kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 9th, 2015 at 8:28:48 AM permalink
Maybe it is just selective memory, but it seems to me that dating back several years, the Thursday night ESPN televised college football game, has a extremely high rate of underdogs covering. I would go as far as to say home 'dogs' even have a winning record outright, even some pretty big dogs. Has anyone looked into this? I am only talking the ESPN nationally televised game. There is usually a second and/or third game on the betting board, so don't just look at Thursday night games.

I have done zero research, just speculating based on memory. I am wondering if anyone has looked into this.

Possible explanations: The short week and less preparation time favors the less talented team and sort of evens the playing field. Also, a 'bad' team, that may have given up on the season and be going through the motions, all of the sudden gets a spot on National TV to play in front of friends, family and the whole country, so for one game, they get inspired all over again and sometimes over achieve.
hailtotheskins
hailtotheskins
  • Threads: 11
October 10th, 2015 at 10:03:10 PM permalink
You're on to something with that, at least with the home dogs. Its the same as the Thursday night NFL game. Short week plus travel= big advantage for the home team imo
  • Jump to: