LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
August 30th, 2013 at 5:55:41 PM permalink
I wont mention the name, on a sports picker who charges 300 per year, gave out a bad pick this week. No big deal, it happens. Except the humourous thing is that he went on his website to tell his followers that he gave out the bad pick on purpose in order to make a "pernt".

what the f? ////you made a bad pick ok, leave it at that. But no, the bad pick was om purpose to teach people a lesson. It wasnt a bad pick..it was a valuable lesson.

In anticipation of people saying" hey wait, why should I follow any of your picks goig foward since you may want to make another "pernt"...he does throw in that he wont do that again

how nice of him
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 30th, 2013 at 6:30:09 PM permalink
What the hell is a "pernt"?
Fighting BS one post at a time!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 30th, 2013 at 9:38:58 PM permalink
It's a 'point" said by someone with an attitude, IMO; the only people I know who throw an "r" into a word that doesn't have it are from the upper Midwest (IA, MN). "Warsh" instead of "wash" "Warshington" instead of "Washington". etc. But even we said "point".
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
August 31st, 2013 at 1:03:33 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It's a 'point" said by someone with an attitude, IMO

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be something like that after I googled "pernt", but I was confused when the OP wrote that the guy said it on his website. Thought the guy actually wrote out "pernt". :D
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
August 31st, 2013 at 1:34:37 AM permalink
Gotta luv the handicapping pay sites out there that give out one side under one of their aliases and then the opposite side under another one. Read some stories online where some just threw a dart or picked a team out of a hat- all that mattered was making sales, lol.
LarryS
LarryS
August 31st, 2013 at 6:14:36 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be something like that after I googled "pernt", but I was confused when the OP wrote that the guy said it on his website. Thought the guy actually wrote out "pernt". :D

the guy actually wrote "pernt". He sells his subscriptions from his message board where you send cash or check only, get a code number for a telephone account where you hear your picks daily. Then a few times a week on his message board he comments on how well he did etc or bemoans his bad beats.

I think he uses the word "pernt" to sound tough...like a steriotypical street bookie you might see in the movies in the shadows of the NJ badlands.

its funny when he uses the word "cheerce" instead of choice. He is so so streetwise. His picks must be much more credible.

so yes he claims to have purposly given out a bad pick in order to make a "pernt". So if someone lost 5 dollats on that "pernt"...not a big deal...but if someone lost 500.....thats an expensive lesson.

But from my perspective..it was just a bad pick and all the rest is a tap dance. Just as when he gives out a pick and the next day tells us in his thread that it was a bad beat. In sports there are wins and losses. Bad beats go into the loss column. If your team pulls out a win in the last seconds...is that a "bad win"...where you should have lost but you managed to win? Of course not. There are dozens of opportunities throughout the game for your team to win it or lose it...not just in the last minutes of the game. Giving the "bad beat" excuse is just trying to rationalize an incorrect pick. There were many people who picked the other side and won.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 31st, 2013 at 6:19:20 AM permalink
There are definitely bad beats and lucky wins... You just need to be honest about whether you were lucky or good, or unlucky or bad.
LarryS
LarryS
August 31st, 2013 at 6:48:18 AM permalink
the final score is all that counts and all that you get piad on. Whether your team scored 21 points in the first quarter and held on to win 24-23 or fell behind by 21 came back and won in the last seconds on a fiedl goal 24-23...its all the same in the won/loss column.

For example, a late game loss comes to mind that I bet on and was on the news locally, so I know how I lost. 3 years ago college basketball

Virg Commonwealth flys into nevada for last game of season. Nevada is a 1.5 point fave. With 2 seconds to go, nevada is up by 4. VC inbounds the ball from the extreme opposite end of the court, a guy at the opposite foul line catches the ball and heaves a 3/4 court shot up...it goes thru...nevada wins by 1 point...the bet on nevada loses. Was it that shot that lost the bet? or was it the 12 missed foul shots throughout the game or a couple of players that had poor shooting throughout the game? So that was a legitamate loss because of many factors....and it wasnt just a last second shot that made me lose. I didnt cry "bad beat". I lost the bet throughout the game at the foul line. There were probably plenty of people who bet the other side and won. And they deserved to win.

A loss or win in the last seconds is a culmination of dozens of plays throughout the game that put you in that position to either win or lose at the end.

the term "bad beat" is just a security blanket that gives people reason to continue betting with confidence, knowing that they really really picked the right team even though their bank account shows a loss.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
August 31st, 2013 at 7:35:27 AM permalink
Quote: LarryS

the guy actually wrote "pernt".

That's even funnier. lol
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 31st, 2013 at 7:41:34 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
LarryS
LarryS
August 31st, 2013 at 7:47:51 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Was it Archie Bunker?

now THAT is funny
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 31st, 2013 at 7:51:03 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 31st, 2013 at 7:54:59 AM permalink
So you thinking a team was going to win and they lose by 48 is no different than a team winning by 1 on a 69 yard field goal with 1 second left? I would think going forward you might feel a little better about your handicapping skills if you lost by one.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
August 31st, 2013 at 7:57:12 AM permalink
One of the funniest things I ever heard was at a ball game. After a guy named 'Hoyt' happened to get hurt, someone in the crowd (obviously from back east) yelled out, "Hert got hoit!"
LarryS
LarryS
August 31st, 2013 at 8:09:20 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

He would say "pernt" "terlet", basically turn any "oy" sound into "er"

carroll Oconner was just acting. I think this sports picker is just an uneducated oaf that wears his lack of education as a badge of honor in the sports picking world.

he has been quoted as a person who says he detests anything that requires effort for accomplishment.

and knowing this valuable view of the world...people actually send him money for sports picks. A guy that detests effort. Hmmm

It was mentioned by someone earlier about services giving out both sides to different people. I always wonderedif that went on and wouldnt be surprised. If you can hook half the people who inquire...you are doing pretty well.

the thing about pickers is this.. especially today with the internet available to everyone, and how easy it is to communicate success....if someone was indeed head and shoulders above the rest consistantly...we would know about it. Everyone else would be out of business...and this one guru would have all the subscribers.

But then again if someone was indeed head and shoulders above the rest...whydo they need me? They can make their money quietly with their own picks.

billy walters has jets, golf courses, homes, other businesses...all without asking me to subscribe to a picking service.
LarryS
LarryS
August 31st, 2013 at 8:28:02 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

So you thinking a team was going to win and they lose by 48 is no different than a team winning by 1 on a 69 yard field goal with 1 second left? I would think going forward you might feel a little better about your handicapping skills if you lost by one.

I was talking about the "bad beat" whiners and excuse makers.

when your team gets blown out...THAT is NOT refered to as a "bad beat"

But if my team goes up by 21 early and loses on a 69 yard field goal at the end 24-23..i..people moan "bad beat"
But if my team falls behind by 21 early, and never makes it back, never gets the lead, and losses 24-23....that is not a bad beat because nothing was decided int he final minutes.
to me they are the same.,..both losses

both loses where my losing team had opportunities throughout the game to get extra points orprevent points by the other team...but failed.

both are loses of equal financial consequence.

if the opposing team kicked a 69 yard field goal in the third quarter to go ahead, and no more scoring ensued...it makes no difference if the field goal was made in the last seconds of the forth quarter. Its just a loss.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 31st, 2013 at 10:13:05 AM permalink
Somewhere Stu Feiner is laughing
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
August 31st, 2013 at 11:18:17 AM permalink
to the OP-

Do you pay this guy for picks?

Why won't you name him? He deserves to be called out.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 31st, 2013 at 1:00:13 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

. "Warsh" instead of "wash" "Warshington" instead of "Washington". .

I see no reason to bring my W Virginia relatives into this.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
LarryS
LarryS
August 31st, 2013 at 3:21:05 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

to the OP-

Do you pay this guy for picks?

Why won't you name him? He deserves to be called out.

I once paid him 10 years ago...same type of nonsense. Only a half ofa year though(200.00)..lesson well learned. I got the "pernt"...and fled
Frogger
Frogger
  • Threads: 14
August 31st, 2013 at 7:21:57 PM permalink
I don't get it. What was the exact pernt he was making?
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 31st, 2013 at 8:54:54 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I once paid him 10 years ago...same type of nonsense. Only a half ofa year though(200.00)..lesson well learned. I got the "pernt"...and fled

Come on, we know who it is from reading about LarryS's bete noir in other threads... :)

Course, this is further proof he's a has been in the world of betting.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 31st, 2013 at 10:03:30 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I see no reason to bring my W Virginia relatives into this.

Hahaha EB...maybe so, but this is pure Iowa corn back in the day to me.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: