terapined
  • Threads: 79
April 6th, 2018 at 8:58:35 PM permalink
Players to start as a PItcher and hit a HR in 3 straight games
Shohei Otani 2018
Babe Ruth 1930
Babe Ruth 1921
Babe Ruth 1920
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 6th, 2018 at 10:11:00 PM permalink
So he is now on pace to tie the 1961 Yankees Roger Maris' single season home run total of 61 four base dingers in his spare time, assuming he doesn't smack another one tonight.

But I'm still a bigot. And to keep his other part-time baseball job, he still better slide feet first on those rare occasions when he doesn't quite send it out of the ballpark.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
April 6th, 2018 at 10:30:23 PM permalink
Looks like pitchers are real careful when Ohtani is batting
Bottom of the 5th. Bases loaded 1 out
They walk Ohtani, Pujols scores. lol

Did Babe Ruth slide?
I'm sure he did or think he did
yet
Just cant picture the Big Bambino sliding :-)
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
April 7th, 2018 at 12:36:28 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

...<SNIP>...

Did Babe Ruth slide?
I'm sure he did or think he did
yet
Just cant picture the Big Bambino sliding :-)

Then you might like to picture this, part of a 1932 newsreel series of lessons from Mr. Ruth:

To see and hear him teaching the kids a proper slide (while wearing a starched dress shirt & a necktie!) see about the 4:15 mark.

Quote: Babe Ruth

...and notice my arms are in the air, preventing injuries to the wrists...

"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
April 7th, 2018 at 6:07:49 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

New players often succeed because their weaknesses aren't exposed early on. The Mets once had a promising rookie named Ron Swoboda. In those days, they were horrible but he was a bright spot for them, hitting a dozen homeruns leading to a coveted All Star spot. While there, he confided to a reporter he was surprised he didn't see a steady stream of curveball, as they were his kryptonite.
He hit four home runs the rest of the season and became a journeyman player.

After one of the greatest catches in World Series history if my memory serves me right.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
April 7th, 2018 at 7:24:42 AM permalink
in his lone pitching outing he struck out 6 in 6 innings and gave up only 1 walk

it doesn't look like he's at all intimidated by U.S. major league talent
𝘈 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.... ᴴᵉʳᵐᵃⁿ ᴹᵉˡᵛⁱˡˡᵉ
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 7th, 2018 at 5:01:21 PM permalink
Saw him 30-1 for MVP. I'd want at least twice that but it's an intriguing possibility.

With his reduced ABs the Angels could manipulate things so most SPs only get 1 or 2 looks at him.

What if he manages to crack 20 Hrs with around 300 PAs and a devent average. He also can run so toss in 5 steals.

If he does that and is an ace, i can see voters being swayed.

The biggest sticking point is that Trout is the actual MVP every year and is on the same team.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
April 7th, 2018 at 6:25:40 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Players to start as a PItcher and hit a HR in 3 straight games
Shohei Otani 2018
Babe Ruth 1930
Babe Ruth 1921
Babe Ruth 1920

Before you get too excited, how many players qualify for that ? Played three straight games and started one as a pitcher?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
April 7th, 2018 at 6:28:58 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

After one of the greatest catches in World Series history if my memory serves me right.

Yep, #4 Outfielder on the 1969 Mets. Ended up playing for the Expos and the Yankees( one of very few players to qualify for the Pee Wee Herman WS team, if one gets the joke) before becoming a sportscaster. He had a few shots on NY stations but seems to have made his mark in New Orleans.
While his catch was great, many think Tommie Agee's two catches were better.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
April 7th, 2018 at 7:51:23 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

If he does that and is an ace, i can see voters being swayed.

The biggest sticking point is that Trout is the actual MVP every year and is on the same team.

I think 30-1 seems very reasonable considering all of the publicity he will be getting. I agree with you about Trout, been the best for four years or so.
Living longer does not always infer +EV

• Jump to: