Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:25:10 AM permalink
By the way, UTSA is undefeated and not getting much love. They beat Big Ten team Illinois, who beat Penn State, Minnesota and Nebraska. UTSA has also beaten a good Memphis team. They are ranked below a bunch of two loss teams.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:59:59 AM permalink
Those are the teams that are tough, look at UTSA:

Illinois (4-7)
Lamar (3-8) Also, who?
Middle Tennessee (5-6)
Memphis (5-6)
UNLV (2-9)
Western Kentucky (7-4)***
Rice (3-8)
Louisiana Tech (3-8)
UTEP (7-4)
Southern Miss. (2-9)
UAB (7-4)

With that, you have them beating three teams with winning records and otherwise winning some games against absolute garbage. I'm honestly a little surprised that they're ranked as highly as they are because, honestly, what do you even do with this? This isn't like Sparty who's in the Big Ten---it's a nobody team in a second-tier Conference that plays other nobody teams. Western Kentucky, for example, only has a winning record because it has its conference mates to mostly kick around.

I don't know what you even do with a team like this, but I think we'd all agree that there's no way to make college football rankings, "Fair," I just felt like Sparty (when unbeaten) not being ranked higher than Michigan was a screwjob even under NCAAF's usual modus operandi.

***#1 Conference USA East
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:11:30 AM permalink
Agree with Mission above. Georgia is obviously number one team. If Alabama loses 38-37, to the obvious number one team, should they drop in the rankings below Cincinnati who has a schedule (mostly) loaded with cupcakes?
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:36:11 AM permalink
Cincinnati at least has the Notre Dame win.

Also, Alabama wouldn't be losing to Georgia in isolation; they also lost to Texas A&M. If we were talking about Alabama just losing to Georgia and being a one loss team, then no, they shouldn't drop below Cincinnati...but with two losses?

Don't worry, the Playoff Committee will still probably find a way to get a two-loss Alabama in there over any one loss team. I figure they'll just get both Alabama and Cincy (assuming they stay unbeaten) in there if that happens. Kind of surprised that they are even ranking Cincy above Notre Dame since having no losses and beating another specific team apparently doesn't automatically mean you should be ranked above them.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 235
mcallister3200Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:42:52 AM permalink
I would like to Cincy in the playoffs IF they go undefeated. Spice things up a bit, eh ?
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:52:48 AM permalink
Based on what they’ve done in past seasons, they will very likely move Notre Dame above an undefeated Cincy team that beat them to put them in the playoffs if Notre Dame ends up with one loss and Cincy is undefeated. Strength of schedule beats the transitive property to them. Bama WILL be in the playoffs regardless what happens in the SEC championship IMO. They should just give Bama a bye to the playoffs because they’d find an excuse to put them in if they have a season with three losses. Two loss Bama will absolutely be in above a Big 12 champion with one loss.

Missed your bet question above Soopoo about a unlikely hypothetical Bama Cincy game. I never have made a forum bet and not going to start now.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 22, 2021
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:26:48 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Based on what they’ve done in past seasons, they will very likely move Notre Dame above an undefeated Cincy team that beat them to put them in the playoffs if Notre Dame ends up with one loss and Cincy is undefeated. Bama WILL be in the playoffs regardless what happens in the SEC championship IMO. They should just give Bama a bye to the playoffs because they’d find an excuse to put them in if they have a season with three losses. Two loss Bama will absolutely be in above a Big 12 champion with one loss.

Missed your bet question above Soopoo about a unlikely hypothetical Bama Cincy game. I never have made a forum bet and not going to start now.
link to original post

Unwatchable. This thread is the most attention I've paid to College Football in at least a decade.
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 43
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:54:21 AM permalink
Just saw the new a college football poll. Despite getting spanked by Utah, Oregon only dropped to 11. While Utah is down at 16!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 235
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:20:23 AM permalink
Internet SEZ:

The fourth College Football Playoff rankings for the 2021 season will be revealed around 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 23 on ESPN
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
moses
moses
  • Threads: 9
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:43:11 AM permalink
Few would argue the 4 best teams in college football are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St. And Michigan. They play each other the next two weeks.

Cincinnati must win out which includes a showdown with Houston in the Conference championship game.

Notre Dame beats Stanford and waits for Cincy to lose.

Oklahoma State must beat Oklahoma and then Baylor in the Conference championship game.

It's going to be an interesting two weeks.

• Jump to: