Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 2009
December 4th, 2017 at 10:15:40 AM permalink
Seems like dealer will not qualify as often.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
December 4th, 2017 at 10:44:33 AM permalink
I wonder how this game would be received in live Texas Holdem poker where you MUST play the 2 dealt hole cards and 3 of the 5 community cards.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14234
December 4th, 2017 at 11:07:44 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Seems like dealer will not qualify as often.



Probably true as to flushes and straights. Which would, itself, raise the HE considerably. Definitely the blind bets on those hands and especially full houses should pay more.

But those rules would significantly affect optimal strategy as well. 4 to a straight or (especially) flush on the board would mean very little when both hole cards must fit; the dealer would have to luck box into many more hands. Kickers normally evaluated after flop or river might be auto 4x bets, such as any king or queen. You would definitely fold different hands, I think probably many more than you would change to a 1x stay.

I'm going to SWAG the HE between 7-8%, and the EOR around 3%. Yuck.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 5552
December 4th, 2017 at 12:22:33 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

...I'm going to SWAG the HE between 7-8%, and the EOR around 3%. Yuck.

If they have the 'exact' same pay table as a regular UTH game, I'm going to figure the HE is at about or over 10%. Player flushes/straights will be slimmed down, a lot, as well as the dealer not qualifying a lot more often to push the Ante bet more.

Either way... you still said it correctly... yuck.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1418
  • Posts: 24200
Thanks for this post from:
Romes
December 4th, 2017 at 4:42:41 PM permalink
I've made changes to my Ultimate Texas Hold 'Em program for the New Zealand rules. It takes about a week of computer time to cycle through all the combinations. So please be patient on my results.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
December 4th, 2017 at 6:56:44 PM permalink
Dealer is still going to qualify just as often with a pair.

It seems like you would want the dealer to qualify less often with a straight, flush, etc. So wouldn't that be in your favor -- at least in the aspect of dealer qualifying? Of course the blind not paying as often would hurt you.

But I don't think the HE will be as high as y'all say, assuming you're using an appropriate strategy.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6272
December 4th, 2017 at 7:26:11 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Dealer is still going to qualify just as often with a pair.

It seems like you would want the dealer to qualify less often with a straight, flush, etc. So wouldn't that be in your favor -- at least in the aspect of dealer qualifying? Of course the blind not paying as often would hurt you.

But I don't think the HE will be as high as y'all say, assuming you're using an appropriate strategy.



What about pairs on board?

Board 44K 7 2

Dealer: 95

US rules: Ante doesn't push
NZ rules: Ante pushes


This is a big rule change for the house. The rule change from the blind payout of the Royal Flush alone adds 0.77% of an Ante to the house edge as you will be awarded the 500 to 1 payout half as often because you need both hole cards to make the Royal.

I expect it to be well over 10% of an Ante.
Last edited by: tringlomane on Dec 5, 2017
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1418
  • Posts: 24200
December 4th, 2017 at 7:27:33 PM permalink
Here are my combinations in this game, where the player must use both of his hole cards and any three of five community cards.

Hand Combinations Probability
Royal flush 43240 0.000015
Straight flush 379224 0.000135
Four of a kind 4047264 0.001441
Full house 35914320 0.012783
Flush 41883800 0.014908
Straight 79953072 0.028458
Three of a kind 174387528 0.062071
Two pair 578732040 0.205993
One pair 1357655832 0.483242
Trash 536479440 0.190954
Total 2809475760 1.000000


Can anyone confirm or deny?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 2009
December 4th, 2017 at 7:36:58 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

What about pairs on board?

Board 44K 7 2

Dealer: 95

US rules: Ante doesn't push
NZ rules: Ante pushes

This is a big rule change for the house. The rule change from the blind payout of the Royal Flush alone adds 0.77% of an Ante to the house edge as you will be awarded the 500 to 1 payout half as often because you need both hole cards to make the Royal.

I expect it to be well over 10% of an Ante.


Why wouldn't the pair on board qualify,dealer would still be using both his cards?
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
December 4th, 2017 at 7:46:31 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

What about pairs on board?

Board 44K 7 2

Dealer: 95

US rules: Ante doesn't push
NZ rules: Ante pushes

This is a big rule change for the house. The rule change from the blind payout of the Royal Flush alone adds 0.77% of an Ante to the house edge as you will be awarded the 500 to 1 payout half as often because you need both hole cards to make the Royal.

I expect it to be well over 10% of an Ante.



Dealer would play 9,5,4,4,K

  • Jump to: