etablegames
etablegames
  • Threads: 15
October 1st, 2017 at 3:23:03 PM permalink
I am posting this ad with WOO's permission.

I am looking for a programmer to write a simple PC application (could even be a web application) with a text-based UI. This application will read a JPG file from an external USB, write a newly computed number onto the JPG file and output the new JPG file to one or more new USB's. The application should also generates a couple of auxiliary filed for tracking and error checking.

IMO, it would be a simple program which can be coded in any language of your choice. I am looking for someone to complete the job quickly. If interested, please PM me with your background, quote, questions, and etc. Thank you.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 2nd, 2017 at 6:04:02 AM permalink
My PC hardware knowledge, especially with the "newer stuff," is a little lacking, but what is meant by "input from an external USB"? Do you mean, input a JPG from, say, a thumb drive connected to a USB, or is it a dedicated device of some sort?

A USB is not like a serial port; the PC has to know what to send it to. This is why pretty much every USB-connected device has its own driver. (Don't remind me - both my laser printer and my police scanner seem to give my PC fits when trying to get the drivers to work.)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 2nd, 2017 at 6:57:21 AM permalink
Quote: etablegames

I am looking for a programmer to write a simple PC application (could even be a web application) with a text-based UI. This application will read a JPG file from an external USB, write a newly computed number onto the JPG file and output the new JPG file to one or more new USB's. The application should also generates a couple of auxiliary filed for tracking and error checking.

IMO, it would be a simple program which can be coded in any language of your choice. I am looking for someone to complete the job quickly. If interested, please PM me with your background, quote, questions, and etc. Thank you.

Hi,
What constraints are you placing on the application? Is it to be something that one person runs on a machine of known specification, where you just feed it usb sticks as a known drive letter and say, hit a key to write the file to that drive.. Or is it to be something that is user friendly and 'idiot proof' that some unfamiliar end user might need to use.
Writing out modified jpg format files programatically is not the simplest of tasks. If I were to do it, I would probably use an interaction between vba in excel and an imaging application such as paint.net. How would that sound?

I could lash something together if you can live with that sort of structure. But I'm not doing your homework for free. What do you anticipate paying for this software?

I can do this sort of mash-up. You might want to contact me by private message,
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
etablegames
etablegames
October 2nd, 2017 at 9:46:44 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

My PC hardware knowledge, especially with the "newer stuff," is a little lacking, but what is meant by "input from an external USB"? Do you mean, input a JPG from, say, a thumb drive connected to a USB, or is it a dedicated device of some sort?

A USB is not like a serial port; the PC has to know what to send it to. This is why pretty much every USB-connected device has its own driver. (Don't remind me - both my laser printer and my police scanner seem to give my PC fits when trying to get the drivers to work.)

I used the terms loosely whereby USB = thumb drive. "input from an external USB = the application reads an input file stored in a USB (thumb drive) by default"
UCivan
UCivan
  • Threads: 84
October 2nd, 2017 at 9:56:45 AM permalink
Good luck.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 2nd, 2017 at 12:06:11 PM permalink

I used the terms loosely whereby USB = thumb drive. "input from an external USB = the application reads an input file stored in a USB (thumb drive) by default"

In that case, it seems easy enough for a PC (as in "not Apple") app; the .NET platform has a way of doing this.

If OnceDear can't do it, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out.
etablegames
etablegames
October 2nd, 2017 at 12:09:00 PM permalink
Please PM me your email address, so we could discuss the business side of the task.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 2nd, 2017 at 2:01:25 PM permalink

Just for sh1ts and giggles, I have done the following all with Excel 2010:-

Created a workbook.
Pasted an image into it. The image was fixed for the purpose of this exercise, but could be loaded programmatically.
Created a tiny teeny vba subroutine that overprinted that image with a random number and then exported that image ( and overlayed number ) to a jpg file.

Text size and font could be anything.

All dead easy, when I remembered how I'd done it before.
Clearly, file names and destinations etc would not matter and could be USB or anything.
Export process was click of a button on a worksheet, but could be in a loop or whatever.

So, there it is. The bare bones of the task. Want to see it eTableGames? Send me your email address?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
etablegames
etablegames
October 14th, 2017 at 1:31:39 PM permalink
I wish to thank WOO, our member "gamerfreak" and the FORUM, for helping with my project in a short period of time.

WOO allowed me to post this help wanted ad here, and gamerfreak took on the programming work.

Gamerfreak is an excellent programmer and a good communicator. He is talented, delivers on time and on the money. He truly believed in customer services, went beyond typically supports, even though this was a "high-tech" project. I would recommend him for any of your computer software projects without any reservations. Thank you.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
October 14th, 2017 at 6:56:21 PM permalink

I wish to thank WOO, our member "gamerfreak" and the FORUM, for helping with my project in a short period of time.

WOO allowed me to post this help wanted ad here, and gamerfreak took on the programming work.

Gamerfreak is an excellent programmer and a good communicator. He is talented, delivers on time and on the money. He truly believed in customer services, went beyond typically supports, even though this was a "high-tech" project. I would recommend him for any of your computer software projects without any reservations. Thank you.

Thanks! Hope to work with you again soon.
  • Jump to: