11 votes (57.89%)
5 votes (26.31%)
3 votes (15.78%)

19 members have voted

aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
October 26th, 2014 at 10:10:16 AM permalink
So if you were up early enough to watch this game from London today, you already know the Falcons dominated the first half and the Lions the second half

With 4 seconds left in the game, the Lions were going to attempt a 43 yard field goal to win the game
The kicker missed the field goal
A penalty flag was thrown--delay of game on the Lions
Rather than the game being over as it was a penalty on the Lions and they missed the FG,
The Lions were penalized 5 yards (making it now a 48 yard field goal attempt) and given a second bite at the apple
Of course, the kicker made the field goal and the Lions won

Should this happen? Should the Falcons have been allowed to decline the penalty? This rule seems to allow a penalized team to benefit from being penalized...your thoughts...
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
October 26th, 2014 at 10:18:49 AM permalink
Delay of game is an immediate whistle, and it should be. Same as a false start. There was no play. The fact that he kicked the football is irrelevant, there was no play.
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
October 26th, 2014 at 10:20:29 AM permalink
Nothing needs to be changed in the rules. The clock was already stopped, so no run-off was necessary. Had he made the first field goal and then missed the 2nd, would the falcons still be pissed?

Since it was a delay of game, the whistle was blown immediately before the snap and its like that play never happened. Sucks for the falcons, but their only option was to decline the yardage and make them kick the 43 yarder again, which they obviously weren't going to do.

Therefore, there is no benefit to being penalized. You lose 5 yards, the first kick does not matter, and you have to kick again from further away. Unless you are contending that kicking the first FG attempt is a benefit, this is clearly a disadvantage.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
October 26th, 2014 at 10:23:52 AM permalink
I don't believe the flag was actually thrown until after the attempt was made. There was no whistle
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
October 26th, 2014 at 10:26:44 AM permalink
Delay of game occurs when the play clock hits :00 before the ball is snapped. Therefore, there was a flag and a whistle (from the back judge) which killed the play immediately. Whether or not the actual whistle occurred before the snap is irrelevant. The clock hit :00, a penalty was called, and the play was immediately nullified.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
October 26th, 2014 at 10:39:55 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

I don't believe the flag was actually thrown until after the attempt was made. There was no whistle

Completely irrelevant.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 26th, 2014 at 10:48:16 AM permalink
For all we know, the kicker (or the snapper) heard the whistle, and that affected the spot/the kick.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
October 26th, 2014 at 10:57:47 AM permalink
I was watching the game and on the edge of my seat. (Lions fan, since the early '70s.)

I heard a whistle, stopping the play, before the kick.

Alas, I didn't record it and am unable to rewind and watch it again, to confirm.
Riva
Riva
  • Threads: 73
October 26th, 2014 at 11:34:29 AM permalink
Should be a fun flight back to Detroit.

From what I read, the Lion's went on the cheap chartering a plane that is for normal size people. Everybody was bitching when they landed in London. If it were me, I'd tell the coach, "Hey, I'm going to buy my own ticket home and fly in first."
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 26th, 2014 at 11:55:38 AM permalink
Quote: Riva

From what I read, the Lion's went on the cheap chartering a plane that is for normal size people. Everybody was bitching when they landed in London.

I understand the NFL is hoping to expand and have at least one team in Europe, i.e. London.

Whoa.

Seems wrong somehow.

Should the game expand out of North America?
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 26th, 2014 at 12:43:53 PM permalink
I thought the English hated our 'football'.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
October 26th, 2014 at 1:38:50 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I understand the NFL is hoping to expand and have at least one team in Europe, i.e. London.

Whoa.

Seems wrong somehow.

Especially when the little hamlet of Los Angeles doesn't have a team.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
October 26th, 2014 at 3:03:35 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

I was watching the game and on the edge of my seat. (Lions fan, since the early '70s.)
Alas, I didn't record it and am unable to rewind and watch it again, to confirm.

Ah, my mistake. I didn't quite hear the whistle before the kick. Watching it a few times on the live replays, the ref's whistle can clearly be heard as the ball was in the process of being kicked.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 26th, 2014 at 3:22:26 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

I couldn't believe it when the first one missed. I was like... again? Another game lost on a relatively easy field goal.

Then again, I thought at half time there was no chance the Lions had to get back into the game.

I've been a Lions fan since about 1989, and grew up about 3 miles from where they were training in Bagshot this week. My family was amused by that... I move half way around the world, and my favourite team visit just down the road.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 26th, 2014 at 3:34:08 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Whoa.

Seems wrong somehow.

It's a terrible idea. The scheduling would be a nightmare for west coast teams versus London teams. Come the play offs, it'd be a huge home advantage. Time differences ruin any idea of having a superbowl over there too.

While there's 80,000 or so who can fill the ground, it's because it's special. 8 games a year, and I think it'll fade. I bet a lot of the fans there were US ex-pats. It's not a hugely popular sport in the UK. Most other sports will outrank it. Certainly don't increase the number of teams and dilute the talent pool.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
bbcpjc
bbcpjc
  • Threads: 2
October 26th, 2014 at 4:43:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I thought the English hated our 'football'.

Based on what? All three games are a complete sell out. A million people turned out for the pre-game event for the first game this season. We started following in the 80's. Took a while I admit (screen went dark during the ads in the SB initially as we had nothing to fill the gaps at 2:00 am on a monday morning) but now it is an established sport here. Sky sports show two live games a week with multiple shows for highlights\commentary.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 26th, 2014 at 4:46:44 PM permalink
Based on they always make fun of it,
calling it not real 'football'.
bbcpjc
bbcpjc
  • Threads: 2
October 26th, 2014 at 4:50:30 PM permalink

Name your sources. It's a different game to what we call football but I am not aware of anyone 'making fun of it'.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 26th, 2014 at 4:50:46 PM permalink

We make fun of lots of things about the Yanks, like turning up late for two world wars. Doesn't mean we don't like your culture. Or some parts of it, at least. Given there's 60-70 million people on the islands, guess what? Tastes vary.

But, of course, you ARE the expert.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 26th, 2014 at 4:57:01 PM permalink
Quote: bbcpjc

Based on what? All three games are a complete sell out. A million people turned out for the pre-game event for the first game this season. We started following in the 80's. Took a while I admit (screen went dark during the ads in the SB initially as we had nothing to fill the gaps at 2:00 am on a monday morning) but now it is an established sport here. Sky sports show two live games a week with multiple shows for highlights\commentary.

It's a niche sport. A growing niche, but it's taken 20+ years to get where it is. I remember the days of Mick Luckhurst and the Channel 4 coverage with Gary Imlach, and Red-42, the magazine round up on C4 of the previous weeks action. Cricket, Rugby (both codes), horse racing are ahead of it, I'd guess. I suspect there's less following of ice hockey in the UK but more people watching live games in the leagues.

Do you know how well the grass-roots of the game is, and how well the amateur leagues are doing? It's 15+ years since I had anything to do with the BAFL...
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
October 31st, 2014 at 8:41:59 PM permalink
Quote: Riva

Should be a fun flight back to Detroit.

From what I read, the Lion's went on the cheap chartering a plane that is for normal size people. Everybody was bitching when they landed in London. If it were me, I'd tell the coach, "Hey, I'm going to buy my own ticket home and fly in first."

Do you have any more information/link on this? I've often wondered about charter flights for NFL/NBA/MLB or even NCAA(football) teams. Do they reconfigure the planes with larger seats(certainly available) or just spread out(remove every other row) or what?

As for players buying their own 1st class tickets home, I've read about that happening. The one story involved the coaches sitting in the first class section. Now I recall, it was the Atlanta Braves some years ago.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2014 at 12:55:58 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

We make fun of lots of things about the Yanks, like turning up late for two world wars. .

True that, best we should have stayed home
so y'all could be enjoying you're rightful
destiny. It wasn't our world war, it was
the bloody Europeans that couldn't
defend their own borders, and still can't.
  • Jump to: