Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
October 4th, 2020 at 7:14:21 AM permalink
Whether it's an NFL flat bet or a parlay, what happens when a game is cancelled because of Covid. Refund? Wait for it to be rescheduled & played? Are forfeits an option?

I'm in upstate NY and use Draft Kings & Caesars Sports. I'll be in Vegas for a few NFL weekends and was wondering if some books had better options than others for this situation.

Thank you.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 4th, 2020 at 8:12:27 AM permalink
William Hill's rules for Nevada books and Atlantic City say that a football bet stands if the game is played at its scheduled location within seven days of the originally scheduled date. Note that, for most other sports, the game has to be played on the scheduled date. (This makes sense for baseball, as otherwise a game that is rained out and rescheduled either as part of a doubleheader or played months later shouldn't have its bets stand.)
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
October 4th, 2020 at 8:20:50 AM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

Whether it's an NFL flat bet or a parlay, what happens when a game is cancelled because of Covid. Refund? Wait for it to be rescheduled & played? Are forfeits an option?

I'm in upstate NY and use Draft Kings & Caesars Sports. I'll be in Vegas for a few NFL weekends and was wondering if some books had better options than others for this situation.

Thank you.

You're going to have to check with the books personally on a case to case basis, both offshore and brick-and-mortar. Some offshores keep the game live only until the close of Monday. Some are allowing the game to be played on Monday as a live bet, others are not. In other words, a Tuesday reschedule is a no-play refund. Others restrict it to a day-of-play or it's a no-play refund.

What I suspect will happen in the next week or two is that, due to the probability of numerous additional covid diagnoses as even 48 hours pass, we will see everyone going to a day-of policy. That way they don't have to deal with massive line swings in the intervening 24-48 hours between announcement of reschedule and the game.

The fantasy components of Draft Kings and Fanduel are in day-of mode. If your players get rescheduled for the next day, you must replace them.

Frankly, this is better than CFB, which is allowing teams to hold off on covid announcements until games have kicked off, which makes betting on college football a crap shoot joke. You can't put very much on any given game, obviously, because you could have a third of the team sitting out unannounced.

I caution everyone to check individually with each book. My experience is colored by those occasions when books had different rules and massive disagreements arose in grading of events based on what seemed to be trivial different tweaks from book to book. I am reminded of being in the MGM when a small riot broke out after a Tyson fight that ended due to disqualification. Different books had different rules, and people went berserk in the sports book.

Finally, a warning. I bet reasonably large sums trying to middle games. My head has to be swiveling in all directions, because I cannot afford to have one side at a book that abides by day-of-or-refund rules and the other side adhering to different rules. I could get murdered when these cancelations are announced.

So be very careful with your money.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
  • Jump to: