sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
May 28th, 2013 at 11:26:15 PM permalink
Something to look out for in PG tiles, that I have seen come up more than a few times, is the dealer misplaying her hand.

One particular deal of tiles seems to create a relatively high number of misplays, and that is

teen or day
five
four
gee joon

When the dealer flips over her tiles, the first thing that catches her eye is the teen or day. She immediately looks for a 7, 8, or 9 to play with it. When she doesn't find that, two instincts begin to come into play simultaneously: 1. to balance the hand, and 2. to play the gee joon with a small tile, because gee joon is played with a small tile the great majority of the time when there is a small tile available.

The mistake here, of course, is to play the hand 7-7, which accomplishes both the balancing and the gee joon with small tile algorithms.

I have been playing PG tiles for less than a year, and yet I have seen this particular mistake occur three times, with two of them going uncorrected.

The last time I saw it, last week, I had a 9 with a pair in my hand, so I actually told the dealer to play the 8-9.

On the player's side, if you have a gee joon tile yourself, don't automatically pair it with a small tile. Double check.
  • Jump to: