Ericayne
Ericayne
  • Threads: 0
June 3rd, 2011 at 8:56:55 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

I think ... I'm *actually* starting to believe in the Mavs!

Believe!!! The Heatles didn't think Dirk could go left because of his messed up finger.
So what does Dirk do?? Drive for a left handed layup to tie the game...and again....to win the game.
Down 12 @ Portland....
Down 16 @ LA.....
Down 15 @ OKC.....
and now down 15 @ Miami.....

Road tested.....
Believe!!!
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
June 8th, 2011 at 9:06:02 AM permalink
Wow! How could the Mavs win game 4 with NO ONE playing anywhere near their best, except Chandler, maybe? The Heat even had a sixth man on their side calling fouls for Wade.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 8th, 2011 at 3:22:04 PM permalink
Quote: dm

Wow! How could the Mavs win game 4 with NO ONE playing anywhere near their best, except Chandler, maybe? The Heat even had a sixth man on their side calling fouls for Wade.

It's crazy. I'm starting to believe in them too. It's like Secretariat, always coming from way behind.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
June 13th, 2011 at 6:45:45 AM permalink

Wrong. Mavs in 6.

Woo hoo! How 'bout them Mavs?!? I didn't bet on it, and this prediction wasn't a "feeling" as much as it was, hey, we're not winning a game 7, so if we win, it will be in 6.

Anyway, not that anybody cares, but jee-ZUS, are LeBron and Wade really that dense and ego-arrogant? How can two guys have so little self-awareness? They're both unloveable Michael Scott's. What dee-bags.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 13th, 2011 at 6:51:37 AM permalink
Congrats ICS on the little mavericks winning it all. 15 years in the DFW area made them my adopted western conference team, so I am happy today.

If only my beloved Pacers could pull off such a stunt...sigh....
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 13th, 2011 at 7:18:55 AM permalink

Woo hoo! How 'bout them Mavs?!? I didn't bet on it, and this prediction wasn't a "feeling" as much as it was, hey, we're not winning a game 7, so if we win, it will be in 6.

Anyway, not that anybody cares, but jee-ZUS, are LeBron and Wade really that dense and ego-arrogant? How can two guys have so little self-awareness? They're both unloveable Michael Scott's. What dee-bags.

What did they do?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
June 13th, 2011 at 7:55:45 AM permalink
Epic Fail.
"What, me worry?"
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
June 13th, 2011 at 10:33:17 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

the little mavericks

High five to an apparent fellow P1!

Nice to see the Mavs win. The last game I had gone to before this season was Game 2 of the 2006 finals. I'm glad that that game is no longer the pinnacle of Mav's history.

Bill Simmons said he had gone large on the Mavs in 6 at +420. Not bad. I'm not a sports bettor but I like his writing and I think he broke off espn.com so he could talk up the gambling side a bit more. Are the sports bettors here usually respectful of his opinions or is he just another blowhard writer?
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
June 13th, 2011 at 5:23:13 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

High five to an apparent fellow P1!

<fart> The kids like that!
TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Threads: 0
June 14th, 2011 at 3:44:16 PM permalink
I don't think he's another blowhard writer. He definitely seems to have a love for sports gambling that can only be partially explored on a mainstream site like ESPN.com.

As a long time sports gambler, my opinions of Simmons are as follows:

1. He's pretty up front about which sports he knows well and which not as well.
2. For the sports he knows well (ex. NBA), he makes a lot of solid plays. He's also good at recognizing underdog teams that are improving as the season goes on, which keeps him ahead of the curve.
3. However, for sports he doesn't know very well (ex. college basketball), it's usually better to take anything he says with a grain of salt (or many).
4. Probably his biggest weakness (and the most common weakness of the public in sports betting) is that he overreacts to individual games. When an otherwise good team lays an egg, he wants to place that in some kind of overarching context (a common issue with sports writers) when sometimes there is no overarching context. Great teams play badly sometimes...it happens. Put it this way: if he did power rankings like most handicappers do, they'd shuffle A LOT week to week.
5. And obviously, all that goes DOUBLE for any team from Boston. To the Sports Guy, all Boston teams are either unstoppable juggernauts or fatally flawed and there's no middle ground. It's better not to put much stock in his Boston opinions.

I find him to be entertaining, and his podcasts with Cousin Sal where they guess NFL lines are not to be missed.
The Doctor: www.doctoranddude.com

• Jump to: