Poll

No votes (0%)
14 votes (50%)
4 votes (14.28%)
1 vote (3.57%)
2 votes (7.14%)
1 vote (3.57%)
6 votes (21.42%)

28 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26680
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 9:39:29 AM permalink
This post concerns the following magic trick by David Blaine.



This trick may not have much magical integrity but it is worth the 1:47 of your time for the girl in the pink blouse.

The question for the forum is how do you think he does it? Let me elaborate on the choices a bit:

This trick is legitimate: Blaine could repeat this trick anywhere anytime.
Trial and error: He kept doing it until it worked, perhaps editing out some losing spins.
Audience plants: Those girls were actresses who made the "prediction" after the spins and they put the prediction first in the editing room.
Betting system: Blaine knows a winning betting system and for $99 I'll tell it to you too.
Other: He did it another way, which I shall explain.
I know the secret and won't tell: A good magician never reveals the secret.
I believe that Dennis Kucinich saw a UFO: Rep. Dennis Kucinich Acknowledges UFO Sighting.

The probability of this trick working by blind luck is (18/38)^5 = 2.38%, or 1 in 41.9.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 10:00:12 AM permalink
He kept doing it until it worked. Probably a couple dozen times he lost $100, big deal. The one time it works, "They have a great story," and he has his bit for his TV show.
A falling knife has no handle.
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 221
Joined: Oct 6, 2012
February 24th, 2015 at 10:56:25 AM permalink
If it's trial and error wouldn't that be an awful lot of work in front of a LOT of people? Wouldn't do much for his rep.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1034
Joined: Mar 12, 2012
February 24th, 2015 at 11:20:53 AM permalink
Hmm I'm less interested in how he did it. Than in where/when/how it happened. I have a couple of issues. One you never see the ball spin or drop. The dealer just announces winners, there don't appear to be other players or any other action on the table they are filming. The whole thing could just be a nice piece of reality TV. In other words not much real about it.

Two, what casino just lets this guy and a couple of hotties into the casino and start filming an active roulette table in the middle of a busy casino? Not buying it. They would have needed, camera people, lights and sound, makeup etc. No way this just "happened". So the whole thing is just some set up. Like all magic. Who cares. Still it's fun to watch I guess. I feel sorry for the people who are now going to try this in the casino for real.

edit: Ok upon further review I see another girl at the end of the table who may or may not be placing a wager. Can't tell for sure. Still no one notices this is being filmed or seems to care? There is one other guy leaning against the post. But no other onlookers. I smell set-up.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1427
Joined: Jul 19, 2011
February 24th, 2015 at 11:29:57 AM permalink
Furthermore, if he could multiply his money by 32 on command with 5 quick spins of the roulette wheel, he might quit the whole magic thing and make that his profession
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29014
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 11:45:53 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Hmm I'm less interested in how he did it. Than in where/when/how it happened. I have a couple of issues. One you never see the ball spin or drop. .



You also never see any numbers on the
tote board, it's flashing all the time. It's
a set up, it's not even magic. It's all
pretend for the camera.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3819
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 11:45:56 AM permalink
Quote: pew

If it's trial and error wouldn't that be an awful lot of work in front of a LOT of people? Wouldn't do much for his rep.



He has a lower than average "rep" in the business. Many if not most of his street magic tricks are filmed over and over again with different people and only the ones that succeed are shown on tv. If you watch magicians like on the show "Fool Us" with Penn and Teller, these are talented sleight of hand and manipulating magicians. Blain is a tv magician and stunt guy.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 11:49:01 AM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

He has a lower than average "rep" in the business. Many if not most of his street magic tricks are filmed over and over again with different people and only the ones that succeed are shown on tv. If you watch magicians like on the show "Fool Us" with Penn and Teller, these are talented sleight of hand and manipulating magicians. Blain is a tv magician and stunt guy.


ZCore13



Fool Us is an awesome show.
A falling knife has no handle.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 1739
Joined: Oct 21, 2011
February 24th, 2015 at 11:51:46 AM permalink
Because the video isn't presented in one continuous cut, I vote for audience plants / video editing manipulation. This also would be faster and potentially much less expensive than trial and error.

I can't think of anything David Blaine has done that's impressed me, and this trick doesn't change that.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
  • Posts: 7287
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 12:15:25 PM permalink
I suspect that putting up enough money is all that's required to get the casino to let you film in their establishment.

I also suspect that if Ahigh were to loan me the use of his craps table (I'm far too cheap to pay "enough" money to a casino), then I could make a video of someone rolling 18 yo-elevens in a row. And I could even make that happen on the very first 18 rolls that appear on my video. Would that make me a big-time magician?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 12:15:37 PM permalink
I don't know how Blaine does it, but if it was up to me, this is how I would do it:

Hire the two actresses to play the part of "random" folks off the street. But you can actually use real bystanders.
Let them know that no matter the outcome, they will split the winnings and should cheer everytime since they are guaranteed to be winners.
Start each of them with $100. One will bet red, the other black.
Spin two, place two $200 bets, one red, one black... continue
Spin three, place two $400 bets
Spin four, place two $800 bets
Spin five , place two $1600 bets

Ask the girls to recap the sequence of winning spins

Re-cut the scene so that the recap appears to be the lead in. Add a graphic later to give the appearance of a prediction, rather than a re-cap.

Barring a green, this illusion only costs $3,100 in cash to produce.

I note the past spins posted on the display. Do they match the action? Also, there is a TV playing in the background. Does it match the presented timeline?

The NGC is very particular about "real" games being played according to the rules, and how do you get everyone in a random casino to sign off on their image being used on a TV show? I suspect a set up, but I have been in casinos with signs posted that filiming was in progress, and by continuing past the signs, you were giving up your rights to your image being used, so you never know.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 12:22:35 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

...I can't think of anything David Blaine has done that's impressed me, and this trick doesn't change that.



He sat in a block of ice for a couple of days. I thought that was impressive.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29014
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 12:27:05 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba



I note the past spins posted on the display. .



No you don't. Watch it again, at no time
is a single number on the display. This
would give it away that the trick was
done out of sequence.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
  • Posts: 2501
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 12:44:55 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I suspect that putting up enough money is all that's required to get the casino to let you film in their establishment.

I also suspect that if Ahigh were to loan me the use of his craps table (I'm far too cheap to pay "enough" money to a casino), then I could make a video of someone rolling 18 yo-elevens in a row. And I could even make that happen on the very first 18 rolls that appear on my video. Would that make me a big-time magician?



18s already been done. You would have to do 19 or 20 to make it interesting.......
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 1:05:54 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

No you don't. Watch it again, at no time
is a single number on the display. This
would give it away that the trick was
done out of sequence.

So the answer is, no.

Can anyone tell from the decor, uniforms, or carpet, where this is actually taped?

I note that the croupier taps Blaine's hands before Blaine touches a bet that he hasn't paid yet, so the action seems legit. However, I note that Blaine appears to be placing cash and non-roulette chips on the table between bets. The croupier is paying in yellow roulette chips.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
  • Posts: 1582
Joined: Feb 5, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 1:07:12 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Barring a green, this illusion only costs $3,100 in cash to produce.



Barring a green, don't you break even if you bet both sides of the proposition?
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26680
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 1:12:41 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I don't know how Blaine does it, but if it was up to me, this is how I would do it:

Hire the two actresses to play the part of "random" folks off the street. But you can actually use real bystanders.
Let them know that no matter the outcome, they will split the winnings and should cheer everytime since they are guaranteed to be winners.
Start each of them with $100. One will bet red, the other black.
Spin two, place two $200 bets, one red, one black... continue
Spin three, place two $400 bets
Spin four, place two $800 bets
Spin five , place two $1600 bets

Ask the girls to recap the sequence of winning spins

Re-cut the scene so that the recap appears to be the lead in. Add a graphic later to give the appearance of a prediction, rather than a re-cap.

Barring a green, this illusion only costs $3,100 in cash to produce.

I note the past spins posted on the display. Do they match the action? Also, there is a TV playing in the background. Does it match the presented timeline?



Very good post. I don't think Blaine is patient enough to wait an expected 42 attempts to get it right. More on this below.

Quote:

The NGC is very particular about "real" games being played according to the rules, and how do you get everyone in a random casino to sign off on their image being used on a TV show? I suspect a set up, but I have been in casinos with signs posted that filiming was in progress, and by continuing past the signs, you were giving up your rights to your image being used, so you never know.



I've done a lot of documentaries in casinos and they usually put up signs warning that you're entering a scene to be used for television and by walking past you consent to being on the show.

Back to the trick. I think this levitation trick tells us something about Blaine's MO:



This is a trick I know how to do so can speak with some authority on it. Except for when you see Blaine actually rise off the ground, at the 1:30 and 3:30 points, he is doing what is known as the Balducci levitation. It is using angles to hide a foot that is still on the ground to make it look like he is rising an inch or two off the ground. This trick is hard to pull off right as you need to have the angles and position just right. I've done this trick in China several times and people, especially women, absolutely go nuts. It is a lot harder to pull off in the US because Americans, especially men, are so dang skeptical and are trying too hard to figure out the secret rather than enjoy the entertainment. I must admit, when I go to a magic show, I'm trying to figure out the tricks too.

Notice how you never see him rising, except at the 1:30 and 3:30 points. I'm 99.54% sure he is doing the Balducci and getting legitimate responses from the audience. However, they don't show him actually doing it because it wouldn't look very impressive on camera.

Now, what I suspect he is doing is after he captured a good response doing the Balducci he waited for them to leave, got actors to dress up in the same kind of clothes, and then got a crane and wires to actually lift him about a foot off the ground. The actors are seen only from the back so you can't tell it isn't the original audience. So the audience is not reacting to what you see in the video but a much easier levitation.

This same kind of creative editing I think is going on with the roulette trick, as Aye said.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 1:15:38 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

Barring a green, don't you break even if you bet both sides of the proposition?

True, but you promised to pay the "helpers".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3819
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 1:18:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Fool Us is an awesome show.



Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" show was great too. Penn and Teller are great entertainment and have not lost a step over the years and years they've been doing this.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9644
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 1:23:20 PM permalink
I despise magic on TV

what little of it I have seen can easily be explained away, yet there is no attempt [as here again] to verify that obvious methods that any non-magician would instantly think of were not used.

now real magicians live, wow, cool stuff. I can get quite amazed by any professional, even with what must be the less talented.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
February 24th, 2015 at 1:38:16 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I despise magic on TV

what little of it I have seen can easily be explained away, yet there is no attempt [as here again] to verify that obvious methods that any non-magician would instantly think of were not used.

now real magicians live, wow, cool stuff. I can get quite amazed by any professional, even with what must be the less talented.

+1
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29014
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 1:56:18 PM permalink
The whole thing is a con. They aren't using
real casino chips, the casino would never
allow that. They never show the ball
falling into the wheel or the numbers on
the tote board.

Everybody we see at the table is part of
the trick. The dealer, the girls, all of
them. Behind the girls at a BJ table, the
dealer never changes and the bald guy
in the white shirt never changes. This
was done in a very short time with
everybody playing their parts. They were
paid and I bet it didn't take more than
20 min.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1034
Joined: Mar 12, 2012
February 24th, 2015 at 2:01:39 PM permalink
After watching it for a third time...I'm even more convinced it's just made for TV nonsense. The tote board that displays the numbers, never shows any numbers coming up. At all. It's in some kind of demo mode or something. Like when the table is closed. BS.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 2972
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
February 24th, 2015 at 2:08:31 PM permalink
I don't know how many of you have heard of Derren Brown but he had a great [TV] show where he showed someone having been given six consecutive winners of horse races. You get to see them arrive at the race track, having been given four correct winners and how he tells them the fifth winner. After the last race he gives them a winning ticket.

You can see the details here http://aboutderrenbrown.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/secret-of-derren-browns-system-friendly.html and at the end of the program he says how he did it. He also, uncut, showed how he tossed ten consecutive heads (or was it tails) using the same idea.

All the horse races chosen had six runners, So he started with an initial 7776 people - so he sent them all an e-mail with his selection, chosing 1/6th for each horse. He continued this process (1296, 216, 36, 6) until he had six people and then brought each of them, independently, to a race track. He filmed all six, separately, giving them one horse. Only the winning person's one is shown before the reveal and there's skullduggery/sleight of hand on the next race to rig a winning ticket.
He then, from the start, explains how he did it.

As to the coin tossing he admits that he tossed a coin all day until he got ten in a row, and that's the only bit you see.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 1739
Joined: Oct 21, 2011
February 24th, 2015 at 2:10:23 PM permalink
Most votes so far are for "trial and error." My vote, as mentioned earlier, was for audience plants / video editing.

To me, if it WAS trial and error, then you WOULD want to show the entire demonstration in real time, with one uninterrupted/continuous take.

You WOULD want to show a roulette table that displays past numbers.

Otherwise, what's the point of doing it via trial and error?
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 4038
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 2:18:15 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

{Penn & Teller's}Fool Us is an awesome show.



Agreed ! I've seen it a couple of time just flipping through the channels. I may have to figure out when it is normally on and set the DVR. Anyone know the schedule ?
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3819
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 2:20:21 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

I don't know how many of you have heard of Derren Brown but he had a great [TV] show where he showed someone having been given six consecutive winners of horse races. You get to see them arrive at the race track, having been given four correct winners and how he tells them the fifth winner. After the last race he gives them a winning ticket.

You can see the details here http://aboutderrenbrown.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/secret-of-derren-browns-system-friendly.html and at the end of the program he says how he did it. He also, uncut, showed how he tossed ten consecutive heads (or was it tails) using the same idea.


All the horse races chosen had six runners, So he started with an initial 7776 people - so he sent them all an e-mail with his selection, chosing 1/6th for each horse. He continued this process (1296, 216, 36, 6) until he had six people and then brought each of them, independently, to a race track. He filmed all six, separately, giving them one horse. Only the winning person's one is shown before the reveal and there's skullduggery/sleight of hand on the next race to rig a winning ticket.
He then, from the start, explains how he did it.

As to the coin tossing he admits that he tossed a coin all day until he got ten in a row, and that's the only bit you see.



This is how sports betting "experts" make their money. They offer free picks every week to new members. They give half the new players a winner from a game and then the other half of players the other team. Now 50% of the weeks new players are 1-0. They do the same thing to those 1-0 players, giving them half one side of a game and the other the other side. Now 25% of the original group are 2-0. Now it's time for the close. You don't want to stop receiving winners do you?? You have to sign up now to get this weeks picks. Easy money. I've already showed you how good I am.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29014
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 2:31:46 PM permalink
Quote: vendman1

After watching it for a third time...I'm even more convinced it's just made for TV nonsense. The tote board that displays the numbers, never shows any numbers coming up. At all. It's in some kind of demo mode or something. Like when the table is closed. BS.



What it shows is what the board does
after the dealer spins. They very
carefully never show it in between
spins.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 482
Joined: Mar 22, 2013
February 24th, 2015 at 2:37:09 PM permalink
Wizard- you're correct regarding the levitation trick.

If you position your audience correctly, it will hide the front part of the foot that provides the lift. I practiced this at home and would amaze my kids when they were young. I would have them seated at the appropriate angle, so it wasn't hard to pull off.

And, yes the levitation they show on camera isn't what the audience saw.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29014
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 2:40:59 PM permalink
The chips are totally wrong. The girl
on the end is betting yellow, which
is fine. But it looks like the two girls
with Blaine are betting green, and
there aren't enough of them to cover
a $1600 bet. They would need 64
green chips to do that, they have
maybe 20 out there. And they aren't
black, which they would be in a real
game.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29014
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 2:50:12 PM permalink
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
February 24th, 2015 at 3:16:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard




Now, what I suspect he is doing is after he captured a good response doing the Balducci he waited for them to leave, got actors to dress up in the same kind of clothes, and then got a crane and wires to actually lift him about a foot off the ground. The actors are seen only from the back so you can't tell it isn't the original audience. So the audience is not reacting to what you see in the video but a much easier levitation.

This same kind of creative editing I think is going on with the roulette trick, as Aye said.



I can confirm that this actually happens. In 2007 or 2008, I can't remember which. I was walking downtown and was approached by a Chris angel rep. They asked if we would like to watch him blow him self up in a box. They walked us down to a lot next to the plaza. They had a box all set up with tnt signs around it and we stood in a roped off area . They only had abut 30 people there. After a few minutes Chris Angel came out to say hi and when he did everyone cheered. He also worked the audience and asked people how they would react as practice. After about 40 minutes they cancelled the shoot saying it was to windy. They told everyone to come back in an hour. No more than 10 minutes later we heard a loud explosion from that area. We walked back over at the time they told us and everything was gone and there were people there telling us that the shoot was cancelled.

When the mind freak episode aired I saw the fake reactions and also everyone cheering. I did not make it on TV but I did recognize the people on the episode. It was very clear to me then that these shows are staged and not real magic. I still enjoy watching the shows and I love slight at hand like the people on fool us.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26680
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 3:35:19 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I was walking downtown and was approached by a Chris angel rep....



Thanks, G, that is an outstanding post and I hope it is read by as many people as possible.

This is nowhere near as good of a story, but the student in my gambling videos, Angela, was hired to assist somehow with a Chris Angel TV show. I don't recall all the details but she said he was very late, rude to everybody, couldn't do the trick properly, and the whole thing got scrubbed.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 4:07:12 PM permalink
Ugh, I hate TV "magic". I give credit to Blaine for his endurance feats (the block of ice, the standing on platforms), but not much else. But Criss (not "Chris") Angel bothers me to no end. His fake "magic", his lisp, his emo hair, his stupid name... what's so impressive about TV editing? Garbage. All of it =p

I saw James Galea in person. That was entertaining. Just live sleight of hand card tricks and hidden object reveals. Plus he was charming and funny. That's a good show. The rest? Bah. Let me use my GoPro and I'll show you anything you want. Gimme one of Doc's pictures and I'll make the Luxor disappear! Ooooh, ahhhh.

Phooey.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5529
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 4:13:12 PM permalink
"Blaine operates clearly with demons. This unclean spirits levitate him. There is no secret: This fallen angels operates in the spiritual sphere, but they can move sometimes in our visible sphere. Read the Bible; it's the true Word of God, but David is an medium of Lucifer."

Why wasn't this a poll option?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 54
  • Posts: 2168
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
February 24th, 2015 at 4:15:08 PM permalink
I saw the levitation trick done by the masked magician who tells you the secret. He has a slit in the front of his pant leg and his shoe is attached to his pant leg and it attaches to his other shoe with Velcro. He steps his leg out of his shoe and pant leg and the he lifts his other leg up which lifts both pant legs and shoes of the floor.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 295
Joined: Feb 28, 2011
February 24th, 2015 at 4:41:13 PM permalink
I am pretty sure Ayecarumba described it correctly.

I am a big fan of Penn Jillette and often listen to his podcast. He has talked about Fool Us and how they insisted that the performers were shown in one continuous take so the audience knows these type of shenanigans don't occur. Of course with modern video editing you could probably make the cuts undetectable but I don't think it happened there. Their top magic consultant worked with the acts and told P&T if they got it right. As it happened the best acts didn't fool P&T because they were doing standard tricks but were super skilled so still awesome to watch. The original shows came out a couple years ago in Britain and were run last year on the CW network in the US. According to Penn they are going to do a new run on CW this year.

The most entertaining act from Fool Us IMO is Piff the Magic Dragon. I was planning to go to Vegas Nocturne just to see him but it got cancelled when the Cosmo changed ownership.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
February 24th, 2015 at 5:16:06 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Ugh, I hate TV "magic". I give credit to Blaine for his endurance feats (the block of ice, the standing on platforms), but not much else. But Criss (not "Chris") Angel bothers me to no end. His fake "magic", his lisp, his emo hair, his stupid name... what's so impressive about TV editing? Garbage. All of it =p

I saw James Galea in person. That was entertaining. Just live sleight of hand card tricks and hidden object reveals. Plus he was charming and funny. That's a good show. The rest? Bah. Let me use my GoPro and I'll show you anything you want. Gimme one of Doc's pictures and I'll make the Luxor disappear! Ooooh, ahhhh.

Phooey.



damn auto correct. I do know it is Criss. When this all happened I had ZERO idea who the hell he was. About 2 days later we were on the strip and I saw one of those 10 story tall posters hanging from one of the casinos with him on it. I was shocked to see he was famous.

ETA, I just found the episode. It appears that it was in 2005. I was in Vegas for the first time in 2004 around Sept and again in 2005. I can not remember which trip this happened on. It was Season 1 Episode 13.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
February 24th, 2015 at 5:52:20 PM permalink
Quote: HowMany

Wizard- you're correct regarding the levitation trick.

If you position your audience correctly, it will hide the front part of the foot that provides the lift. I practiced this at home and would amaze my kids when they were young. I would have them seated at the appropriate angle, so it wasn't hard to pull off.

And, yes the levitation they show on camera isn't what the audience saw.



The camera shot from behind the group of girls at 3:30s... it's no where to be seen in the reverse shot taken seconds later... done at a different time.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
February 24th, 2015 at 6:04:55 PM permalink
I also think their reaction is horrible. I am pretty sure if someone walked up to me and did this then I would be doing more than a whooo.

Also, when the ball stops the dealer calls out the number but you never see the number on the board. Doesn't the board usually tell the number pretty quickly.

Lastly, wouldnt the dealer have to call out the bet when there is 1600 on an outside number?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6390
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
February 24th, 2015 at 6:15:13 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The camera shot from behind the group of girls at 3:30s... it's no where to be seen in the reverse shot taken seconds later... done at a different time.



Grrrr another show ruined for me.
I used to love watching this stuff, street magic.
Now that I know the truth.
Its unwatchable.
In some ways, ignorance is bliss when watching reality TV.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2282
Joined: Jun 13, 2014
February 24th, 2015 at 6:30:34 PM permalink
[Haven't read the other posts following the thread starter video.]

"Other" explained: Yeah right, like this dude just casually picked up those two deserving sets of previously unaccompanied luminescent cleavage in about three seconds flat... "Oh, it's your birthday!" I say there was something north of $500/hr involved in the off-camera set-up.

Or was there some other magic trick I'm supposed to diagnose?
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 221
Joined: Oct 6, 2012
February 24th, 2015 at 6:39:32 PM permalink
Doug henning RIP. Nuff said.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26680
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 7:02:18 PM permalink
Quote: pew

Doug henning RIP. Nuff said.



I haven't heard that name in decades. I recall watching him on TV as a kid and always liked his down to earth friendly style. Totally the opposite of Blaine and Angel.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3819
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
February 24th, 2015 at 8:09:22 PM permalink
Look up "Chris Angel fraud" on youtube. There's a video breaking down one of his tricks and showing exactly how he edits shots from previous moments when there is a crowd around to when the trick is actually being performed and the crowd is missing, to the crowd reaction after they miraculously re-appear. Just as described earlier in this thread about the explosion trick.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 905
Joined: Mar 12, 2011
February 25th, 2015 at 4:38:47 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

He kept doing it until it worked. Probably a couple dozen times he lost $100, big deal



Nah, he could have hedged it with a partner at the same table. This way his costs are much more predictable.
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 221
Joined: Oct 6, 2012
February 25th, 2015 at 6:07:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I haven't heard that name in decades. I recall watching him on TV as a kid and always liked his down to earth friendly style. Totally the opposite of Blaine and Angel.

I love magic. He was one of the greats and seemed to be a sweet spirit. I saw him live in a 1200 or so seat theater so he had to use a movie screen set up on stage to highlight his closeup magic. The dexterity of his hands was incredible. He did the torn newspaper trick with a piece of paper the size a a post- it. It was truly magic. Poor guy died of cancer. I think he tried to cure it with T.M. He also ran for mayor of Toronto or some other big city.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
February 25th, 2015 at 10:25:36 AM permalink
Quote: MangoJ

Nah, he could have hedged it with a partner at the same table. This way his costs are much more predictable.



Yep, sounds more reasonable.

I hate magicians whose craft is editing. All the smarts are gone out of it.
A falling knife has no handle.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 721
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
February 25th, 2015 at 4:14:27 PM permalink
Quote: pew

Doug henning RIP. Nuff said.



Oh my dear lord, the disco rainbow hippie magician. The haters will tell you that Henning's greatest trick was convincing the Canadian government to give him $4,000 to study magic. Later on, he was huge: Henning's first 1977 NBC-TV special drew a phenomenal 50 million viewers. (It was all downhill from there.) As a child, he was my hero. In fact, Henning inspired many children and no adults. But it was a different era, these days we're too jaded & cynical to appreciate a gentle eccentric mustachioed freak who dressed in sparkly jumpsuits. The 1970s had Doug Henning. We have Kourtney Kardashian.

"Anything the mind can conceive is possible. Nothing is impossible. All you have to do is look within and you can realize your fondest dreams. I would like to wish each one of you all of life's wonders and a joyful age of enlightenment." -Doug Henning





Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26680
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
February 25th, 2015 at 4:36:04 PM permalink
Those pictures really bring me back to the 70s.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: