AM permalink
I think a little caffeine is probably ok, maybe even beneficial. Moderation as with all things.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2973
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
January 2nd, 2020 at 8:18:53 AM permalink
I used to do booze. Then I did coffee. These days I prefer to nurse a beer. The trouble is I'm getting up there in the years so I'll have to use the facilities every hour. Of course, stopping every hour to reevaluate your situation isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
January 2nd, 2020 at 9:30:12 AM permalink
I take at least two bathroom breaks an hour when playing BJ. Less hands on bad counts.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 10th, 2020 at 6:47:48 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I've found that green tea gives a little caffeine, a little theophylline (which is basically the same thing), and no ill after effects, especially if taken in moderation.



Green tea is a good choice in reasonable quantities. Agree with you.
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 10th, 2020 at 6:52:13 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I used to do booze. Then I did coffee. These days I prefer to nurse a beer. The trouble is I'm getting up there in the years so I'll have to use the facilities every hour. Of course, stopping every hour to reevaluate your situation isn't necessarily a bad thing.



I think it all depends on the mood and your choice is clear to me too. I do the same scheme - drink, then coffee.
jpmurga
jpmurga
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 33
Joined: Aug 10, 2014
January 10th, 2020 at 11:50:13 AM permalink
I normally don't drink, I go very often to Casinos so I take it as second job or second home. If im in a mood and with other people in the table invite me to drink I do normally no more than a couple of drinks,
My view is that drinks are free for you to get drunk or at least impaired, but I think you can take advantage to it depending on your real tolerance
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 26th, 2020 at 8:22:24 AM permalink
Quote: jpmurga

I normally don't drink, I go very often to Casinos so I take it as second job or second home. If im in a mood and with other people in the table invite me to drink I do normally no more than a couple of drinks,
My view is that drinks are free for you to get drunk or at least impaired, but I think you can take advantage to it depending on your real tolerance



I agree with you. A lot depends on the company and mood. and of course the main point is self-control
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
January 26th, 2020 at 9:23:02 AM permalink
Eat, Drink and be Merry ...
but not falling-down drunk.

In my present medical condition one beer will put me under the table, so I don't drink at all.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 91
  • Posts: 1378
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
January 26th, 2020 at 12:09:15 PM permalink
When I saw "during the game" I thought the topic was about drinking or sobriety during "the Big Game" (aka the Super Bowl) because of all the football-related advertising around now.

At casino bars, I like trying different kinds of whiskies that are comped while I play video pokeróa key benefit of casinos that can't be found anywhere else!

I generally don't drink during blackjack, but I do during other table games where strategy might not make that big a difference. It's part of the casino fun!
ApellesPromptov
ApellesPromptov
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 19, 2019
January 26th, 2020 at 1:06:47 PM permalink
Depends. If I'm hitting slots then I definitely drink. If I am at the table I can't even drink water haha
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
January 26th, 2020 at 8:57:00 PM permalink
I don't like drinking because if I do, I'm afraid to leave when I want and go to another casino. Too expensive free alcohol.
I am a robot.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
January 27th, 2020 at 7:51:07 AM permalink
Free drinks are probably half the reason I gamble at all.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 31st, 2020 at 12:44:10 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Eat, Drink and be Merry ...
but not falling-down drunk.

In my present medical condition one beer will put me under the table, so I don't drink at all.



Being always sober is good for health for sure. What happened to you?
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 31st, 2020 at 12:49:40 PM permalink
Quote: ApellesPromptov

Depends. If I'm hitting slots then I definitely drink. If I am at the table I can't even drink water haha



This is very interesting. Tell us more about your table game: why don't you drink even water? so tense?
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
January 31st, 2020 at 12:51:21 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Too expensive free alcohol.



I like this quote so much! This is so true.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 963
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
January 31st, 2020 at 1:46:29 PM permalink
NEVER when I know I have to ride. Part of the reason I live right across the street from a major casino, so I can take advantage of the free drinks and all I have to do is walk home. I domt have to play to get free drinks so thats a nice option.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
February 1st, 2020 at 1:24:22 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Free drinks are probably half the reason I gamble at all.



This is basically me.
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
February 2nd, 2020 at 8:08:28 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Free drinks are probably half the reason I gamble at all.



And you're not alone with that :-)
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
February 2nd, 2020 at 8:10:05 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

NEVER when I know I have to ride. Part of the reason I live right across the street from a major casino, so I can take advantage of the free drinks and all I have to do is walk home. I domt have to play to get free drinks so thats a nice option.



This is pure luck! What casino is opposite you?
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 963
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
February 2nd, 2020 at 5:07:59 PM permalink
Quote: BigDad

This is pure luck! What casino is opposite you?



Nugget, 2 minute walk door to door
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 91
  • Posts: 1378
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
February 3rd, 2020 at 1:09:28 PM permalink
Hey Vegasrider,

Did you see my note in my trip report about comped drinks at the Nugget?

The bartender puts a receipt in the glass behind the video poker machine after I order my drink. After he brings the drink, and I've been playing video poker, he replaces the receipt with one that says my whiskey was comped at $4.00.

So, if I just walked up to the bar and ordered a drink, would it cost me only $4?

I remember being at Harrah's Lake Tahoe when a group walked up and bought four glasses of wine at $8 or $9 each. Seems about right, so a $4 whiskey seems incredibly cheap! I've paid $12-$16 for a pour at other establishments!
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 963
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
Thanked by
smoothgrh
February 3rd, 2020 at 1:28:24 PM permalink
@SmoothGRH, If I drink, I just order from one of the cocktail waitresses whether I'm gambling or not, They all know me so I can get a drink anytime. Or I can just walk into the VIP lounge and order a drink. And it only took me 3 weeks to achieve their highest player rewards level when they give you one full year to achieve it. As far as the $4 whiskey, sounds about right. Its even less at the Western Village. They use to have $1 bottles of beer but finally raised it to$1.50. Of course if you go to the Grand Sierra or Atlantis, the booze will probably cost you more. And unlike Vegas, if you play the machine, you only have to be betting like .50 a hand to get comped. May vary from casino to casino but I think Reno is still gambler friendly unlike Vegas. And a very easy airport to fly in and out of. You can pick up your rental car and bags and be out the door in 15 minutes. And you can show up for your flight 30 minutes prior to departure, and still make your flight assuming you have TSA precheck. PM me next time you visit.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
February 4th, 2020 at 1:17:05 AM permalink
Quote: fleastiff

In my present medical condition, one beer will put me under the table,
so i don't drink at all.

Quote: BigDad

Being always sober is good for health for sure. What happened to you?

I trusted my Primary Care Physician, wound up in the ER where I overheard one doctor ask another "How is this guy still alive?" and after months of Rehab Hell had to learn to walk and read all over again. I still walk with a stroller to avoid sudden vertigo and if anyone asks "have I had my morning coffee" I can't remember the answer but can go the sink and figure out the answer.
Last edited by: FleaStiff on Feb 4, 2020
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
Thanked by
smoothgrh
February 4th, 2020 at 2:02:22 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Hey Vegasrider,

Did you see my note in my trip report about comped drinks at the Nugget?

The bartender puts a receipt in the glass behind the video poker machine after I order my drink. After he brings the drink, and I've been playing video poker, he replaces the receipt with one that says my whiskey was comped at $4.00.

So, if I just walked up to the bar and ordered a drink, would it cost me only $4?

I remember being at Harrah's Lake Tahoe when a group walked up and bought four glasses of wine at $8 or $9 each. Seems about right, so a $4 whiskey seems incredibly cheap! I've paid $12-$16 for a pour at other establishments!



No. That's likely the amount golden nugget uses for their comped drink bookkeeping. When it used to be TAG sports bar at Linq, I think they used about 40% of retail on comped receipts.

Edit: just saw you meant Reno, so there is a chance it really was that price...
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 20, 2019
February 7th, 2020 at 3:17:19 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I trusted my Primary Care Physician, wound up in the ER where I overheard one doctor ask another "How is this guy still alive?" and after months of Rehab Hell had to learn to walk and read all over again. I still walk with a stroller to avoid sudden vertigo and if anyone asks "have I had my morning coffee" I can't remember the answer but can go the sink and figure out the answer.



Oh God, understand now. Take care!
bigboy
bigboy
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 14
Joined: Jul 23, 2020
February 1st, 2021 at 7:54:13 PM permalink
i usually go to the casino at most every few months so i like to do it up and have some drinks. its a social thing so the booze really helps dealing with fellow degens
"bet with your head, not over it!"- Furio Giunta
  • Jump to: