odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 312
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 4:31:09 AM permalink
A question posed to the Wizard during the latest "ask anything" live youtube event was about whether Professor Slots was worth listening to. So I don't know if anyone else has, but I investigated a little. 

In his original video, he tells us he is a successful gambler and a prof. at not one but two universities. He specializes in Pattern Recognition [uh-oh] ,  Decision Analysis, and System Simulation. He says he is an Aerospace Engineer as well. 8 degrees hang on his wall. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtYmYVlVKpQ short video.

So what does he say to do? I'm not sure how many more videos I'll watch, but the closest thing to something solid I can find is 'the Goodness Ratio'.

So in this next video the professor says you should check out the Goodness Ratio, and that is determined this way: "if the top jackpot is in currency, divide it by both the denomination and the maximum credits. If the top jackpot is displayed in credits, divide it by only the maximum credits. " ... he then gives an example of 6000/3 but does not say if 2000 is good or bad or what. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-sCJNpsJHU  very short video

In the next video I examined, he spends much the time tossing out tidbits of advice, some good, like only playing with what you can afford to lose. He again goes into the Goodness Ratio without explaining why knowing this helps. One ratio was only 800, so I guess he's saying that is bad. 

But he also churns out some dubious advice I'll call him out on. 
- he refers to RTP, return to player, as "odds of winning"
- asserts "be careful initially, making as few as 20 bets, to determine if it happens to be a bad machine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag4NwvaN0io  a bit longer video

bottom line: it's the first time I've heard anyone claim there's any reason to look at the paytable of a slot machine. Until someone I respect can say there is something to that, I'm putting this guy down as an opportunistic BS artist.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
odiousgambit
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:22:51 AM permalink
I don't know who this poor man's Robert DeNiro is, but just from your description and reading the titles of the videos, it's total nonsense.

I'm afraid I have some other work that I must be doing over the next few days...and I am probably about, "Debunked out," for a few days anyway...so maybe this upcoming weekend or next week I will do an overall review of his Youtube channel and watch a few hours worth of videos.

I'm sure it will be entertaining, if the definition of, 'Entertaining,' is wanting to blow one's own brains out. (This is a joke)

His website sells one hour private discussions for $297, so we're already off to a good start. People can compare that to someone like myself or Wizard who sometimes identify beatable slots, for free, and explain why they're beatable. We're also far from the only credible sources. Most of us who do openly discuss these things at all do so for free, so that should tell you everything you need to know about Professor Slots.

One reviewer (on his site, of course) tells of winning $1,272 on a Tarzan slot when visiting Las Vegas. That's a ringing endorsement. I doubt if anyone has ever won such a windfall on a slot machine without his advice ever in the history of slot machines.

He has some sort of online course that, at '50% off,' is $97.

Would you like to know what machines I know about? You have my number. I will give you 50% off, which makes it free, because 50% off $0.00 would still be $0.00.

You can also access his, "Slots community," for $35...which should be really useful for people who don't know how to do a Google or Facebook search for free groups.

I'm not saying he's a scam just yet, even though he almost certainly is, but that's the way it's looking. Anyway, I'll get to it this weekend. Probably start drinking again. Is that was this is about? You really want me to change my physical relationship to the wagon, don't you? (JK)
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 312
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:41:46 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

preserving link only
link to original post

well now, you were the first to joke about going back to the bottle. So I am only hoping joking about it, as you continue to do, is helping your vow to go Total T. I think you knew that already, but some others may feel I'm a bit out of line with it
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 5:58:30 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

preserving link only
link to original post

well now, you were the first to joke about going back to the bottle. So I am only hoping joking about it, as you continue to do, is helping your vow to go Total T. I think you knew that already, but some others may feel I'm a bit out of line with it
link to original post

There's no offense taken on my end. If nothing else, I think the fact that I have an alcohol abuse problem is pretty funny, so anyone can make whatever jokes/statements about that they wish. That said, the jokes on my end have a tinge of truth to them...seeing all of this misinformation all over the place really does make me want to drink!

It's enough that gambling can become problematic for some people, as it is, without charlatans (I am not saying Professor Slots is yet...haven't watched the vids) charging people money to convince them that they can win whilst, "Teaching," them nothing that actually yields a mathematical advantage.

A fool and his money, I guess. I'll do some watching and reviewing over the weekend, so you can probably expect an article on that sometime next week. Can't combat all of the misinformation, though; it's hard enough just to keep it more-or-less in check on this forum.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 8
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:00:51 AM permalink

Would you like to know what machines I know about? You have my number. I will give you 50% off, which makes it free, because 50% off $0.00 would still be $0.00.
link to original post

Your expertise is worth at least triple that.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Mission146
Mission146
Dieter
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:04:48 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

Really? You think I could get that much? I'd hate to overcharge.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:05:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Be a steal at twice the price.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 8
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 6:16:33 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I bought a copy of "Slot Experts Guide to Playing Slots" by Robison a few months ago for perhaps $4.

I think you could get at least half that for a 4 hour one on one coaching session.

(I gave the book away to an acquaintance because he just wasn't understanding the concept of a progressive meter. It was worth the $4 to not spend 3 more hours on the phone trying to explain it.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
Mission146
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:23:45 AM permalink
Some stuff vis-a-vis Progressives is likely legitimate information, but if the book only covered basic concepts, then people could get that for free.

When it comes to Progressives, the only information that would ever conceivably worth paying for would be play points as those would require either a combination empirical/mathematical analysis or someone actually having access to the PAR Sheets. Even that would represent only a good starting point given the fact that machines with the same title could have different RTP's, and sometimes, different probabilities of hitting the Progressives to begin with.

Of course, anyone selling such information for money wouldn't make a big point out of making sure the buyer knows that, at least, not until they have already made the purchase.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 203
Mission146
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:47:32 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I'd certainly add another zero to the end of his pay scale. Possibly even two. Even then I'm not sure he would be paid what he is worth.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.

• Jump to: