Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
March 19th, 2017 at 6:37:10 AM permalink
Yesterday was another example of the shamBA. The Cavs 'rested' Lebron and Kyrie, basically forfeiting a game to the Clippers. My question---- was there a betting line on the game available before it was announced they were sitting? Talk about being able to use info not yet available to the public.....
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
March 19th, 2017 at 7:19:57 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Yesterday was another example of the shamBA. The Cavs 'rested' Lebron and Kyrie, basically forfeiting a game to the Clippers. My question---- was there a betting line on the game available before it was announced they were sitting? Talk about being able to use info not yet available to the public.....

507  Cavaliers +2½ (-110) 218½ (-110) 120
 508  Clippers -2½ (-110) 218½ (-110) -140

The above was the line I had when I posted my picks yesterday............somewhere around 9:30 AM EST. Picks are per SBGglobal.
I'm OK with people getting rested. I am not OK with teams not announcing it the first thing in the morning.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco
March 19th, 2017 at 7:23:28 AM permalink
Today's Picks:
 Nets laying 100 to win 160
 76ers laying 100 to win 180
 Suns laying 100 to win 425
 Heat laying -250 to win 100
 Timberwolves laying 100 to win 130
 Lakers laying 100 to win 525
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
March 19th, 2017 at 7:29:31 AM permalink
I think SOOPOO has a great point about the "shamBA", but, as far as betting them, this is a predictable pattern for decades now, isn't it? Why not underbet those who know they're going into the playoffs, especially if they're playing a non-playoff team or have nothing to gain in the brackets with a win? You know they're either going to bench their franchise players or give them short minutes to minimize the risk of injury or fatigue.

I have to think lines are set with these factors in mind, but still it seems there's an edge to be gained (said as a casual observer, not as someone with money on the line).
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
steeldco
steeldco
March 19th, 2017 at 7:35:33 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think SOOPOO has a great point about the "shamBA", but, as far as betting them, this is a predictable pattern for decades now, isn't it? Why not underbet those who know they're going into the playoffs, especially if they're playing a non-playoff team or have nothing to gain in the brackets with a win? You know they're either going to bench their franchise players or give them short minutes to minimize the risk of injury or fatigue.

I have to think lines are set with these factors in mind, but still it seems there's an edge to be gained (said as a casual observer, not as someone with money on the line).

I don't know that you can call this pattern predictable. For example, San Antonio regularly rests players irrespective of whether they have locked up a playoff spot or not. I would be interested in knowing if there is indeed a pattern. If someone sees one please let us know. I don't see it, but I can be wrong......easily.

In addition, I would think that a coach knows really early if he's going to "rest" someone. They should announce it in the morning.
steeldco
steeldco
March 19th, 2017 at 8:08:45 AM permalink

Also, since this has opened the door again for one of my beliefs regarding the NBA Wrestling Association, I think that they need to have minutes limits for games. Something like maybe 3o minutes max per player. Reduce the types of fouls that can be called for resulting in less referee intervention in the outcome of a game. Doing this would force teams to have deeper rotations. The teams with the contrived 3 stars would not necessarily be the teams to beat. They would actually need more players surrounding the supposed stars, whose count would get reduced without the referees continually determining the outcomes of games and giving so called "stars" all of the calls. Parity would exist and we would have a better, and more honest, game.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
March 19th, 2017 at 7:15:10 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

Also, since this has opened the door again for one of my beliefs regarding the NBA Wrestling Association, I think that they need to have minutes limits for games. Something like maybe 3o minutes max per player. Reduce the types of fouls that can be called for resulting in less referee intervention in the outcome of a game. Doing this would force teams to have deeper rotations. The teams with the contrived 3 stars would not necessarily be the teams to beat. They would actually need more players surrounding the supposed stars, whose count would get reduced without the referees continually determining the outcomes of games and giving so called "stars" all of the calls. Parity would exist and we would have a better, and more honest, game.

That sounds like fun. Clean basketball over thuggery. It started really going south with the 90's Pistons IMO, and it's never really recovered, though Chicago tried. I see some echoes of a skills game in the Warriors. Not sure who else is out there, but I got away from caring probably 15 years ago. It wasn't coming back. Would probably have to give the 00s Spurs some props. Trailblazers before PJ Carlissimo, Non-Miami Phil Jackson teams, Utah if discounting Malone...meh. I'm just showing my age.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 19th, 2017 at 9:37:55 PM permalink

That sounds like fun. Clean basketball over thuggery. It started really going south with the 90's Pistons IMO, and it's never really recovered, though Chicago tried. I see some echoes of a skills game in the Warriors. Not sure who else is out there, but I got away from caring probably 15 years ago. It wasn't coming back. Would probably have to give the 00s Spurs some props. Trailblazers before PJ Carlissimo, Non-Miami Phil Jackson teams, Utah if discounting Malone...meh. I'm just showing my age.

Why did you use the word "thuggery" to define the current NBA and its players? Just curious, what is your definition of "thuggery"?
----------

The NBA does have problem with players resting for regular season games. Not sure how they will address/fix the issue. ABC can not be happy with back to back Saturday prime time games with star players sitting out.
March 11th GSW @ SA - GSW rested players. Result - SA blowout.
March 18th CLE @ LAC - CLE rested players. Result - LAC blowout.

I do not blame the players for this problem. Coaches/GMs/Owners/League scheduling are to blame for the problem.

For betting purposes be careful when teams play back-to-back games, 3 games in four nights etc. Avoid those games or avoid betting the NBA altogether until the playoffs...
steeldco
steeldco
March 20th, 2017 at 6:51:48 AM permalink
Man, you just got to be friggin' kidding me..................the Lakers give up 43 points to the Cavaliers in the 4th. quarter to lose by 5? Really? REALLY????

Yesterday's Results: -470
 Nets -100
 76ers +180
 Suns -100
 Heat -250
 Timberwolves -100
 Lakers -100

YTD:
Favorites -4114
Underdogs -740
Total -4854
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
March 20th, 2017 at 6:58:27 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Why did you use the word "thuggery" to define the current NBA and its players? Just curious, what is your definition of "thuggery"?
----------

The NBA does have problem with players resting for regular season games. Not sure how they will address/fix the issue. ABC can not be happy with back to back Saturday prime time games with star players sitting out.
March 11th GSW @ SA - GSW rested players. Result - SA blowout.
March 18th CLE @ LAC - CLE rested players. Result - LAC blowout.

I do not blame the players for this problem. Coaches/GMs/Owners/League scheduling are to blame for the problem.

For betting purposes be careful when teams play back-to-back games, 3 games in four nights etc. Avoid those games or avoid betting the NBA altogether until the playoffs...

Like I said, I go back to a lost age. It used to be about ball handling, team play, disciplined defense, balance and strategy. Now it's about throwing elbows, hard fouling, slamma-jamma lane driving with extra steps allowed only for superstars, and guys who can't bully their way to the basket taking bad - percentage perimeter shots (though some are quite good at it). Bo-ring. Thugs fouling each other with hard contact rather than respecting the fact that nobody's wearing pads and their career can end with a needless injury over a 2 point basket. Bleah.

I do think that's pretty astute analysis on your part of scheduling driving at least some of the problem.

I really liked what steeldco suggested above about a 30 minute game-time limit on all players. It would also result in a return to better team play, by necessity, I think, and that would be a real improvement.

• Jump to: