aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
December 26th, 2015 at 11:41:09 AM permalink
Harrah's AC high limit slots have either cell phone USB ports built into them or have them in between each slot machine - very nice touch
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 1160
Joined: Jan 29, 2012
December 26th, 2015 at 11:43:53 AM permalink
Are they downloading your phone memory while charging ?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
  • Posts: 8158
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
December 26th, 2015 at 11:44:49 AM permalink
Curious accomodation, given the aversion casinos have toward patrons filming inside the casino.

Also I thought casinos wanted to block out as much "reality" as possible, to keep patrons in the "zone?"
"What, me worry?"
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
December 26th, 2015 at 11:53:19 AM permalink



RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
December 26th, 2015 at 12:40:32 PM permalink
Many high limit rooms have this. Poker rooms, I believe, do as well.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 2107
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
December 26th, 2015 at 12:43:25 PM permalink
Harrah's LV has the same, I think. One of those high limit LV CET.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 1155
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
December 26th, 2015 at 12:55:00 PM permalink
Rumors that Sam's Town has pacemaker recharging slots are unfounded :)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
December 26th, 2015 at 1:18:18 PM permalink
I also saw a phone charger on the "live" roulette machine at the bottom of the escalator at Bally's AC.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
December 26th, 2015 at 3:00:00 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Are they downloading your phone memory while charging ?



All of the ones I have seen only have the pins for charging and no data connection. They are more worried about you hacking into the slot machine than they are about your data.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
December 26th, 2015 at 6:47:04 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

All of the ones I have seen only have the pins for charging and no data connection. They are more worried about you hacking into the slot machine than they are about your data.



Interesting. Which pins are used for data transfer? And power?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
December 26th, 2015 at 6:54:37 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Interesting. Which pins are used for data transfer? And power?



Pin 1 is +5v Pin 4 is Gnd

2&3 are data
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
December 27th, 2015 at 2:05:47 AM permalink
Red Rock has chargers for your cell phones at higher limit slots, and I was told the Caesars poker room also has chargers for phones at the table.

I have never run into a problem at any Vegas casino about shooting photos at slot machines to show jackpots. The only problem I ran into was shooting photos with patrons in view.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
December 27th, 2015 at 4:51:29 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Pin 1 is +5v Pin 4 is Gnd

2&3 are data

Is it remotely possible that someone could find a way to alter a phone to transfer data though the charging pins? I would assume not. I can't imagine a casino/games manufacturer would take that risk.But on the other hand technology+ hackers = who the hell knows.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
December 27th, 2015 at 4:53:44 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Red Rock has chargers for your cell phones at higher limit slots, and I was told the Caesars poker room also has chargers for phones at the table.

I have never run into a problem at any Vegas casino about shooting photos at slot machines to show jackpots. The only problem I ran into was shooting photos with patrons in view.

Until you try to gather evidence the machines are paying incorrect (like in NY)
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
December 27th, 2015 at 7:10:07 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Is it remotely possible that someone could find a way to alter a phone to transfer data though the charging pins? I would assume not. I can't imagine a casino/games manufacturer would take that risk.But on the other hand technology+ hackers = who the hell knows.



If anything, I think you'd have to modify the cable itself, where it connects with the USB outlet. But even then -- I don't see that getting anywhere, since the pins likely only have charging power and not the ability to transfer data. Plus -- where would the data even go?

It'd be like trying to send data to an electrical outlet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
December 27th, 2015 at 5:12:45 PM permalink
Quote: RS

If anything, I think you'd have to modify the cable itself, where it connects with the USB outlet. But even then -- I don't see that getting anywhere, since the pins likely only have charging power and not the ability to transfer data. Plus -- where would the data even go?

It'd be like trying to send data to an electrical outlet.


Yea, no chance that port is hooked up to anything other than 5 volts DC.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
December 27th, 2015 at 6:08:14 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Quote: RS

If anything, I think you'd have to modify the cable itself, where it connects with the USB outlet. But even then -- I don't see that getting anywhere, since the pins likely only have charging power and not the ability to transfer data. Plus -- where would the data even go?

It'd be like trying to send data to an electrical outlet.


Yea, no chance that port is hooked up to anything other than 5 volts DC.



That was my thought. I am sure they are just hook to electric and go no where near the computer. I saw these in Monte Carlo near the front as we were running through the casino trying to get to a show.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
December 28th, 2015 at 2:12:57 AM permalink
Are you guys really concerned about being hacked when your cell phone is plugged into a charging station? Or was this a joke that took on a life of its own?
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1033
Joined: Jul 9, 2010
December 28th, 2015 at 3:06:36 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Are you guys really concerned about being hacked when your cell phone is plugged into a charging station? Or was this a joke that took on a life of its own?

It is a real concern. For example, cells can be recharged via a USB cable connection to a laptop or PC, but that connection also provides a network connection between the devices. Usually you are prompted on the cell to "trust" the other device before access to cell data is allowed. The opportunity for a hack is there. I will be looking for the power/ground pins only before using a public charging station. If "trust" is granted the foreign device can read and delete cell data, such as photos. It's not much of a stretch to imagine hacked access could do much more without permission.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
December 28th, 2015 at 4:23:06 AM permalink
Really? You are that worried about it? Then you should just stay off the grid. If someone wants to hack they aren't wasting their time going after the 45 people who might use that one port. They are going after big business and their data.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1033
Joined: Jul 9, 2010
December 28th, 2015 at 4:38:53 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Really? You are that worried about it? Then you should just stay off the grid. If someone wants to hack they aren't wasting their time going after the 45 people who might use that one port. They are going after big business and their data.

Is your reply to my post? Ever hear of a botnet? If so, do you think the hackers behind them are spear phishing or using buckshot?
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
December 28th, 2015 at 4:51:44 AM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

Is your reply to my post? Ever hear of a botnet? If so, do you think the hackers behind them are spear phishing or using buckshot?



I don't know what those words are. I just elect to not worry about it. Besides I don't do anything on my phone that can be hcaked anyways.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
December 28th, 2015 at 8:21:52 AM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

It is a real concern. For example, cells can be recharged via a USB cable connection to a laptop or PC, but that connection also provides a network connection between the devices. Usually you are prompted on the cell to "trust" the other device before access to cell data is allowed. The opportunity for a hack is there. I will be looking for the power/ground pins only before using a public charging station. If "trust" is granted the foreign device can read and delete cell data, such as photos. It's not much of a stretch to imagine hacked access could do much more without permission.


I agree it's in a realm of physical possibility, but why would a casino hack your phone?

I think players having physical access to a data port on a machine is literally something casino execs have nightmares about.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
December 28th, 2015 at 9:48:53 AM permalink
I've seen charging stations in poker rooms here in LA. They're set up against a wall. I think the only danger is that someone might walk off with the wrong phone.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1033
Joined: Jul 9, 2010
December 28th, 2015 at 9:59:50 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I agree it's in a realm of physical possibility, but why would a casino hack your phone?

Yes, the casino probably has no interest in hacking cells, but you are also banking on the integrity of the casino system security if you connect with their system on a network level. Consider the recent case of Juniper firewalls for which hack code was discovered in their programming: the specialized systems put in place to ensure security are compromised. I would expect the casino to have an air-gap between their gaming systems and any Internet-facing devices, but as the Iranians discovered with the Stuxnet attack on their centrifuges, even that can be defeated. If the casinos really wanted to hack cells they probably would have used a Wi-Fi service based attack by now. How many people even blink an eye when connecting to the nearest free Wi-Fi? I'm just talkin' possibilities, not draw your pistol and put your back to the wall.

Quote: gamerfreak

I think players having physical access to a data port on a machine is literally something casino execs have nightmares about.

Absolutely! However, the greatest threat is from those who have been granted access to the systems.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
December 28th, 2015 at 12:44:56 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Really? You are that worried about it? Then you should just stay off the grid. If someone wants to hack they aren't wasting their time going after the 45 people who might use that one port. They are going after big business and their data.

You would think that's the case unfortunately sometimes people just do things because they can. You could ask yourself why would anyone make up multiple names and sock puppet accounts on a forum just to make up a bunch of dumb stuff.

As far as someone putting. Is some hack on a charging station well not worried about it and I'm willing to take the risk.

It would suck if something messed up my phone.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
December 28th, 2015 at 12:51:00 PM permalink
MGM Detroit here won't even let you plug into a wall socket any longer. They'd rather you leave to charge it up.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
December 28th, 2015 at 1:22:49 PM permalink
TAG Lounge at Linq has USB charging ports just underneath the bar.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 1155
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
December 28th, 2015 at 3:30:37 PM permalink
Seems like the casinos prefer customers stay in the seat.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
December 28th, 2015 at 4:43:44 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

You would think that's the case unfortunately sometimes people just do things because they can. You could ask yourself why would anyone make up multiple names and sock puppet accounts on a forum just to make up a bunch of dumb stuff.

As far as someone putting. Is some hack on a charging station well not worried about it and I'm willing to take the risk.

It would suck if something messed up my phone.



Haha yeah very true. I recant my station.

In all seriousness there is no way a casino wants your phone info if you are playing slots. Now if people are at a blackjack table then I could understand the worry.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 1160
Joined: Jan 29, 2012
December 28th, 2015 at 5:02:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

MGM Detroit here won't even let you plug into a wall socket any longer. They'd rather you leave to charge it up.



For $10 you can recharge anywhere you want

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-portable-charger-cobalt-blue/4212601.p?id=1219708509417&skuId=4212601
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
December 28th, 2015 at 5:34:55 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

For $10 you can recharge anywhere you want

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-portable-charger-cobalt-blue/4212601.p?id=1219708509417&skuId=4212601



I have 2. Great purchase IMO. My wife uses her camera on the phone more than the phone. On trips we would have to stop and charge for half hour. Now we can charge while walking.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
December 28th, 2015 at 6:37:11 PM permalink
Most casinos have unrestricted cell phone reception in their buildings. Wouldn't there be a greater risk from eavesdropped through that system than from stealing data when you plug in to charge?
itsmejeff
itsmejeff
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 75
Joined: Aug 6, 2012
January 5th, 2016 at 3:52:35 PM permalink
No cables? Wouldn't most people leave the charging cable in the hotel room?
  • Jump to: