1 vote (2.04%)
1 vote (2.04%)

49 members have voted

TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 14
January 25th, 2021 at 10:15:58 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

A key element you are overlooking here is that the live odds are generated as a "generic algorithm" that lacks specificity not only to the teams involved, but the nature of the game (low versus high scoring) and any weather conditions.

This is even more true for ESPN win probabilities.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 18
January 26th, 2021 at 7:35:43 PM permalink
I enjoyed the discussion about the end of game decisions for GB/TB. GB got the ball with less then 5 minutes left in the game. I remember asking myself how will GB score twice to win this game? Mostly based on how bad they looked on the 2 previous 4th quarter possessions (both 3 and outs).
----------

Not one player voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame this year. Looks like Schilling, Bonds, Clemens ain't gonna make it. Only one year left to get in and Schilling wants off the ballot.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30784823/no-one-elected-baseball-hall-fame-class-2021
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 211
January 28th, 2021 at 12:21:25 PM permalink
Anybody catch the Sixers-Lakers game yesterday on ESPN, or see the 2 flagrant fouls on sports center? The 2 fouls occured 68 seconds apart, both involving Joel Embiid, one receiving, one giving. They both occur in the fist 50 second of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbArJV3KNg

I want to start with the second. Embiid making a basketball move, raising the ball up to shoot, his elbow comes in contact with the defenders face and pretty hard. By Todays rule that is a flagrant foul (wouldn't have been 20 years ago) and was rightfully called a flagrant 1.

Now the first foul, on Embiid, by Lebron James. With Embiid, in the air, Lebron pushed his with not one but both hands, causing Embiid, to fall backwards hurting his back. This should have been a flagrant 2, and ejection. If it was any other player, it would have been called that. Lebron should have been ejected.

In defense of Lebron, the announcer said that Lebron James is not known as a dirty player. Maybe, but That was a dirty play.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 33
January 28th, 2021 at 1:56:16 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Anybody catch the Sixers-Lakers game yesterday on ESPN, or see the 2 flagrant fouls on sports center? The 2 fouls occured 68 seconds apart, both involving Joel Embiid, one receiving, one giving. They both occur in the fist 50 second of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbArJV3KNg

I want to start with the second. Embiid making a basketball move, raising the ball up to shoot, his elbow comes in contact with the defenders face and pretty hard. By Todays rule that is a flagrant foul (wouldn't have been 20 years ago) and was rightfully called a flagrant 1.

Now the first foul, on Embiid, by Lebron James. With Embiid, in the air, Lebron pushed his with not one but both hands, causing Embiid, to fall backwards hurting his back. This should have been a flagrant 2, and ejection. If it was any other player, it would have been called that. Lebron should have been ejected.

In defense of Lebron, the announcer said that Lebron James is not known as a dirty player. Maybe, but That was a dirty play.

God, these guys get the kid gloves treatment today. That first foul on Embiid -- I used to do that all the time. If there were seconds left and down two -- that's me, but after a pump fake.

Of course, that style of play explains how my top teeth were sawed in half multiple times and my nose broken a few times.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
January 28th, 2021 at 2:24:50 PM permalink
Bill Laimbeer must get on his knees daily, thankful that he was born when he was.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 211
January 28th, 2021 at 2:30:31 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

God, these guys get the kid gloves treatment today. That first foul on Embiid -- I used to do that all the time. If there were seconds left and down two -- that's me, but after a pump fake.

Of course, that style of play explains how my top teeth were sawed in half multiple times and my nose broken a few times.

Well, redietz, we are not talking about 40 years ago and different rules. By todays rules Lebron James used not one but two hands to push a player in the air causing injury and that is a flagrant 2 foul and ejection and any other player would have received that penalty.

It is even more apparent on a replay which for some reason, this clip didn't show, yet they showed 20 replays of the second foul.

Just looking at Lebron's face, you could tell he knew he was wrong, although even though Embiid was on the floor a good 4-5 minutes in obvious pain, Lebron never approached him while he was down or even after he got up to say anything.

The announcers made a point to say Lebron isn't known as a dirty player and I never thought he was or is, but I do think he frequently shows poor sportsmanship. This was one of those occasions, plus the many, many times he dashes straight to the locker room after a loss rather than congratulate players on the other team. It is what it is. he is not required to show good sportmanship.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 18
January 28th, 2021 at 2:37:28 PM permalink
Lebron certainly could have been thrown out for that push. Hard foul with no attempt at making a play on the ball. My eye was drawn to the Laker bench after the play. One player's reaction (not sure who, but wearing white shoes and white leggings) was quite entertaining.

Quote: billryan

Bill Laimbeer must get on his knees daily, thankful that he was born when he was.

Not sure a guy with his skill set would even make it in today's NBA.
I also guess he wishes he was playing today making the kind $$$ current NBA players are.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/bill-laimbeer-net-worth/#:~:text=Career%20Earnings%3A%20During%20his%20time,in%201990%20by%20the%20Pistons.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 33
January 28th, 2021 at 2:47:33 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Well, redietz, we are not talking about 40 years ago and different rules. By todays rules Lebron James used not one but two hands to push a player in the air causing injury and that is a flagrant 2 foul and ejection and any other player would have received that penalty.

It is even more apparent on a replay which for some reason, this clip didn't show, yet they showed 20 replays of the second foul.

Just looking at Lebron's face, you could tell he knew he was wrong, although even though Embiid was on the floor a good 4-5 minutes in obvious pain, Lebron never approached him while he was down or even after he got up to say anything.

The announcers made a point to say Lebron isn't known as a dirty player and I never thought he was or is, but I do think he frequently shows poor sportsmanship. This was one of those occasions, plus the many, many times he dashes straight to the locker room after a loss rather than congratulate players on the other team. It is what it is. he is not required to show good sportmanship.

My bad, kewlJ. I was referring to the play where Embiid sticks his elbow in the defender's face while going up to shoot. I got the plays flipflopped. That was what I did all the time. If somebody's in your space, clear them out of your space. The majority of the time, you'd get a defensive foul called on that.

Sorry I got the plays mixed up.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 168
Thanks for this post from:
Jimmy2Times
February 7th, 2021 at 2:09:26 AM permalink

R.I.P. Leon Spinks........................the man who beat "The Greatest"...............................yes, I know, Ali was not in his prime, but still

what a great fight that was.............................Leon struggled in his life afterwards

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/06/sports/leon-spinks-dead.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
Thanks for this post from:
Jimmy2Timessmoothgrh
February 7th, 2021 at 9:04:02 AM permalink
I attended the rematch at the Superdome in September. My friend and I drove from Long Island in a van that couldn't do more than 50 miles an hour so we had to take secondary roads the whole way. The trip was a long series of disasters narrowly avoided, but six days later we got there. Only to find the guy whose van it was had been deployed to the Middle East and didn't leave us any money or a place to stay.
The night before the fight, Leon was on Bourbon Street partying as if it were the night after the fight.
We had tickets in the nosebleed section but a $5 " tip" got us moved down to the bottom of the second deck, so the fighters looked like dolls instead of insects. The arena was so smoke-filled it was like looking down through a cloud.
Mr. Spinks had served in the Marines and there were dozens of drunken Marines( and a few sober ones) looking to fight Ali fans, for supporting a draft dodger. The sideshow was better than the fight as Spinks simply didn't show up.
It was my first boxing event and strangely, my last live show would be ten years later when Leon's brother Micheal rolled over for Mike Tyson.
Rest in Peace

• Jump to: